• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

4th Gen Alternate Starters

Ivee

Ask me about Trailblazer :3
Years
    • Seen May 22, 2019
    A little curious on people's thoughts on alternate starters or if they're planning to/have used them. I suppose an alt. starter can refer to a Pokemon you catch really early that you replace your normal starter with. The kind I had in mind are ones you actually trade from other games, preferably in eggs (so they won't disobey you). Alternate starters are a fun way to make the adventure more "yours", imo.

I plan on trading over Smoochum and Tyrogue eggs. Despite evolving into two of my favorite Pokemon, I've neglected them, and thought this would be a great chance to use them in a normal playthrough. Plus, these two are normally found fairly late in the game, and I am impatient, lol.

Yusshin

♪ Yggdrasil ♪
    Years
  • I like the Starters in Johto and Kanto; I was thinking of using alts' for R/S/E, and Ive already imported about 30 Pokemon onto my new game of Pearl (though, I lost the catridge; this was a while ago lol) The Sinnoh starters are ugly as Hell, except maybe Piplup.

So I can see why you'd want / you like to do this lol I like starting with Eevee :P

Years
  • I just got HeartGold today! And thanks to the kindness of someone on these forums...I have 3 Pokemon right off the bat.

I am starting with Espeon, Totodile and Dratini.

Should be fun!

Omega94

Experienced Swimmer
    Years
  • Since this is my first play through of Heart Gold, I decided to go with Chikorita since I remember making a "mistake" 10 years ago in the original Gold: After putting my Chikorita in the PC for a reason I forget, I accidentally set it free into the wild, leaving me with nothing but a low-leveled Hoppip. Well, at the end of the road, that Hoppip became a level 82 Jumpluff. It was an excellent adventure, and I must admit, starting with a Pokemon that isn't one of the 3 is definitely something I recommend if you're looking for a change in gamestyle.

Hantsuki

a little wolf inside a girl
    Years
  • I wouldn't send in alternate starters for HG/SS, but I definitely would for R/S/E. But if I were to do it just for fun, perhaps I would send over a Houndour or Dratini egg (and only evolve Dratini up to Dragonair because I don't care too much for Dragonite).

But really, this idea never crossed my mind. I think I'll try this on one of my games.

Midnight Jog

Poké-Baller!
    Years
  • I've beaten Johto Region, but I'm not moving to Kanto until I catch all of the unowns and go through and make sure I caught all the Johto Pokes and obtained all of the items. I feel so overwhelmed by SoulSilver.... D:

Years
    • Seen Aug 15, 2011
    My entire team besides my starter is made of Pokemon I traded in. I like trading in Pokemon because they level up faster :P

560cool.

An old timer?
    Years
  • I usually prefer of using what the game gives me . ^^

Before beating the crap out of Red , I'll only trade the Jirachi and the PCPichu , just for what they offer ! :) I don't like trading with another game before I've beaten it . Is that only me ?

shanecdavis

Prof. Davis
    Years
    • Age 52
    • Utah
    • Seen Jul 27, 2010
    I don't like any of the Johto starters (at least they aren't as bad as 4th Gen!), so I started with Totodile and then put it in my PC in favor for Wooper.

Water/Ground Pokemon > Water Pokemon

As for the rest of my team, as I only have SS I won't be trading in any others. Once I defeat the entire game and can trade over all my RSE Pokemon I think I will buy a used HG and start over with a much better team and put better restrictions on gameplay to make it more of a challenge.

Years
    • Seen Nov 17, 2023
    i ditched my real starter, and let off with my Egg hatched Murkrow, because its my favorite pokemon. i personally don't like the johto starters for some reason..

Season

Garden Gladiator
    Years
  • The first Pokemon I saw after buying my first set of Pokeballs was a level 4 Sentret. He's my traveling partner now, I never let him out of my party.
    I went through Pearl with a Tropius as my starter. That was a fun adventure. In fact, my Tropius had an egg, which I traded over to my HG and have in my party.

Years
    • Seen May 7, 2024
    Lol,ummm....no.

But ,I do plan on starting over for Kanto, with a Shiny Sneasel as my "alternate starter".I'll just give it Rare Candies.Or possibly EV it on Platinum, in order to make it combat capable. (from what I know, I'll fight pokemon that can totally pwn Sneasel when I get into Kanto)

Years
  • Hmm, on my Soul Silver I just used whatever I got, personally the Johto starters are my favorite, but when I get Heart Gold I plan on sending over either my Shiny Eevee or my Shiny Charmander from my Pearl Game to use as my starter. (If I can find where my Pearl Cartridge is... lol)

~Unknown

Sudeki

Can you feel it?
    Years
  • Well I kinda ditched my starter, It just sits in my pc with all the starters from all gens xD.
    So far the only things I'm using is an Egg Lavitar/Gliscor/Abra.
    I'm at the 7 gym right now, and its going pretty easily.
    My Alakazam is probably my strongest/favorite.

Back