• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Am I the only one here who thinks western cartoons are better than anime?

Western cartoons > anime?

• Yeah

Votes: 7 25.9%
  • Nope

Votes: 20 74.1%

• Total voters

Bay

Years
  • I used to watch a lot of anime, but I then started watching more western cartoons like the Avatar series, Gravity Falls, and Steven Universe. It depends more what kind of genre/story I'm in the mood for, though a lot of new anime I haven't checked out lately because there wasn't something that interested me (and also part of it has to do following other shows).

Years
    • Seen Nov 4, 2017
    Well, I think they are both just as good. I always thought that anime was much better than Western Shows because Cartoon Network, Disney and, nick have awful Japanese Dubs. That changed when I stayed in America for a year. I got to experience it in English and with better voice actors. I was really into shows like Adventure Time but hated show like Regular Show. I was surprised because there wasn't much of a variety of shows on the channels. Especially on Nick. They were mostly focused on Comedy Shows. I think comedy plays a part. I noticed that Japanese and American comedy are completely different. Story wise they also have different tastes. I think that it all depends on your liking, what you're used to, and voice actors. Most people I met in America said they hated anime because it was in Japanese and when they tried to watch the English Dub it was terrible to the point they'd cringe. I think people in the west would move more towards shows in English and made in their country. but then again there are people in the west who have bigger Animelists than I.

Nolafus

Aspiring something
    Years
  • The only real way you can compare the two would be the general art styles, which is actually an interesting debate. I was talking to a coworker about this not too long ago, and he said that he doesn't like animes simply because of the rougher art style. I said that I found animes really interesting because of it. With western cartoons, they tend to downplay a lot of the physical and emotional pain because of their art style, while animes tend to do the opposite and exaggerate those details. I haven't watched enough anime (only got into Attack on Titan) to form an opinion, but I can see the merit on both sides.

Years
  • I'm a fan of both, I guess - I guess I don't really care where it's from as long as it's visually appealing and entertains me

I just like animated shows and movies in general. It just depends if it's visually appealing to me and if I find something about the comedy, story, or characters I like. If I like it visually first, then I'll probably sit and enjoy it. I think a lot of cartoons, past and present, have really gorgeous or interesting art and cool stories? I love the art for Steven Universe, Gravity Falls, Adventure Time, Star vs the Forces of Evil,The Amazing World of Gumball, and the Avatar series. I haven't watched a whole lot of anime shows recently but some I have finished (uh, i guess AoT, KLK, and Michiko e Hatchin even though its not super new) I thought had great art and animation as well?

I can't say one animation style is "better than the other" - maybe "I prefer this cartoon to this anime and here's why" or vice versa, but nothing broad like Western cartoon vs anime.​

Last edited:

Pokemon Game Fan

The Batman
    Years
  • I am inclined to agree. Even for mature audiences. Watch any of DC's animated movies, they're so ridiculously mature for superhero content. Under the Red Hood, Assault on Arkham, Crisis on Two Earths are some of the best examples, just to name a few.

Back