• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

6th Gen Am I the only one who doesn't use fly anymore?

Stroker Ace

YOUR WORST NIGHTMARE, BUTTHORN
Years
    • Seen Oct 14, 2018
    I mean, with the introduction of Soar, why even use Fly anymore? In online matches, the two-turn move lets the opponent switch to a steel pokemon or whatnot. Thing is, a lot of people at the Pokemon Club use it still, and it bewilders me. I know it's a bit of a pain using soar, but personally, I see no more need to use Fly. Plus it frees up a move space for your competitive team. But to each their own, I suppose.

Having said that, do you still use fly? If so, for what reason?

Dracowyn

Hell's Traffic Accident
    Years
  • I still use fly. It's faster than soaring, especially for faraway locations.

Plus, it's not such a bad move ingame. The AI is pretty much too dumb to switch in anyways. But soaring is indeed handy for people who don't use fly or don't want an ingame team with a flying pokemon just to move around.

Years
    • She/Her, It/Its
    • Online now
    I'm using Fly on my breeder Talonflame. It's more about efficiency, really. I don't want to waste more time having to fly somewhere by my own, when I can still use the old fashioned automated way that flies me across the whole region in no time.

I think it wouldn't be so bad if we hadn't to watch the mega evolution cutscene every time. It's just such a time waster...

blue

gucci
    Years
  • I originally had Fly on my Altaria right up until I was able to use the Soar feature, now I use that instead of Fly completely. It's way more efficient and gets you directly to where you need to be.

Lucifer

Fallen1
    Years
  • I deleted fly from my Skarmory the moment I acquired the ability to soar. True, it can take me some extra time to locate my desired destination because my sense of direction on the map isn't the best but the extra precision is well worth the freed up pokemon/move slot.

Most of the time especially in my more recent playthroughs of any game, I'd rather not teach an HM I didn't desire to use in battle purely for its inability to be removed until reaching the move deleter who is typically located in one of the last three gym cities in any version. I've noticed that they're becoming more and more useless both in and out of battle with each generation. Surf and fly are the only HMs which are still efficient but I'd been jonesing to teach my Skarmory Steel Wing (or maybe it was metal claw, I just know it was a steel move) with fly as its only move I was willing to part with.

In addition, the wild battles are interesting, not to mention possibly useful being the highest leveled in the game pre-Ever Grande. In addition, since soaring is the only way mirage spots can be accessed it just makes sense to combine fly with that for a single mode of air transportation.

While some find the repeated wait through the opening animation obnoxious I don't have a problem with it and I don't understand the argument that flying is faster. That is true but barely. Once you get used to the soar map it only takes a few extra seconds if you don't end up in a wild battle along the way and when you think about it fly's opening animation is just about as long as soar's.

Last edited:

Nah

Years
    • Age 31
    • she/her, they/them
    • Seen today
    I haven't used Fly in ORAS since I unlocked the ability to Soar. Yeah, Flying's faster, but Soaring doesn't take that long and is waaaaaaaaay cooler.

Years
  • The only real reason I bother with Fly is when I go into the menu with the PokéNav to see which trainers want to rematch me or what not. Other than that, soaring is the way to go most of the time.

destinedjagold

You can contact me in PC's discord server...
    Years
    • Seen Dec 23, 2023
    If only we could skip the cutscenes when soaring, then I'd probably use it more. But since we couldn't, I'll be sticking with fly. :P

Bounsweet

Fruit Pokémon
    Years
    • Seen Sep 17, 2018
    I don't use it at all anymore lol. I've always hated how Fly (and Surf) take up move slots when they're moves that a Pokémon should be able to use anyway... like Lati@s and Soar lol. The little cut scenes and having to actually do the Flying are so worth not having to keep a random Pokémon in my party just for Fly.

DyingWillFlareon

Burning Candle
    Years
  • I really enjoy the Soaring cutscenes and such. And even did exactly like Blue- I instantly got rid of Fly from my own Altaria in favor of Soar. Even was able to get rid of Surf and Waterfall after reaching Evergrande! Actually I think you need at least Surf for Victory Road..... But whatever.
    I didn't use Latias ingame so this makes up for it. Getting to Soar on her is awesome and I've memorized the entire Hoenn map in better detail then I had before, along with Mirage Spots and other legends. I even found Cresent Isle twice.... Too bad Cresselia doesn't respawn. XD
    Anyhow, I agree that Soar might be the new 'walking Pokemon' thing. I still use fly in Y of course, except I always forget and open my Town Map from the select menu first. :/

Meganium

[i]memento mori[/i]
    Years
  • I already unlocked Soar, but I still use Fly...even in battle too. I haven't really bothered to delete the move. lmao.

ANARCHit3cht

Call me Archie!
    Years
    • Seen Sep 25, 2020
    I don't even have the games and had no idea this was a feature but I'm suddenly getting the urge to throw money at my computer screen until a 3DS and Pokemon OR/AS pops out. Needless to say, if I had the game I'd soar all the time.

If you never hear from me again its because I spent all my money to acquire the ability to Soar and am thus living under a cardboard box with my shiny new Pokemon game.

Drakonaait

It's pronounced "ite" ...
    Years
  • I haven't used Fly in ORAS since I unlocked the ability to Soar. Yeah, Flying's faster, but Soaring doesn't take that long and is waaaaaaaaay cooler.

You mean "waaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaay cooler." :p

Years
    • Seen Oct 9, 2017
    Fly would be useless if I were a competitive player. But I'm not. So I still use it, since it's convenient.

Fly actually can be used competitively as it can force a switch out, people always forget that. Particularly if (for example) a Golurk is using it, so they swap into a steel or rock type to not take much damage from Fly but then after it lands it can use Earthquake or a fighting move, so two turn moves do have their place in specific situations, even at the very least just buying yourself extra turns for time.

KostK2Boss

Europe Confirmed!!!
    Years
  • As a few others have said, the Soaring animations can be time-consuming. I mean yes, they only last a few more seconds than the Flying animations, but when you regularly have to fly between Blissey Secret Base(s), Lilicove City (for the lottery), specific Horde locations and the Battle Resort, those extra few seconds start to add up. And seeing how you can put your Wifi team in your Battle Box, I don't see what's the deal with having a Fly user in your party, unless you want to have two different Wifi teams between the Battle Box and your actual party, so you can alternate between the two.

PokéMew1

Pokémon Fuchsia
    Years
  • I use fly all the time still, like everyone else said, it's faster. Soar is definitely more fun and exciting I suppose, but that doesn't change the fact that I'd prefer to use fly over soar when going from Mossdeep to Fallarbor :)

Altius

Flygon Fan
    Years
  • I don't use fly anymore, but I'm having second thoughts.

Soaring to a place like Meteor Falls (secret base) is always a pain.

Back