• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

3rd Gen All hail pokefans

Years
    • Seen Jan 17, 2009
    The Name's Sebastien (Seb for short) and i'm a new trainer, got here cause of one of my buddy who simply said to me : Grab This, it's a GBA you got LeafGreen, go level up... well not exactly but you all guess the picture. So anyway i post the thread to say hello, and if anyone got any advice for me as a trainer i'll try to put them to good use.

Right Now, after over 44 hours of game play, i found all the badge and i'm leveling up for the E4. but still i'd like your opinion on one thing , i think that psychic pokemon feels a little like cheating since its effective against a lot of other things, so i fear most team would be a group or a combination of too many psychic pokemons... are there any rules in competitive battle against psychics and their uses, or as a good trainer i should figure out how to counter most of those psychics?

Seb
    Have a good week to all of you.

Years
    • Seen Jan 20, 2012
    psychic's were cheating back in the first generation.

But now psychic is a pretty balanced type.

Ninja Caterpie

AAAAAAAAAAAAA
    Years
  • Psychic types were the reason Dark and Steel types were invented. No, seriously. Psychic used to dominate everything. Now, it's much more balanced. Although, a Psychic type can still be pretty damaging if used correctly.

Also, competitive battling lets you use any non-uber Psychic.

Post Office Buddy

Trapped inside this Octavarium
    Years
  • You should be fine either way. Since it seems that you're doing in-game battling, using a psychic type is like using any other type. The only restrictions the game places are at battle tower or frontier or whatever is in the version you are playing. If you're just training for the E4, then you don't have any restrictions at all. You could even take a full team of legendaries/ubers with you and still have no restrictions whatsoever.

Le_Avatar

Experienced Trainer & Breeder
    Years
  • Hey dude !!!
    Nice to see you post on the forum :)
    You really made your way through the game as I see... If you wanna know more about competitive battling rules and stuff, I'm gonna teach you... (as I explain to you with breeding :P )

Just drop me a Private Message about what you wanna know and I'll explain it all :)

Can't wait to battle with you man :)
    Have fun

Years
    • Seen Jan 17, 2009
    All right, cause i didnt found that much dark and steel type ( by memory no dark and 1 steel) magnemite i think has a steel descriptor but for the rest i dont think i've seen many i got LeafGreen as i said ;)

anyway see you around people! :)

Le_Avatar

Experienced Trainer & Breeder
    Years
  • Magnemite and Magneton are Electric-type :P
    And as people said, Psychic were the bomb back in 1st generation pokes (which FireRed and LeafGreen are remake) but after you found the National-Pokedex, you'll have access to 2nd gen pokes (well, correct me if I'm wrong, but I'm pretty sure that's 2nd gen :P ) that roam the Sevii Islands and if you repaired the machine of Celio on One Island, you'll have access to trade with Emerald and even Colosseum on the Gamecube.

There, you'll have access to a lot more Dark and Steel pokes... Like Mightyena, Scizor, Steelix, Houndoom and the like... :)

Ninja Tree

I turn 1 everyday
    Years
    • Age 16
    • Seen Aug 6, 2010
    The Name's Sebastien (Seb for short) and i'm a new trainer, got here cause of one of my buddy who simply said to me : Grab This, it's a GBA you got LeafGreen, go level up... well not exactly but you all guess the picture. So anyway i post the thread to say hello, and if anyone got any advice for me as a trainer i'll try to put them to good use.

Right Now, after over 44 hours of game play, i found all the badge and i'm leveling up for the E4. but still i'd like your opinion on one thing , i think that psychic pokemon feels a little like cheating since its effective against a lot of other things, so i fear most team would be a group or a combination of too many psychic pokemons... are there any rules in competitive battle against psychics and their uses, or as a good trainer i should figure out how to counter most of those psychics?

Seb
    Have a good week to all of you.
    44 hours and training for Elite Four? Reminds my first play through of Leaf Green. Not one pokemon above 50 at 49 hours. Then 4 years later I picked it up and decided to beat it.

KadabraK

pokeboy
    Years
    And as people said, Psychic were the bomb back in 1st generation pokes (which FireRed and LeafGreen are remake) but after you found the National-Pokedex, you'll have access to 2nd gen pokes (well, correct me if I'm wrong, but I'm pretty sure that's 2nd gen :P ) that roam the Sevii Islands and if you repaired the machine of Celio on One Island, you'll have access to trade with Emerald and even Colosseum on the Gamecube.

There, you'll have access to a lot more Dark and Steel pokes... Like Mightyena, Scizor, Steelix, Houndoom and the like... :)
    Actually, Magnemite/Magneton are Electric/Steel :)

Good luck with the E4

Psychic aren't cheating, they just own XD

Azonic

hello friends
    Years
    That was during the RBY series. They became Steel / Electric since GSC, because Psychics were dominating the metagame.

Dark probably has the most advantages to Psychic types. Their strongest STAB moves have no effect on Dark Pokemon, while Dark Pokemon easily strike back with a supereffective STABed attack. Steel comes in a close second, but Dark Pokemon overall have a better chance of beating Psychic types because Steel is not immune to Psychic, nor can it score supereffective hits on Psychic Pokemon.

Seeing as you have LeafGreen, there are no obtainable dark Pokemon without trading before the Elite Four. The only part steel types in this game is Magnemite and Magneton, so those are your only options.

Ninja Caterpie

AAAAAAAAAAAAA
    Years
  • That was during the RBY series. They became Steel / Electric since GSC, because Psychics were dominating the metagame.

Dark probably has the most advantages to Psychic types. Their strongest STAB moves have no effect on Dark Pokemon, while Dark Pokemon easily strike back with a supereffective STABed attack. Steel comes in a close second, but Dark Pokemon overall have a better chance of beating Psychic types because Steel is not immune to Psychic, nor can it score supereffective hits on Psychic Pokemon.
    Unfortunately, no. No Psychic types would use a Psychic move on a Dark type, they'd probably use a CM'd Thunderbolt or something of the like, which would take down most Dark types. Steel types, however, are hell sturdy and can take lots'a hits, as well as land a powerful hit back on the defence most Psychics don't have - Physical Defence.

Vrai

can you feel my heart?
    Years
    • Age 29
    • Seen Oct 24, 2022
    Also, competitive battling lets you use any non-uber Psychic.

Um, I thought competitive battling lets you use any non-uber of any type.

That was during the RBY series. They became Steel / Electric since GSC, because Psychics were dominating the metagame.

Also, Steel Pokèmon can score supereffective hits on Psychic Pokèmon - it's the move type, not the Pokèmon type. (i.e. Steelix used Crunch!)

Last edited:
    Back