• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Album Reviews

Mysonne

Pokeballin, no testes
    Years
    • Seen Aug 24, 2014
    People cannot seem to get over the past and will compare the latest album to the first. That's so beyond irrelevant it's insane. The only artist that does the same thing they did ten years ago is like...Nickelback. lol I just can't take a review seriously if people are going to cling to old albums and hiss at the new(er) one(s) for being different in any way, shape, or form. Like, no, I will not respect your opinion, because you're just comparing it to old stuff and not giving the new album a chance to stand on its own two feet and be its own damn thing. Go away.

Can you tell I'm mad?

while i do see your point, i don't have a problem with a reviewer comparing it to the artist's older work if it sounds the same (as in, a rehash of an older album). i've never actually seen a good reviewer pan an album because the artist tried something different (what reviewers are you reading? they sound awful). on top of this, context definitely has a place in reviews. if justin bieber decided to put out an objectively 10 out of 10 album tomorrow people would still rip on him because he's justin bieber, whereas kanye west could put out an album of cat mating calls and still receive a 9+ BNM from pitchfork. generally the only people i see hating something for being different are (shocker) the fans. it's a reviewer's job to be objective and if they did what you're talking about they wouldn't have a job, plain and simple.

Sydian

fake your death.
    Years
    while i do see your point, i don't have a problem with a reviewer comparing it to the artist's older work if it sounds the same (as in, a rehash of an older album). i've never actually seen a good reviewer pan an album because the artist tried something different (what reviewers are you reading? they sound awful). on top of this, context definitely has a place in reviews. if justin bieber decided to put out an objectively 10 out of 10 album tomorrow people would still rip on him because he's justin bieber, whereas kanye west could put out an album of cat mating calls and still receive a 9+ BNM from pitchfork. generally the only people i see hating something for being different are (shocker) the fans. it's a reviewer's job to be objective and if they did what you're talking about they wouldn't have a job, plain and simple.

Don't worry, it wasn't anyone professional or respected. It was just tagged where I was looking and I couldn't help but read, only to just find myself angry. I can understand someone not liking an album, and that's fine, but I just don't understand how people can think an artist is gonna sound exactly the same as they did ten years ago. And I know comparing can come in handy, but not when you're just drowning the review in it, if that makes any sense. It's kind of like they had nostalgia goggles on, really lol. But yeah, I agree that usually the biggest complainers are the fans. Happens with everything, really. I mean, we're on a Pokemon forum, so I'm sure you've seen some of the people complaining in that department.

pompayyy

Forever and Ever
    Years
    along with the music is an art form thing most people [especially those who are highly musically literate, or critics] will objectively agree that the mona lisa is better than my 3rd grade self portrait, same goes for a "classic" like Ok Computer, Animals, Illmatic, etc, compared to Kidz Bop 24

I agree (in assumption that Animals is the Pink Floyd one :P). I think if everybody judged today's albums by the standard of classic albums, i don't think what we know as pop today would be popular among kids (good god).

Mysonne

Pokeballin, no testes
    Years
    • Seen Aug 24, 2014
    I agree (in assumption that Animals is the Pink Floyd one :P). I think if everybody judged today's albums by the standard of classic albums, i don't think what we know as pop today would be popular among kids (good god).

Completely agree. I was born in le wrong generation. I'm 12 and only listen to good bands like The Beatle, Thom Yorke and The Radio's Head, and Lead Zeplin. Like if you agree!

Fire Flyy

metaphysical poet
    Years

Still...today there is some good music, such as Imagine Dragons, Mumford and Suns, and Neutral Milk Hotel. Hip Hop is getting better too, with rappers like Macklemore, who actually rap about real life.

Magykx

It's too cold for you here.
    Years
    Aww, I thought this thread was going to be for reviewing albums we like... :( darn.

Anyway, I read reviews after I've created my own opinion to an album, mainly because I like seeing how other people's views contrast to mine. I don't normally read them before listening to an album because sometimes I become biased and then not like songs I would have previously liked because the reviewer pointed out a flaw... so then I'm expecting it, if that makes sense?

Ari Niko

Sincerity
    Years
    I run an album review site, actually (it's on hiatus right now, though)

I like reading other people's opinions, especially from other musicians or people who have been around for a long time.

I also really enjoy Pitchfork's reviews. While they are a hipster site, they also provide the most entertaining and in-depth reviews. Their review of Kanye West's My Beautiful Dark Twisted Fantasy was absolutely incredible.

Fire Flyy

metaphysical poet
    Years
    is there an archive of your site we can see? i'm genuinely interested. and yeah pitchfork is very good, they often put a lot of effort into their reviews where they give a 10, i remember really liking their review of DJ Shadow's "Endtroducing...."

Ari Niko

Sincerity
    Years
    is there an archive of your site we can see? i'm genuinely interested. and yeah pitchfork is very good, they often put a lot of effort into their reviews where they give a 10, i remember really liking their review of DJ Shadow's "Endtroducing...."

https://redrecords.us/

There's the site, I just haven't had the time or motivation to write recently
    Album Reviews

I'll probably get back into the mood during my school's fall break

pompayyy

Forever and Ever
    Years
    Completely agree. I was born in le wrong generation. I'm 12 and only listen to good bands like The Beatle, Thom Yorke and The Radio's Head, and Lead Zeplin. Like if you agree!

(I can feel the sarcasm) What I'm trying to get across, is that modern pop sucks. I do like some popular songs, but I was referring to Pop as a genre: not popular. For instance, last year's Tame Impala album Lonerism was popular, winning tons of AOTY awards, but it isn't pop. Pop (the way I see it) would be stuff like Lady Gaga, Ke$ha, One Direction, etc.

Hip Hop is getting better too, with rappers like Macklemore, who actually rap about real life.

But with people like Lil' Wayne as well, this could lead to a battle between hip-hop artists that are good and bad. I'm waiting to see who ends out on top (also I don't like rap, but that's opinion, not "OMG, thay hav no talent!!)

Also just watched TheNeedleDrop's review on the new Drake album. He goes over it with great detail :)

Last edited:
    Back