• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

alakazam or gardevoir?

grandmaster192

Tiger zord!
    Years
    • Age 35
    • Seen Aug 30, 2006
    Witch is better? I can't decide witch to use. I will not be using mewtwo any more so I want to use one of these instead.

shanecdavis

Prof. Davis
    Years
    • Age 52
    • Utah
    • Seen Jul 27, 2010
    I would suggest Gengar, but if it is ONLY between those two it depends on what role this Poke will be filling your team. While Gardevoir has much better Base SDef (30 higher) and HP (13 higher) stats, Alakazam has higher stats in the two most important categories - SAtk (10 higher) and Spd (40 higher). So again, while Gardevoir can be tankish on the special side, it is not the special sweeper that Zam is.

jc_rcw

:God:
    Years
    Zam is pretty versitile, there's the knock off set, trickband, encorezam, and just variations of cmzam so I like it better than gardervoir.

aragornbird

(。◕‿‿◕。)
    Years
    ~*^*~~*^*~ ~*^*~ ~*^*~ ~*^*~~*^*~

Only use Gardevoir if you can't trade to evolve Kadabra. Otherwise, go with Alakazam. As long as you have another Pokemon to take physical hits from things like Snorlax, Zam rocks in it's special attacking and versatility.

To be fair, Gardevoir has great special defense and can surprise opponents with Destiny Bond which is pretty awesome.

Fr0st

Random Crazy Person
    Years
    Zam may be better but combine Will-O-Wisp with calm mind and you got yourself a pokemon that can force switches like a *****. Too bad it doesnt have recover as it has to rely on its bad speed and rest. Zam is better but Gardy looks so **** cool^^ Too bad pokemon who look cool generally suck

aragornbird

(。◕‿‿◕。)
    Years

No swearing please. Since the board censors them out, you might as well use more appropriate words in their place.

jc_rcw

:God:
    Years
    ice_blade said:
    Zam may be better but combine Will-O-Wisp with calm mind and you got yourself a pokemon that can force switches like a *****. Too bad it doesnt have recover as it has to rely on its bad speed and rest. Zam is better but Gardy looks so **** cool^^ Too bad pokemon who look cool generally suck
    Gardy has wish, so that can kinda do recover's job.

aragornbird

(。◕‿‿◕。)
    Years

Well, immunity to Ground, Normal, and Fighting moves for one thing. But it doesn't get any special STAB which has always been annoying yet it gets along fine without it.

shanecdavis

Prof. Davis
    Years
    • Age 52
    • Utah
    • Seen Jul 27, 2010
    Thanks again, aragorn. Gengar's immunities and high Base SAtk and Spd make it a great SubPunchingBoltBeamer. Unlike Zam that only can use the elemental Punches, Gar gets IB and TB. Plus it can also use Giga Drain as a good Pert counter, Fire Punch for the Steels/Bugs, and has STAB Shadow Ball as well. Extremely versatile and a little unpredictable, as far as the set goes. I used to run Zam until I learned how to use McGar.

Synchronize

Donphan: My Fourth Love
    Years
    • Age 34
    • Seen Oct 5, 2008
    grandmaster192 said:
    Hmm.... So Gangar is a better sweeper then alakazam?

Not IMO. Alakazam has more speed and power, and can potential cripple blissey with Trickband. Also gets Calm Mind and STAB on Psychic. Gengar's just the better Skarmbliss counter.

M£A†¥

Banned
    Years
    Gardvoir is the best psychic type ever!

I like Gardvoir better, I only like the pokemon, only if its a female, but I hate it when Gardvoir is a male becuase I always think it had a sex change.

Johnny Boy~

Bom Chika Wah Wah
    Years
    • Age 31
    • Seen May 26, 2007
    I don't know...

I personally think that alakazam and Gravador are equal. Zam has some things better, but so does Dor. I totally think that Xatu is better than both, but since he is a bird and all....

M£A†¥

Banned
    Years
    Something Is Missing................

I realy think a poll should be listed on the thread so we will find out who is the better pokemon.

Synchronize

Donphan: My Fourth Love
    Years
    • Age 34
    • Seen Oct 5, 2008
    A poll doesnt determine which is better. Facts do. And the fact is that Alakazam is better. Based on how standard OU is played, both are taken out at about the same rate, only Alakazam can hit harder, and with Trickbanding, cripples blissey.

shanecdavis

Prof. Davis
    Years
    • Age 52
    • Utah
    • Seen Jul 27, 2010
    con said:
    I personally think that alakazam and Gravador are equal. Zam has some things better, but so does Dor. I totally think that Xatu is better than both, but since he is a bird and all....
    Except for the fact that it is slower, has a far lower Base SAtk, and adds a nasty weakness to Electric, Ice, and Rock. :\

I agree with Synch. This really isn't a popularity contest. GM192 asked which was better, and Zam overall is the better of the two.

Espy Psyche

General of Pokemon Defender
    Years
    Give Gardevoir Espyblock and it will be very strong. Gardevoir might be a better Espyblock user than even Espy, considering that it has higher SD and DEF. Go with this Gardevoir over any Zam.
    Gardevoir@Leftovers
    EVs: 220 SA/100 SD/120 SPD/70 DEF
    Nature: Modest (SA+/ATK-)
    Psychic
    Wish
    Fire Punch
    Reflect

This is the e4 recommended set, the best psychic attack-blocker in existence. This has slightly higher DEF and HP than Espy, along with higher SD. Espy has higher SA and SPD, but it is not that important. Gardy's Fire attack is stronger than Espy's as well.

Pyrotechnix

what's that you did there
    Years
    lol late replies.

Gardevoir is better for the more varied movepool and the defenses. That, and Trace can really be cool if you come in on the right thing.

Alakazam is better for sweeping.

My verdict: Alakazam, just because I've used it longer :/

Back