• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Tool: [Alpha] (MEH) Map Editor of Happiness

Shiny Quagsire

I'm Still Alive, Elsewhere
Years
  • If/When you do get around to making a Day/Night system, please give us the option to use the RTC that's already present in Ruby/Emerald.

Or did I misread you and the Day/Night Pokemon switch is already compatible with the native Ruby/Emerald RTC?
    Currently it uses interdpth's RTC but I could arrange for a vanilla RSE RTC version if that's what the community wants.

Bleh.

Who knew that my first post on PC in so long would be on this thread.

Anyways, I took a look at your source, and I've made a few changes that make operating the map editor a lot smoother.

Demonstration:
    https://www.dropbox.com/s/ntsifq5rgkxfvji/MEH1.mp4

Also consider getting rid of a lot of those extra lines. They're bothersome :o

Maybe consider starting blocks on the same line as the opening statement.

Maybe add me as a contributor.

Github: pokecommunity

I'll probably hold off on adding people as contributers. From what I've seen with other, larger projects is that things work best if you have one central code repository and several people with their own personal repositories submitting pull requests. That way people don't accidentally overwrite changes and such. Also, with that said, feel free to submit a pull request for that feature and we could add that in. It looks a lot better than what I did and I wasn't in a position to fix what wasn't broken, so I never bothered. I recall Spherical Ice mentioning that it wasn't quite as smooth as A-Map so this might be a fix.

karatekid552

What happens if I push it?....
    Years
  • Currently it uses interdpth's RTC but I could arrange for a vanilla RSE RTC version if that's what the community wants.

I'll probably hold off on adding people as contributers. From what I've seen with other, larger projects is that things work best if you have one central code repository and several people with their own personal repositories submitting pull requests. That way people don't accidentally overwrite changes and such. Also, with that said, feel free to submit a pull request for that feature and we could add that in. It looks a lot better than what I did and I wasn't in a position to fix what wasn't broken, so I never bothered. I recall Spherical Ice mentioning that it wasn't quite as smooth as A-Map so this might be a fix.

There is also a bug in git 1.8.5 that prevents contributers from pushing properly. Just thought I'd let you know.

Years
  • In reguards to the download link, I have it set up to always link to the latest release. Once I do get a stable version out I'll start linking it to only the stable version and have a nightly link for those who want to live on the edge (or ruin their ROM whichever comes first). As it is now, I'd say it's somewhat unstable but not horribly unstable. The saving system prevents any changes from being written to the file until you actually press the save button. As for a predicted release, I'm aiming for something by the end of this month or the next. Map editing is completely in, all that's missing is a worldmap editor and a block editor.

The worldmap editor sounds wonderful. Most of the well known hacking tools on here seem a bit archaic to me. Maybe it's the limitations of the games themselves that make it so hard. Maybe that's just because I have a flair for UI but I think a lot of them can be improved upon so the processes of say tile editing is not so tedious. While hacking games is not easy, I'd love to see an easy to use possibly all-in-one system for the masses. Pokemon hacking still seems stuck using 90s technology and processes in this day and age of Mobile Apps and AI algorithms. I'm glad to see you are working on this.

Years
  • In reguards to the download link, I have it set up to always link to the latest release. Once I do get a stable version out I'll start linking it to only the stable version and have a nightly link for those who want to live on the edge (or ruin their ROM whichever comes first). As it is now, I'd say it's somewhat unstable but not horribly unstable. The saving system prevents any changes from being written to the file until you actually press the save button. As for a predicted release, I'm aiming for something by the end of this month or the next. Map editing is completely in, all that's missing is a worldmap editor and a block editor.

Hi Shiny, what program are you using to build and/or test it? For some reason, my bithub is not loading the program, so maybe I am missing something on my computer. I am using Windows 8.

Le pug

Creator of Pokémon: Discovery / Fat Kid
    Years
  • Questions

• So you what about those with extended Emerald roms? Will it continue to search for free space beyond 1000000?

• Also, the day/night tool patch thing ... I have DNS for my hack ... applying that patch will both work and be customize-able?

• Also what is that third tileset underneath my two tilesets? Is that customize-able also?

Bugs
    • Wondering also why my tiles change like this when I open my hack:
    Spoiler:

• Don't know if this is a bug but it let's me select outside the area of the border tiles:
    Spoiler:

• You probably just didn't implement the features yet but I can't see any OWs or script tiles for events.

• Also this:
    Spoiler:

^ In case you were wondering what that should actually look like:
    Spoiler:

When I take my mouse and hover over where the tilesets should be, it pops the menu up but before that, it looks like that screenshot I just listed.

• I go from Forest Path 1 to Tropical Path 1 and instead of displaying what it should, it gives me this and takes like 30 sec to load it too:
    Spoiler:

Here is the map connection between the two (should be side to side and idk whats up with all those tile errors?):
    Spoiler:

• I can select and use movements that do not exist:
    Spoiler:

• When I drag a tile across the map it lags and doesn't show it i.e. I'll hold it down and try and do a perfect L with that tile but the tiles aren't showing up until I let go of my mouse click then I see that I just made the crappiest L shape ever lol.

Suggestions
    • When opening a file, only able to select from .GBA (i have so many files and many are similarly named and I'm just lazy tbh)

• Don't know if you're going to so I'll ask.. are you going to implement a world map editor?

• Also IDK if it's been mentioned but if you could put current mouse position of the tiles like A-Map somewhere? I frequently use that.

• If you could also somehow implement something for the flightpaths. You can create flightpaths but those don't necessarily help me understand which ones can be used for sethealingplace ... like maybe have under that flightpath 0x15 0x14 etc if able to be used for sethealingplace? Idk.

• Oh and if you could make level scripts easier on me then I'll:
    Spoiler:

Last edited:

Sceptile90

The Master of YamiNoGames
    Years
  • Hey, this would be a good tool for a hack I'm planning on making and if it's successful, the sequel! XD

Akiba

[img]http://i.imgur.com/o3RYT4v.png[/img]
    Years
  • Hi Shiny, what program are you using to build and/or test it? For some reason, my bithub is not loading the program, so maybe I am missing something on my computer. I am using Windows 8.

Github isn't an IDE you know :3

You have to download the source, then "javac" it.

Eclipse or IntelliJ work fine. I'm using IntelliJ. Note that to build it, you'll also need to download and import GBAUtils. It's also in shiny's repository.

Hope that helps.

Akiba

Years
  • Questions

• So you what about those with extended Emerald roms? Will it continue to search for free space beyond 1000000?

• Also, the day/night tool patch thing ... I have DNS for my hack ... applying that patch will both work and be customize-able?

• Also what is that third tileset underneath my two tilesets? Is that customize-able also?

Bugs
    • Wondering also why my tiles change like this when I open my hack:
    Spoiler:

• Don't know if this is a bug but it let's me select outside the area of the border tiles:
    Spoiler:

• You probably just didn't implement the features yet but I can't see any OWs or script tiles for events.

• Also this:
    Spoiler:

^ In case you were wondering what that should actually look like:
    Spoiler:

When I take my mouse and hover over where the tilesets should be, it pops the menu up but before that, it looks like that screenshot I just listed.

• I go from Forest Path 1 to Tropical Path 1 and instead of displaying what it should, it gives me this and takes like 30 sec to load it too:
    Spoiler:

Here is the map connection between the two (should be side to side and idk whats up with all those tile errors?):
    Spoiler:

• I can select and use movements that do not exist:
    Spoiler:

• When I drag a tile across the map it lags and doesn't show it i.e. I'll hold it down and try and do a perfect L with that tile but the tiles aren't showing up until I let go of my mouse click then I see that I just made the crappiest L shape ever lol.

Suggestions
    • When opening a file, only able to select from .GBA (i have so many files and many are similarly named and I'm just lazy tbh)

• Don't know if you're going to so I'll ask.. are you going to implement a world map editor?

• Also IDK if it's been mentioned but if you could put current mouse position of the tiles like A-Map somewhere? I frequently use that.

• If you could also somehow implement something for the flightpaths. You can create flightpaths but those don't necessarily help me understand which ones can be used for sethealingplace ... like maybe have under that flightpath 0x15 0x14 etc if able to be used for sethealingplace? Idk.

• Oh and if you could make level scripts easier on me then I'll:
    Spoiler:

I've fixed some of those. Hopefully shiny pulls my pushes soon.

Akiba

Years
  • Pushes pulled, now time to see about those bugs Le graciously compiled for us.

Here's the smoothfix I made last night.
    https://www.dropbox.com/s/ntsifq5rgkxfvji/MEH1.mp4

So here's a To-Do List then?

Major
    -Block Editing
    -World Map Editing
    -Plugins
    -Header Info
    -Undo Button (Ahahaha)

Incomplete
    -Add/Remove Maps
    -DNS
    -Events
    -Connections

Minor
    -Command Line Arguments
    -Data Exporting/Dumping
    -Make UI Look Better

Bugs
    -Selection of empty space outside border tiles in BorderTileEditor
    -Nonexisting movement tiles

Also, Le pug, in order to fix those bugs, you'll have to send us your ROM for closer inspection. Sorry for the inconvenience D:

Le pug

Creator of Pokémon: Discovery / Fat Kid
    Years
  • Spoiler:
    :

psh shiny should already have a copy of it ! ill link the dropbox to you in a pm

edit: If you could add this as a feature: allow the player to TYPE the numbers on the side for RGB.... i'd be so happy:

Fu196KR.png

Last edited:
    Years
  • Github isn't an IDE you know :3

You have to download the source, then "javac" it.

Eclipse or IntelliJ work fine. I'm using IntelliJ. Note that to build it, you'll also need to download and import GBAUtils. It's also in shiny's repository.

Hope that helps.

OK I'm a bit new to java and bithub, but I remember running programs directly from Bithub sometimes. Can you walk me through the steps of how to start testing. Like how I should start setting up the project?

karatekid552

What happens if I push it?....
    Years
  • OK I'm a bit new to java and bithub, but I remember running programs directly from Bithub sometimes. Can you walk me through the steps of how to start testing. Like how I should start setting up the project?

I think I know your issue, this is GitHub, not BitHub, there is a HUGE difference. GitHub is simply a server that you can host git content on.

Akiba

Years
  • I think I know your issue, this is GitHub, not BitHub, there is a HUGE difference. GitHub is simply a server that you can host git content on.

OK I'm a bit new to java and bithub, but I remember running programs directly from Bithub sometimes. Can you walk me through the steps of how to start testing. Like how I should start setting up the project?

That said, you would probably be inexperienced with GitHub, since you've been using BitHub all this time.

First, look for a Java IDE. As I said before, Eclipse or IntelliJ are fine. You should probably use Eclipse, because its full version is free. The IntelliJ Community Edition is free, so the choice is yours.

You will have to install Git first.

Git for All
    Linux Git Command Line Install

Follow this guide to learn how to Git.

Then, create a GitHub account. Fork this repository. Then clone it on your computer. Preferably, you can install GitHub on your computer. On all computers of course, you can use GitHub with Git alone.

Windows GitHub
    Mac GitHub

Fork or just download this repository, you will need it to build MEH.

When you're done developing and testing, commit all changes to your repository, and then request a pull from shiny's master repository.

If shiny approves of the changes, he will pull them, and your changes will officially be in his master repository, for everyone to use.

Hope this helps.

Years
  • That said, you would probably be inexperienced with GitHub, since you've been using BitHub all this time.

First, look for a Java IDE. As I said before, Eclipse or IntelliJ are fine. You should probably use Eclipse, because its full version is free. The IntelliJ Community Edition is free, so the choice is yours.

You will have to install Git first.

Git for All
    Linux Git Command Line Install

Follow this guide to learn how to Git.

Then, create a GitHub account. Fork this repository. Then clone it on your computer. Preferably, you can install GitHub on your computer. On all computers of course, you can use GitHub with Git alone.

Windows GitHub
    Mac GitHub

Fork or just download this repository, you will need it to build MEH.

When you're done developing and testing, commit all changes to your repository, and then request a pull from shiny's master repository.

If shiny approves of the changes, he will pull them, and your changes will officially be in his master repository, for everyone to use.

Hope this helps.

My mistake, I accidentally typed Github lolz. Anyway, I downloaded MEH and want to run it on my laptop. What are the next steps? What should I click to make it run in IntelliJ or Eclipse? I do have both on my computer.

Akiba

Years
  • My mistake, I accidentally typed Github lolz. Anyway, I downloaded MEH and want to run it on my laptop. What are the next steps? What should I click to make it run in IntelliJ or Eclipse? I do have both on my computer.

Load MEH and GBAUtils into your IDE.

To run it, always right click on 'Main.java', and then 'Run'.

In IntelliJ, you can always just press the green arrow at the bottom afterwards instead.

Years
  • Load MEH and GBAUtils into your IDE.

To run it, always right click on 'Main.java', and then 'Run'.

In IntelliJ, you can always just press the green arrow at the bottom afterwards instead.

Alright I did that and now it's saying that I need to configure/install an SDK. Which SDK does this use? I know it's not an android application lolz.

Shiny Quagsire

I'm Still Alive, Elsewhere
    Years
  • OK, so I've finally gotten some time to work on MEH. So far this is what I've done:
    • Fixed the multi-select box so that it's not awkwardly offsetted while selecting. It's also centered when placing blobs as well.
    • Fixed the border editor panel issue that Le described above
    • Fixed a few crashes
    • Fixed a bug with Emerald where the main to local tileset palette ratio was one off
    Also:
    hwFXDvP.png

diMX0cw.png

The paths were fixed by the last issue above. As for the hut, I have no idea how it got fixed. Maybe it was part of the palette issue.

Also, can we get a vote on some of the new graphics that DeltaSalamence has? I like quite a few of them but some of them I'm a bit uncertain of like the new file open/save icons. Here's a screenshot of all the new icons in action:
    H17fwUQ.png

Last edited:
    Back