• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

All of the Lights

Mr Cat Dog

Frasier says it best
Years
  • Do you use Flash when exploring dark caves, or do you just like to leave it to chance/use a strategy guide so as not to 'burden' a Pokemon with the relatively useless move that is Flash?

(KWC #4)

Last edited:
    Years
  • In the first two generations, I always used it, just for simplicity's sake. In the third generation I didn't use it too much, seeing as navigation was always pretty easy even without using it. For the fourth and fifth generations I think I'd teach it to something I could catch in the route before the cave in which Flash was necessary, then box them after I got through it. It's really quite an annoying move to have, I never waste a slot with it if I can get away with it!

Years
    • Seen Sep 18, 2020
    I use it if I find it necessary, which is often the case. As of generation five I usually teach it to something temporarily, then when finished with the cave replace the move with whatever TM it was before.

XEL

Lorem Ipsum
    Years
    • Seen Nov 20, 2022
    I did in 1st, 3rd, and part of 4th Gen. In the other part of 4th Gen and in 5th Gen I just follow online guides as to save a moveslot spot and a team spot.

Years
  • I've never seen it used in competitive play let alone even in-battle. I try to avoid using it and teaching it. I would just try to walk through a whole dark cave without Flash. :l

PlatinumDude

Nyeh?
    Years
  • I always use Flash while I'm exploring a dark cave because it's annoying not knowing where you're going.

Oryx

CoquettishCat
    Years
    • Age 31
    • Seen Jan 30, 2015
    I used to use Flash because I always used to play by the books ("this part says you need Flash? Okay let me go get it), but lately I've taken to not using it and just looking for a map online to get through.

Tachikaze

九番隊 // Earth-Severing Wind
    Years
  • Pretty much what Kirbychu said. I always thought it was more fun to wing it and fight my way through.

Ho-Oh

used Sacred Fire!
    Years
    • Seen Jul 1, 2023
    I used Flash late-game but early on for the places you had to use Flash in... I'm pretty sure I just tried to guide myself through in the first Zubat Cave in G/S/C just to get that one potion, lol. Dunno about other games, I'm sure I just skipped places needing Flash early on :x Hate using Flash though, so very useless and illegal @ competitive.

(On another note, I'm glad I don't really have to Flash @ B/W :33)

Years
  • I often don't use it (never for the initial traversing of Dark Cave, Hoenn, for example)
    Some places are really hard to traverse without it, though.
    Have any of you ever tried getting though Mt.Silver without Flash?
    I have managed, more than once, but it required very carefully counting my steps to match to the map, and listening closely for the bumps. It is not an easy thing.

If the cave is really difficult to navigate I will use Flash, but if I have a reason to not I can go without.

Zythrone

The One And Only!
    Years
  • I'll usually try to feel my way around in the dark...

If it too hard I'll catch a wild Pokemon to teach Flash to.

Rest

Showstealer Pro: Trial Version
    Years
  • Flash is a necessity to me. I really dislike being lost and having to guess around where to go. Giving a particular Pokemon in my team that move isn't a problem. x3

Back