• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Alanto Dex

Years
    • Seen Apr 10, 2012
    Well hello!
    I made this thread to show you all my dex. It is not finish and so I will update it whenever I make a new sprite. I have made all the sprites except for Lizleaf, which was done by my good friend, Lilfurman,
    I can also take sprite requests. If I do accept your request, please be patient.
    Alanto Region Dex
    https://i246.photobucket.com/albums/gg109/pikachu500/AlantoNewdex.png
    Alanto Region Dex
    Alanto Dex

Last edited:

Chesu

Boss Carrot
    Years
  • Your sprites aren't bad overall, but there are a few problem areas. Mostly, it's the faces; Pokemon generally have easy-to-recognize faces that people can instantly identify.

Shrice and Shrat could both use a bit of reworking. Shrat's body has great linework, but the same can't be said about Shrice. It also lacks an adequate palette; the background hind leg is the same shade as the fore one, which makes it visually confusing unless you look closely. Shrat is fine, but with the purple head/thorax, black hind, and pink tail, it brings Grumpig to mind. I like the wiry whiskers, they're very rat-like, but you shouldn't try to make your designs too similar to normal animals.

The shape of Pupky's head, combined with the design of its eyes, make it look a bit too close to Yooterii. I'm sure it's unintentional, but I can't help but see it. Neither it nor its evolution are very interesting to look at. That's not a disparagement, I'm just trying to help you improve them. They could use some more interesting detail... coloration, markings, maybe a wing-shaped design on the side. Just something to break up the monotony of white on pale, unsaturated brown. Nidition has a problem similar to Pupky, in that it reminds me of Froslass with a dash of Latias. Again, it's not your fault, but you should do your best to avoid designs similar to existing Pokemon.

The biggest faceless offenders are Algle and Alque, and they seem to be in a different, more simple style... arguably too simple. Are they old, compared to the other sprites? In any case, they could use some shading and palette revisions. I really like Alame's design though; if you made the body and smoke(?) look more like they belong together and added a bit more interesting detail (anything that will make it look less like a big red expance), you'd really have something.

While I'm mostly known as a spriter, my biggest concern with your designs is actually the names. Shrice, yeah, I guess, but Shrat sounds harsh and somewhat naughty. I imagine Liquail is a contraction of Light and Quail, but you have to admit that you can't help but think liquid when you see liq. Alternatives might be Elequail, Sparquail, Dynamiquail, or Jaquail.

I'm just going to openly be mean here: I don't like the Maggaby line names. Maggaby is a maggot, sure, but it's too close to Magby. Teefly is better, and doesn't really need to be changed, but I think using "teen" is kind of... Well, lame. Especially when you take into consideration that it's preceded by the word "baby" and succeeded by the word "adult". Adulfly isn't a very pleasant name any way you look at it. Now, I know I'm coming down hard with these three, but it's only because of how great the designs are! They should have names that are befitting of the sprites.

I know that this is a pixel art board, and I shouldn't be critiquing the names so much, but... Pupky? I can only assume Puppy+Sky, and it's cute-sounding, but most people won't see the "sky" in there. Pupsky would be better, but it's far too obvious. For that matter, the word puppy is overused in fakemon. Of course, as I said it IS a cute name, and there's nothing strictly wrong with it. Its evolution, however, confuses me. Banal? It's nice that it's not just AnimalNameTypeSynonym (I think?), but why Banal?

Overall, I like your sprites, and think you're off to a great start (even if my criticism seemed a little harsh). You should probably ditch your current numbering system, though; if you feel the need to fill all the spots, a sense of "I can't do this" will set in pretty quickly. It may be best to just make the creatures that you feel like making, and worry about the Pokedex later.

Also, isn't the Anoleaf line from Pokemon Tanzanite? Were you a spriter for them?

Last edited:
    Years
    • Seen Apr 10, 2012
    Your sprites aren't bad overall, but there are a few problem areas. Mostly, it's the faces; Pokemon generally have easy-to-recognize faces that people can instantly identify.
    I know which Pokemon you mean. I'll explain those later.

Shrice and Shrat could both use a bit of reworking. Shrat's body has great linework, but the same can't be said about Shrice. It also lacks an adequate palette; the background hind leg is the same shade as the fore one, which makes it visually confusing unless you look closely. Shrat is fine, but with the purple head/thorax, black hind, and pink tail, it brings Grumpig to mind. I like the wiry whiskers, they're very rat-like, but you shouldn't try to make your designs too similar to normal animals.
    Well, the thing is... I like to re-do my sprites when I'm finish with the whole dex. I never liked how Shrice turned out and some other Fakemon and they will get re-done until I'm content. I'm a fan of the first Gen so I like to keep my designs simple and back to their roots.

The shape of Pupky's head, combined with the design of its eyes, make it look a bit too close to Yooterii. I'm sure it's unintentional, but I can't help but see it. Neither it nor its evolution are very interesting to look at. That's not a disparagement, I'm just trying to help you improve them. They could use some more interesting detail... coloration, markings, maybe a wing-shaped design on the side. Just something to break up the monotony of white on pale, unsaturated brown. Nidition has a problem similar to Pupky, in that it reminds me of Froslass with a dash of Latias. Again, it's not your fault, but you should do your best to avoid designs similar to existing Pokemon.
    Pupky is intentional. I love Lillipup and so, I wanted a Pokemon that looks like him. Nidition however was made way before Froslass came to public view. Oh and the Pupky line is not finish yet; It still has a super awesome evolution coming.

The biggest faceless offenders are Algle and Alque, and they seem to be in a different, more simple style... arguably too simple. Are they old, compared to the other sprites? In any case, they could use some shading and palette revisions. I really like Alame's design though; if you made the body and smoke(?) look more like they belong together and added a bit more interesting detail (anything that will make it look less like a big red expance), you'd really have something.
    You are correct, my 3 aliens are pretty old sprites. They have very wierd eyes since their aliens and I wanted a feel like they didn't belong.

While I'm mostly known as a spriter, my biggest concern with your designs is actually the names. Shrice, yeah, I guess, but Shrat sounds harsh and somewhat naughty. I imagine Liquail is a contraction of Light and Quail, but you have to admit that you can't help but think liquid when you see liq. Alternatives might be Elequail, Sparquail, Dynamiquail, or Jaquail.
    I suck with names, however I was actually going for a nasty name in Shrat... naughty is close :D. I like Jaquail!

I'm just going to openly be mean here: I don't like the Maggaby line names. Maggaby is a maggot, sure, but it's too close to Magby. Teefly is better, and doesn't really need to be changed, but I think using "teen" is kind of... Well, lame. Especially when you take into consideration that it's preceded by the word "baby" and succeeded by the word "adult". Adulfly isn't a very pleasant name any way you look at it. Now, I know I'm coming down hard with these three, but it's only because of how great the designs are! They should have names that are befitting of the sprites.
    I'll think of some better names...

I know that this is a pixel art board, and I shouldn't be critiquing the names so much, but... Pupky? I can only assume Puppy+Sky, and it's cute-sounding, but most people won't see the "sky" in there. Pupsky would be better, but it's far too obvious. For that matter, the word puppy is overused in fakemon. Of course, as I said it IS a cute name, and there's nothing strictly wrong with it. Its evolution, however, confuses me. Banal? It's nice that it's not just AnimalNameTypeSynonym (I think?), but why Banal?
    Barial is the name(Bark+Aerial). Sorry its hard to see the names.

Overall, I like your sprites, and think you're off to a great start (even if my criticism seemed a little harsh). You should probably ditch your current numbering system, though; if you feel the need to fill all the spots, a sense of "I can't do this" will set in pretty quickly. It may be best to just make the creatures that you feel like making, and worry about the Pokedex later.
    I already have all the fakemons drawn and in order and in several sheets of paper. I just need to sprite them.

Also, isn't the Anoleaf line from Pokemon Tanzanite? Were you a spriter for them?
    I thought no one remembered my old game. I was the founder of the game.

Comments in bold and thank you very much for taking your time to help me. I belive you and me will be great friends.
    I also updated the dex with Airanine!

Humm96

Fly little Mockingjay!
    Years
  • These are amasing! you are a skilled spriter indeed :) but on Alge the leaves on its head look a bit iffy, might want to fix them :)

Hooh

Only if for a night.
    Years
    • Seen Jan 11, 2015
    NO WAI

You made and electric/flying quail named Shoquail....

I did too.

Years
    • Seen Feb 28, 2012
    nice work with your fakemons, although some of the sprites dont seem to match up with the same style as your other fakes, for instance zaquail & jaquail look far better then shoquail i would probably revamp shoquail, the same goes for shirice & teefly.

Years
    • Seen Apr 10, 2012
    NO WAI

You made and electric/flying quail named Shoquail....

I did too.
    Well, my electric quail is not part flying.

nice work with your fakemons, although some of the sprites dont seem to match up with the same style as your other fakes, for instance zaquail & jaquail look far better then shoquail i would probably revamp shoquail, the same goes for shirice & teefly.

I will revamp most of my fakemon in due time.

Thank you everyone for the comments. They keep me going!
    I have added 3 new fakemons: Ruwu, Sabble, and Salabble.

countryemo

Kicking against the earth!
    Years
  • It's funny cause this whole line was stolen from an old project (Pokemon Tanzanite)...

Alanto Dex

Lizleaf = Anoleaf
    Anoleaf = Arboliz
    Arboliz = Tokaero

Link to the Pokedex is here.

Few post up:
    Commenter: Also, isn't the Anoleaf line from Pokemon Tanzanite? Were you a spriter for them?
    Original Spriter: I thought no one remembered my old game. I was the founder of the game.
    Shoquil looks..off

Chesu

Boss Carrot
    Years
  • Actually, looking a little deeper into it, it seems that while Pika'chu500 WAS involved in Pokemon Tanzanite, (s)he didn't design those Pokemon or create the sprites of them. Unless I'm mistaken?

I think the problem with Shoquail is that the wings are a single small lightning bolt. Maybe they would look better if it was several lightning bolts stacked, or a big one that branches, or something. The toes and eyes are a little weird too, but the foot design seems intentional based on Zaquail, and I kind of like the eyes, they're unique.

Years
  • You're quite the pixel artist, I especially like the Lizleaf Line, it shows a ton of improvement. Shoquail looks nice too, but the legs that it's standing on seem a bit, awkwardly small? Not sure how to put it, but I'm sure you could make better ones. Good luck in the completion of your dex.

Years
    • Seen Apr 10, 2012
    Actually, looking a little deeper into it, it seems that while Pika'chu500 WAS involved in Pokemon Tanzanite, (s)he didn't design those Pokemon or create the sprites of them. Unless I'm mistaken?

I think the problem with Shoquail is that the wings are a single small lightning bolt. Maybe they would look better if it was several lightning bolts stacked, or a big one that branches, or something. The toes and eyes are a little weird too, but the foot design seems intentional based on Zaquail, and I kind of like the eyes, they're unique.
    I did not design the Lizleaf line, missingno and lilfurman did; You can see their names in the credits section. I did sprite Anoleaf and Arboliz but not Lizleaf. Lizleaf was sprited by Lilfurman. I'm gonna re-design Shoquail a bit with these in mind.

You're quite the pixel artist, I especially like the Lizleaf Line, it shows a ton of improvement. Shoquail looks nice too, but the legs that it's standing on seem a bit, awkwardly small? Not sure how to put it, but I'm sure you could make better ones. Good luck in the completion of your dex.
    Thank you, I will also try to change the legs while re-designing Shoquail.

It's funny cause this whole line was stolen from an old project (Pokemon Tanzanite)...

Alanto Dex

Lizleaf = Anoleaf
    Anoleaf = Arboliz
    Arboliz = Tokaero

Link to the Pokedex is here.
    I explained they are indeed from there and that they are not stolen. I sprited Anoleaf and Arboliz and told my old team mates I'm using them in my dex. Lizleaf is the only sprite I did not make, It was made by Lilfurman.

Btw I updated the dex with 4 new Fakemons.

Years
    • Seen Apr 10, 2012
    Indeed, Kangtric is awesome!
    I updated the dex with 5 new Fakemons.
    Mungle sprite was done by Kami-Sama-Sensei
    Foreskey sprite was done by HellopeopleoftheUS

Years
  • Anoleaf's left arm looks a little off to me. It might be because of the straight lines you have used for it's body, making it look flat when the lines should curve(?) But regardless, the whole line is a major improvement.

~*!*~Tatsujin Gosuto~*!*~

Buffalo State College
    Years
  • I love how you do your fake dex (by putting the symbols and stuff) but I dont want to sound like a broken record with the things you can do better. But I do love how you did your coloring and shading on your fakemon

:t354:TG

Back