• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Aliens: Discussion

Years
    • Age 29
    • Seen Jan 28, 2019
    Seeing as they found a planet similar to the earth, having aliens is not a crazy idea.

SIN1488

Dedicated FluoroCarbons :P
    Years
    As for quantum entanglement, what if they just use simpler (to them) technology such as wormhole or even FTL systems to send messages and the idea of quantum entanglement never occurred to them?

Well, as far as I know, just opening a wormhole large enough to send information through would take a huge amount of energy, especially if they wanted to keep it open for a decent amount of time. And even if aliens had different technology, I think they would still not want to waste large amounts of energy if possible, especially not for something as simple as communication. And when I say large amounts of energy, I mean large amounts of energy. :O

I know documentaries aren't the best source of information, but it was in one of those that I saw information on wormholes and stuff. I think it was one of those ones that "Michio Kaku" or whatever his name is hosted. :S

And what is "FTL"?

Blue Nocturne

Not THAT one.
    Years
    • Age 29
    • Seen Mar 6, 2013
    I think the notion that there isn't life somewhere in this massive universe is incredibly unlikely. Do I think they're all super advanced and whizzing about in spaceships and one day in the not-to-distant future to visit/invade? Probably not.

Even if there was aliens at that stage of development, there's even less of a likelihood they'll come here. Even at the speed of light it would take them forever to get here, and they might not see the point in the first place, they might see us as primitive or not even register our existence. Lets not forget that our planet, no, our galaxy, is only a small corner of the universe, imagine how unlikely it would be for aliens to even come within a galaxy of us, never mind a solar system.

What about the not so developed? I think it's quite likely there are civilizations around the universe in the same boat, wondering if there are other planets and "Alien" life out there. Or ones who are at the stage Humanity was thousands or millions of years ago.

CreamSoda

Why so smexy?
    Years
    I agree to all of your theories, mabey there really is some other scientific living creature out there somewhere... And I might just be one :) Mabey? Or you might be one.. MWAHAHAHHAAH !XD

Rich Boy Rob

"Fezzes are cool." The Doctor
    Years
    • Seen Mar 15, 2016
    Well, as far as I know, just opening a wormhole large enough to send information through would take a huge amount of energy, especially if they wanted to keep it open for a decent amount of time. And even if aliens had different technology, I think they would still not want to waste large amounts of energy if possible, especially not for something as simple as communication. And when I say large amounts of energy, I mean large amounts of energy. :O

I know documentaries aren't the best source of information, but it was in one of those that I saw information on wormholes and stuff. I think it was one of those ones that "Michio Kaku" or whatever his name is hosted. :S

And what is "FTL"?

It stands for "Faster-Than-Light". As for the huge amounts of energy thing, I can't deny that it'd be an unfathomable amount needed, but I was just throwing it out there.

SIN1488

Dedicated FluoroCarbons :P
    Years
    It stands for "Faster-Than-Light".

Oh, well that ties in with the whole "Quantum Entanglement" thing. I guess the idea with that is that there are certain particles that are coupled together, and if you separate them and change one of them, the other one changes instantly, no matter how far they are apart. I know scientists have actually done this with a certain distance, but I can't remember exactly how far they've separated them.

But the point is, you do something to one particle, and the particle it's coupled to reacts instantly, making it faster than light. So I don't see why aliens wouldn't have left some kind of machine with a bunch of particles coupled to particles on their planet, so that they could attempt to communicate extremely long-distance. :S

Maybe the long-distance calls would cost too much..... :cheeky:

Back