• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

4th Gen Alternate Starters

Gulpin

poisonous
Years
    • Seen Jan 16, 2017
    For SoulSilver, I decided to use only in-game Pokemon for my main team. It just loses the effect of a brand new game to me to trade over strong Pokemon. To me it is just boring to do that until I've already beaten it once. In SS, I've only traded to get a Lickilicky as an HM slave, to evolve my Poliwhirl, and to get some TM's and items for the E4.

Sudeki

Can you feel it?
    Years
  • For SoulSilver, I decided to use only in-game Pokemon for my main team. It just loses the effect of a brand new game to me to trade over strong Pokemon. To me it is just boring to do that until I've already beaten it once. In SS, I've only traded to get a Lickilicky as an HM slave, to evolve my Poliwhirl, and to get some TM's and items for the E4.
    I have to agree on the fact of not using high level trades :P, If I do trade over pokemons I want to use, I always breed em.

SnowpointQuincy

Seeker of FRIEND CODES
    Years
  • I started with Phanpy and Snezel eggs. Phanpy hatched at the Ruins of Alef. Sadly, Weavile has been underwelming untill later in the game, and I stoped using Donphan because he has few moves and I have sudowoodo, Aggron, and others that are weak to water.

Sorry Round Elephant, Metal Tricerotops wins again!

Porygon-Z

Silph Agent
    Years
    • Seen Aug 17, 2010
    A little curious on people's thoughts on alternate starters or if they're planning to/have used them. I suppose an alt. starter can refer to a Pokemon you catch really early that you replace your normal starter with. The kind I had in mind are ones you actually trade from other games, preferably in eggs (so they won't disobey you). Alternate starters are a fun way to make the adventure more "yours", imo.

I plan on trading over Smoochum and Tyrogue eggs. Despite evolving into two of my favorite Pokemon, I've neglected them, and thought this would be a great chance to use them in a normal playthrough. Plus, these two are normally found fairly late in the game, and I am impatient, lol.

I totally agree! I plan to do this with Porygon-Z when I get my copy of HG!!

The beauty of it is Porygon-Z can reach full evolution at level 1!!
    I'm so excited to have Porygon-Z follow me everywhere!

Theodore Bruno

ADORABLOODTHIRSTY
    Years
    • Seen May 14, 2011
    I was playing around once and decided to a maxed IV, shiny Mew as my starter. It was fun at first because it didn't listen to me, but then it just got boring because I destroyed everything. Next time I try it, I'll do something more interesting. Maybe use my favorite Pokemon, Beedrill or Slowpoke, even though Beedrill sucks. But whatever, he's the coolest Pokemon ever, frike bee, tearing up Pokemon with his drills that pierces the Heavens!

dastandy

Eevee Trainer
    Years
  • I like the Starters in Johto and Kanto; I was thinking of using alts' for R/S/E, and Ive already imported about 30 Pokemon onto my new game of Pearl (though, I lost the catridge; this was a while ago lol) The Sinnoh starters are ugly as Hell, except maybe Piplup.

So I can see why you'd want / you like to do this lol I like starting with Eevee :P

I agree Eevee all the way XD

Sardonix

::Divinity AllSpark Holder::
    Years
  • Eh, I was using Cyndaquil, who evolved into Quilava, but I've used Cyndaquil in the past before and I figured I should use a different Fire type. After debating on who I should use, I just went with Growlithe, who looks awesome, but looks ever cooler when it evolves into Arcanine.

El Diabeetus

Amateur Voice Actor / ROM Editor ('Hacker')
    Years
    • Age 30
    • Seen Jun 10, 2020
    When I get it in English, I'm going to choose Totodile. I'm also going to fill the rest of my team up before I even fight Falkner.

I'm going to breed most of my level 100 Pokémon in my Japanese SoulSilver and hatch the eggs in the English game.

So, my team will be:

Totodile
    Treecko
    Charmander
    Dratini
    Elekid
    Croagunk

Years
    • Seen Mar 26, 2010
    Honestly, I've always wanted to try this, but it seems like too much trouble just for a different starter, I was never interested in the Sinnoh region, and getting a Kanto Alt just seems, well.. Bleh.

Years
    • Seen Mar 9, 2012
    Clefairy (evolved to clefable) was my alt. starter in leaf green :D I still love clefable. I was so attatched to it but my bro erased my game and clefable :<. I don't think I want another one now but it was so fun!

Years
    • Seen May 17, 2010
    i used the pokewalker to get a dratini almost right off the bat. so ive been using him as my starter. but i havent neglected my typhlosion

Yin

Almost Competitive Trainer
    Years
  • I almost always replace my starter in the beginning but for my Soul Silver I did train my Cyndaquil cause I am pretty fond of Quilava and Typhlosion.
    Last time I played GB Silver though I ditched Ty for an Amphrados.

Coin

Years
    • Seen Apr 1, 2010
    I traded over an Eevee, that I later made into an Espeon.

Back