• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

6th Gen Am I the only one who doesn't use fly anymore?

Years
  • I use Soar more than Fly, but I still use Fly on occasion. I mostly just want to stay in the habit of using it because Game Freak probably wont be including it in the next game because Game Freak.

PlatinumDude

Nyeh?
    Years
  • As soon as I gained access to the Eon Flute, I boxed Swellow and used soaring as my main town-hopping method. It may be more time-consuming to go from one town to the other, but it's more fun.

Arylett Charnoa

No one in particular.
    Years
    • Age 32
    • Seen Jan 5, 2023
    I removed Fly for the move slot wasting issue and now exclusively use Soar. Yes, Fly's more convenient. Especially for me, because I get super lost and don't know the layout of Hoenn all that well, so it takes me forever to find where I'm going. But I don't really care. Don't want to waste that slot. And whilst I hate that Mega Evolution cutscene and find it cumbersome, I like the classic feeling of flying through the region. It's like an old Final Fantasy game from the Playstation era. I just love world maps and airships. Also, I usually find some Mirage Spots and Legendaries as I'm going along too.

Cyclone

Eye of the Storm
    Years
    • Seen Oct 3, 2016
    It's still quicker to move about the game using Fly, and if you have a Talonflame with Flame Body, it gives you the extra Egg hatching help (note to self, clone my Lv.100 one to move over for the Battle Resort). However, Soaring just is more fun.

I've been pottering about in Smash lately, but when I swap back into Pokémon, I'll be looking at getting my Pokédex full so I can start hunting down Egg Moves and then breed for Shinies.

sab

Now too much of a life.
    Years
  • When the idea of soaring was first shown off, I honestly thought that they were going to replace the fly mechanic with soaring. I can't really say that I use soaring much, but that's only because I always carry around an HM slave for busy work, and it happens to have fly. I guess it's slightly faster to fly than to soar, but I honestly don't see why they need both in the game.

Twilight-kun

Pokémon World Champion
    Years
    • Seen Jul 27, 2023
    The things I like about Soaring is the Night Music (reminded me of Unova's gate theme) and the Mirage Spots

I wish there were more Pokémon options though, like Rayquaza and Mega Pidgeot

HUGE missed opportunity there...ah well, maybe next Gen

Starry Windy

Everything will be Daijoubu.
    Years
  • I still use Fly at times, in case I want to go to some routes quickly. Even though Soar is also the cool alternative to fly, because I love its music, and how I can ride my Latias to where I wanted to be.

Altairis

take me ☆ take you
    Years
  • I never use Fly anymore! This was especially useful when I was completing the Hoenn Pokedex. My party consisted of my lv 100 Sceptile with False Swipe and 5 Pokemon that I was trying to level up with the EXP Share so they would evolve. Maximum efficiency because then I didn't have to carry a Fly HM slave while I walked around Hoenn :) Plus, Soaring doesn't take that long anyway, and you can encounter the Mirage Islands and catch even more Pokemon.

antemortem

rest after tomorrow
    Years
  • uhhh... I find it kind of inconvenient to have to wait for the soar and land animations, as they are a few seconds longer than the Fly animations. Plus, I don't really like having to hover over the cities (somewhat too precisely for my tastes) to land, and tapping the map on the bottom screen and hitting Fly is a lot quicker. I do soar a lot, don't get me wrong - I just haven't replaced using Fly with it.

JP

wut?
    Years
    • Age 33
    • USA
    • Seen Dec 13, 2019
    The animations can be a pain to go through when you have multiple places you want to go to, but it's definitely more fun and dare I say easier than needing an HM Fly slave in your party. I use the Soaring mechanic most of the time lol.

Years
    • Seen Feb 7, 2017
    In the beginning, I didn't use Fly at all, because soaring was way too good to not use. But now it got a bit boring, and the cutscenes are too long, so I use Fly again (Except when searching for new Mirage spots everyday). Oh well...

Candy

[img]http://i.imgur.com/snz4bEm.png[/img]
    Years
  • Well in the beginning I used Soar all the time. But then it got tedious when I'm flying to search for Secret Bases and the like. Honestly, I don't want to fly from the Battle Resort all the way to Route 115 just to go to my Secret Base manually, it's faster to use Fly.

It's easier to have a Pokemon with Fly so you can immediately fly to a location via AreaNav. Other than that, I use Soar if I feel like exploring the Hoenn skies or searching for Mirage Spots.

I'd use soar all the time if the cutscene isn't so long though. Pokemon Rangers: Guardian Signs simply had the Lati@s swoop down, pick you up and boom, you're flying in the sky already! Not to mention they have an area list that you could use as shortcuts. The spin-off did a good job making soaring not too tedious, why can't they do that? At least put shortcuts to the cities and towns.

Gligar

Bruhfication Sayan
    Years
  • Personally, on average, I use fly like around 10 to 11 times per 4 hours or so.

Wobb

Wynaut
    Years
  • I use Fly all the time. i would Soar if the Mega Evolving thing and landing things were shorter. And if you could just press where you wanted to go and then you're there.
    But, Flying is just so much faster!

Leviathan

[span="font-family:ubuntu; color: whitesmoke; padd
    Years
  • I don't think I've used Fly at all this generation. I don't have the 6th gen games and the fast travel provided by the NPC did most of the fly-worthy traveling for me anyway. Soaring imo is simply better -- despite the mandatory cutscene. Plus; mirage spots! Which I think you can't get to using fly?

LyokoGirl5000

Lyoko Princess
    Years
  • I use Fly in my Alpha Sapphire. Not in my failed Omega Ruby Wonderlocke. I don't see the point of Fly once I get the ability to Soar for the story. Fly's useful for Secret Base hunting, Soaring is better for getting to places.

Years
  • Fly is quicker for me. When you soar, you have to wait and watch Lati mega-evolve and I aint got time for that.

Soaring is cool tho.

Years
    • Seen Nov 14, 2023
    If I have a Pokemon with Fly in my party, I'll use Fly. If not, I'll soar.

Back