• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

6th Gen Am I the only one who doesn't use fly anymore?

Mimikyu402

Flareon Master
Years
  • Fly is faster since you dont have to see the darn mega evolve scene each time like with soar and flying alow you to land on any specific route now just like soar does

Years
  • I generally find myself using soar most times as I only carry my three main Pokemon with me (Sceptile, Mightyena, Metagross) but if it's a short distance, say Mauville to Verdanturf (should walk but too lazy :p) I use fly if it's on hand.

colter519

Youngster
    Years
  • It kind of depends on how I'm feeling for me. I find soaring to be more fun, but I am sick of that mega evolution cutscene (I zone out during it now). Also, checking on mirage spots daily is nice. However, if I have extra room in my party or I'm hopping around to check on berries, rematches, secret bases, etc. it's much more convenient to use fly since I can select it from my pokenav. And yes, I do farm berries all over. It's pretty convenient now that you can fly to a specific route, and the berry master still has a limit to how many can be grown there...

Years
    • Seen Aug 26, 2023
    I still use it quite often, actually! The Lati@s animation is cool and all but it's time consuming and just flying does the job better. It's quite a waste to use the HM though when you can fly on the Eon when it doesn't even need to be on your party.

When I do fly on my Latios though, oh man it is fun! I like going as high as I can and just generally flying and messing around before I go to where I'm actually supposed to go lol.

Dedenne1

[SPAN="FONT-SIZE:16.5PX; FONT-FAMILY: SATISFY; TEX
    Years
  • My Altraria knew at first but i deleted it b/c i got a Latias! Im gonna ride it everywhere i go!
    Literally i just imagine myself riding into a city on a mega evolved Latias how sick is that? Im just flying everywhere on her now! Plus i like to fly around look at everywhere and see the mirage islands and such. Why would i use boring old fly anymore? Haha

Years
  • I use Fly all the time. @_@; It's definitely convenient not needing a flyer on your team to go places but soaring takes a while and I'm almost always in a hurry when flying around. It's just a lot more convenient for someone like me who goes back and forth often for way too many things. :(

colter519

Youngster
    Years
  • I don't care for soar being limited to only the latis. I love both of them oh so much and used latias on the initial playthrough, but having to have one of them in your party just to then sit through the cutscenes is too much for me.

You don't have to have one of them in your party. In fact, you could even trade away or release your latias/latios and you'd still be able to soar. The most convenient thing about soar is that you call the pokemon from wherever it happens to be, without you even needing to use it.

Years
  • I use it. With the addition of the new fly mechanic where you can fly to routes now it makes pokemon hunting much more easier. Plus you dont get the eon flute until sometime after you get fly, or at least as far as i can remember. Ive been playing competitive for so long now i cant remember the storyline XD

Kameken

URYYYYYYYYY
    Years
  • I use fly.

It's not a terrible move itself, and it's the best flying STAB move I can give my dragonite, Volg. Worst case scenario, they switch out when the move starts and it doesn't do much damage.

People always worry about switchouts too much. Unless the opponent knows I'll use fly before I do, they'll only switch out after the first turn, so on the second turn they take slight damage and Volg is ready for action.

Unless I have Volg with me, though, I go with the Soar function, and I really hope they bring it into the future games.

Spoiler:

Years
    • Seen Mar 5, 2016
    I use fly up until the point I get Soar, it is cooler and to be honest it does mean you can remove the need for having a specific flying poke in your party - especially seeing as ORAS already needs a HM slave in the first place, which I think is the only thing I dislike about the start of ORAS.

Either way, I haven't used Fly competitively since I came back to Pokemon with X and Y (which is pretty limited - granted).

Back