• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Alternative medicine

dragoniteuser

The dragon master
Years
  • What's your opinion on alternative medicine?

IMO it's just a whole lot of mumbo jumbo, that doesn't really do anything to you, but there are a lot of stories, even from people I know that say it really helped! Perhaps it's just a placebo effect..

So let's start a discussion on this matter, and please try to make your posts as argumentative as possible.

twocows

The not-so-black cat of ill omen
    Years
  • Most of it is nonsense. Some of it has some positive effect. Some can be dangerous. It's best to ask a doctor before trying a home remedy to see if it's safe or useful.

Roxichu

Blastoff at the Speed of Light
    Years
  • Some of it is good, some of it is crap. The same goes for "conventional" medicine, even though the drug companies don't want you to know that.

Do your homework and use what's useful, and discard that which isn't.

Years
  • Lets expand on the topic a bit

Now a lot of Alternative medicine is kinda out there, "New Age" stuff.

However.

There is some substance to some of its claims. Take Hidu Yogis, for instance- Hindu Holy men that on average, live to be over 100, and incredible healing abilities for elderly men. Of course there are more plenty more examples.

PlatinumDude

Nyeh?
    Years
  • Taking alternative medicine is a bit risky because as some others said, it may be good or it may be bad. You'll never know what will happen.

twocows

The not-so-black cat of ill omen
    Years
  • Some of it is good, some of it is crap. The same goes for "conventional" medicine, even though the drug companies don't want you to know that.

Do your homework and use what's useful, and discard that which isn't.
    It's more a matter of scale. 99.9% of conventional medicine has some statistically significant effect or it wouldn't pass FDA approval.

dragoniteuser

The dragon master
    Years
  • I agree with Live_Wire!
    Those people DO live to an old age!
    But, can we be sure that it's their "medicine" that affects this?
    I'm a bit sceptical about theese things...

HeyMikey

White Lightning.
    Years
  • Conventional medicine is widely used because it works. When there is proof that these 'alternative' medicines will work for the majority of people then they will be used in practice more, and will become 'conventional' themselves.

And this has happened before, an example being medicinal marijuana. So yes, alternative medicine sometimes works, but is forgotten as being 'alternative' because it has become more commonly used. It's definitely not all a load of rubbish.

Unless I'm misinterpreting the idea of what alternative medicine actually is.

Blue Nocturne

Not THAT one.
    Years
    • Age 28
    • Seen Mar 6, 2013
    Personally I see it as a bit of fun. I'll explore it if I'm in a sarcastic mood. I think i'll leave it with "I'm not going to trust a goats ear to solve any health problems."

Jolene

Your huckleberry friend
    Years
    • Age 28
    • Seen Apr 18, 2024
    I think the worst one is accupuncture. Why would you want someone to put pins in you?

Back