• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

5th Gen Alder or Iris?

Who is the better Unova Champion?

• Total voters
    Years
    Alder or Iris?
    Alder or Iris?

In the 5th Gen games, we saw Unova have two different Champions across games - in the original Black & White we had Alder, while not battled until the postgame, is still a trainer packing powerful Pokemon such as his signature Volcarona. In Black 2 & White 2 however, it's revealed he stood down and Iris has ascended to the throne, armed with her signature Dragon-types (and other dragon-like Pokemon) and of course her ace Haxorus (carrying a Focus Sash nonetheless!).

Which of the two Champions did you prefer and why? Who did you think was the tougher one?

Reio

Unova Lover
    Years
    • Seen Oct 26, 2017
    Why not both,haha
    but i think Alder tougher,when i first time play BW my starter is snivy,totally can't beat Volcarona @@

Years
    • Seen Feb 4, 2016
    I'm gonna have to say Alder. Y'know, he actually does something in the story. Plus when you finally battle him, he can be very surprising.

When you face Iris in B2/W2, you know she's a Dragon-type trainerand let's be honest here, I bet most players already had counters for Dragons because of a certain someone's nasty Hydreigon.

Last edited:

Drayton

Chilled Dude of The Elite Four
    Years
    • He/They/Them
    • Seen Feb 21, 2024
    Alder is much more buggy type champion since his team slightly go with Shelemet-Karablast line and not forgetting vicious volcarona which packs a punch, but yeah after post-game he's one tough customer. Not forgetting Iris, she's the youngest champion and her team may consisting dragon-likeness such as Lapras for example and her ace it takes time to beat it, but if you have ice/electric it shouldn't be a too much to handle than Alder.

Years
    Alder was definitely better. He had a bigger role during the main story in Pokemon Black and he kinda just seems like he would be a powerful champion. Iris just felt boring and I really couldn't take her seriously in the getup she wore.

Years
    • Age 27
    • OH
    • Seen May 10, 2024
    Alder has always been cool because he's a relevant character in both games. Iris... not so much.
    As far as difficulty goes, I've gotta say Iris takes this one. After beating the E4 in BW, Alder's team is really nothing special.

Years
    • Seen May 19, 2024
    I am one for ALDER! Dragon champions are too much. Alder do have powerful Bug-types in a Champion battle which that certain kind of type I see often in tough battles. It is not that I hate Iris, she's a black cute (sorry that I sound racist... please can we already kill that word, we are on the 21st now. about hundred years passed that nobody can ever forget it?), but return to the second sentence.

Dedenne1

[SPAN="FONT-SIZE:16.5PX; FONT-FAMILY: SATISFY; TEX
    Years
    I liked alder better and he was definately the tougher one
    I usually preffer champs who dont focus on one type like Gary, Cynthia, Alder, Diantha cause it makes more sense to me makes them more of a challenge and less predictable its suitable to them. I also found iris incredibly easy to beat with my Vaniluxe haha but Alder definately made me work alittle harder always switching out pokes haha

Years
    To be honest what I mostly care about when fighting the champions (or just them in general) is the music that plays when you face off against them. Both of them had awesome music but Iris's is just a little bit better!

Sydian

fake your death.
    Years
    As far as difficulty, I never had much trouble with either of them, which really disappointed me. However, if I had to pick one on that front, I did mow over Alder more easily than Iris, so Iris wins that one. She could probably easily mow over his team...then again, she probably had to to take the Champion title from him.

When it comes down to presence, character, and all of that jazz though, I've got to hand it to Alder. I feel like you see him a decent amount of times in BW and even in BW2 when he's no longer the Champion, I still see him as one because of his attitude, the wisdom he instills in your character, and the help he provides to you early on. It's more than I can really say for Iris, who you see a lot in the first games (which is great!), but not enough of in the sequels where she actually is the Champion.

Alder is actually one of my favorite Champions overall though, so I guess it was no surprise I was going to go with him here, haha. Battling isn't everything to me and Alder's character stands out enough from his battle (and even then, I like that it's more of a friendly battle than something super serious like all the others, so that in itself stands out as well) to make him shine as a Champion in other ways.

Gandhi Savage

[FONT=Maven Pro][COLOR=#00AAFF]OJAMA DELTA HURRICA
    Years
    I'd have to say Alder, he just has that champion-like aura about him. Similar to Lance or Cynthia, he just seems to be one of those people who suit being the main man (or woman in Cynthia's case) at the Pokémon League. They kinda buried him when he lost to N, despite his legend. Iris is cool and I see why she could have succeeded Alder but just doesn't have the same feel for me.

Last edited:
    Years
    • Seen Jul 9, 2015
    I preferred Alder as champion overall, but the battle against Iris felt more epic. To me, anyway. Must be all those dragons.

Bobbylicious

Banned
    Years
    Iris the bae obv.
    Alder is like an old man and I found him rly creepy... plus u dont even get to battle him in Black and White until you challenge the elite four a SECOND time. honestly, how lazy can u get..

Sun

When the sun goes down...
    Years
    • Seen Jan 20, 2017
    I find Alder's speech style intriguing. Something about him is fascinating.

However I pick Iris over Alder, because of her hyperactive personality! We never have a champion with that a attitude and personality of hers which makes her unique!

Years
    • Seen Jan 1, 2023
    I'm going to say neither really deserve the champion title especially alder.

To start with Alder at no point does he give me any champion feels. In fact I kind of love how when he first approaches you he tells you he's the champion where in other games it was left a "mystery" until you actually get there. I love it because if he never told me I'm pretty sure I would of just thought he was some bum traveling around. Secondly it kind of irks me that he never really specifies himself as a type trainer yet has half a team of bug types. Granted Steven displays this too with having so many rock/ground types with steel types, but at least he establishes himself. The fact that he is a rock/fossil enthusiast ties in with having those types on his team.

So now Alder's team. It seems as though it's made up of Pokemon that focus on his hair minus Vanilluxe which is just there. I guess I would of loved to see him take the title of Bug Champion with an all out Bug team or some Pokemon with Bug like features like Flygon. It would make him unique among other champions, whereas for me he's just there. Personally having Burgh a bug type gym leader in the most industrial city in Unova was a bit silly to me. The title should of went to Alder and Burgh should of been something else completely.

Besides all of that Alder for me is just unmemorable. There's nothing cool about him, nothing very lovable, nothing that draws you in. His personality is just a basic good guy. Sometimes he feels like a place marker just so people would really love Iris.

Iris gives me more champion feels, but she also gives me that "haven't we already done this" feel. Yes we get it Dragons are ever so powerful. We get a dragon master crammed in our face every single game minus dppt. Also how did we go from sleek and mysterious Cynthia to a girl in an ugly pink dress. Lastly her personality comes off as very generic to me. She's very "Come on guys let's stop them because they're wrong!" "Let's all work together!" "Friendship and Pokemon yay!"

Just makes me sad because I really enjoyed the Unova Elite four.

Back