• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Am I the only one who doesn't care about EVs/IVs,Natures and Stuff?

The Annoying Rollout

You already know it
    Years
    I really hate those people who really prioritize these things.Yeah I understand these things but come on!Breeding the "PERFECT" mon for Competitive Battles and Battle Facilities is just a big waste of time.I'm not hating those people,but I'm telling you that you're just wasting your time.Get a JOB you Nerds!

jappo

[b]Thank you for being you![/b]
    Years
    While I do agree that you can play the games perfectly without thinking about EV's and IV's, I dont really like the tone of the original message. Everyone plays the game the way he/she likes to play the games. So dont stress out, Casual playing is as much fun and 'legit' as Competitive.

Reactions: Nah
    Years
    • Seen Feb 9, 2024
    If I'm playing just for me I use whatever I capture in the wild. I'm not really one for competitive battles. I try but it's just to much work for me.

VisualJae

[size=1][FONT=Michroma][color=#a42525][b]Spam Hype
    Years
    Read the title, thought there would be a meaningful discussion somewhere in here.

Read the original post, wondered how far you can get in life with an attitude like that.

Pro tip: narrow-mindedness, let alone insulting others simply for preferences you don't agree with, is a recipe for failure on all sorts of levels. Then again, this is the Internet. People only get more belligerent and cruder with their language with each passing year.

P.S. I have a comfortable well-paying job, an investment portfolio, have money getting saved up for retirement, the essential health benefits, and I manage to find the time to breed Pokémon for EVs/IVs and go out to visit family and friends each week (the last part is for good measure, in case you pull the "get some sun" line like other Internet trolls).

Reactions: noa

EC

Years
    • he/him
    • Seen Jul 1, 2022
    I don't do competitive battling, so I agree with you. Whenever I think of starting, the guides are just too confusing and too much work. I like going through each game multiple times, especially if the endgame content isn't worth not resetting over.

The Annoying Rollout

You already know it
    Years
    LOL.People nowadays took things SERIOUSLY.Competitive battling was just too complicated IMO.I don't even know that Natures,EVs/IVs have effects on Gen 3(I think?).If GF just let us know on how these things work on the Gen they put it in, then I have no problem with it.But right now,It's just too complicated.

Also I'm a busy person so don't judge me people.

Karous

Captain Obvious
    Years
    LOL.People nowadays took things SERIOUSLY.Competitive battling was just too complicated IMO.I don't even know that Natures,EVs/IVs have effects on Gen 3(I think?).If GF just let us know on how these things work on the Gen they put it in, then I have no problem with it.But right now,It's just too complicated.

Also I'm a busy person so don't judge me people.

Hi, I like both casual and competitive Pokemon. Everything about this is bullshit.

You are literally complaining because you were too impatient to understand something, and now you are salty other people want to play in a way different from you. Tbh, from my many years in various communities, I've seen more rude "casual" players salty that they can't win battles and get mad at people because they don't want to put in any effort or play with people who match their gameplay philosophy. I don't care if my assumption strikes a chord with you, that's the simple truth that I see because in no other way should you come into contact with the supposed "harms" that competitive players bring. Smogon, Nugget Bridge, etc. do not have some kind of competitive Pokemon police where you are absolutely required to use certain sets or use a strict party or else you're banned from Showdown or your game cartridge is taken away. People often use the competitive community as scapegoats for conscious design decisions that Gamefreak made. In no other game community have I seen people blame top players instead of developers for game mechanics, which is what makes Pokemon unique in a negative way.

All generations have been played competitive, ironically because of VGCs and game mechanics that have streamlined obtaining Pokemon, GF and TPCi are responsible for making competitive play more accessible and visible.

Just because someone wants to play a certain way shouldn't affect you, Pokemon games by design have something to appeal to everyone. All that matters is that you are having fun with the game, no matter how you play. I like every aspect of Pokemon, and so I think the entire "casual vs competitive" is stupid and pointless because it is all part of Pokemon.

btw, I participated in the VGC community for many years....being good at Pokemon doesn't preclude having a life. There are students, working professionals, and even parents who play very well and rank at Nationals and Worlds with all the responsibilities that comes with life.

Last edited:

Dracowyn

Hell's Traffic Accident
    Years
    I've never cared for EV's and IV's. I just catch stuff and train them without taking those into account.
    Then again, I never really cared for competitive battling either. I can probably count the times I had a battle with someone since generation 1 on my fingers.

I don't mind people who do though, everyone plays the game how they want. For some it's just completing the dex, others shiny hunt and others breed and train their perfect team. It's just not my cup of tea.

Mawa

The typo Queen
    Years
    I don't care for the in-game, I focus on this on the post game to battle online :)

LegendChu

❤ CAREFREE, BUT CARING ❤
    Years
    While I rarely "breed" for perfect Natures or IVs, I do care about EV training. Usually go with whatever Nature I get, but make sure to properly EV Train each Pokemon.

Pika Pika :chu:

Desert Stream~

Holy Kipper!
    Years
    • She/Her
    • Seen Aug 20, 2023
    I really hate those people who really prioritize these things.
    ...I'm not hating those people
    lol

I don't do competitive outside of showdown, but I still breed for near-perfect pokemon.

I always try for 6 perfect IV's if I can.

Nature I don't really care that much about, as It's too unpredictable, and I don't know which ones are good for which Pokemon ect.

EVs are important, although again I don't really know which are good for what.

There's no shame in doing this stuff, you don't even need to be a battler. Some people just have more time then others.

Reactions: noa

noa

sleeping cutie
    Years
    I don't care about EVs/IVs/Natures for my story playthroughs as it doesn't matter to me.
    However, I think you don't have the best attitude about this. Breeding for perfect Pokemon is fun and thrilling to many people, as is competitive play. We usually do it while doing other things. (And many of us have jobs and go to school so uhh, lol)
    So let's not insult others for how they play the game. :)

Back