• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Am I too old for this?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Years
  • I recently turned 25 years old (6 days ago). Few days ago I found out about Pokemon Moon / Sun and watched it on youtube and I noticed a booster pack unboxing vid and decided to watch it. For some weird nostalgia reason I decided to order a Pokemon booster packs (36)!

I remember back in the days when the first Pokemon booster packs were released. Everybody went nuts for them. I had saved up £2, i think the pack were£2 or something. I had no friends growing up, and it was a very lonely childhood. And I decided to go out and buy a pack. I wasnt very familiar with the streets and all because I'd get bullied by other kids so I wouldn't go outside a lot. Whenever I did, I'd come home crying lolz. I bought a pack and from the excitement I opened the pack and found a shiny Venusaur 1st edition. On my way home, these group of kids decided to search my pocket and steal the cards. And after that I never bought a pack again lol

So that brings me back to this day. Im 25, i play Omega Ruby and Y. I'm about to get some booster packs soon. Am I too old for this hobby?

I missed out a lot of Pokemon back in the day, having no friends at all to play with or share with. Im stil like that today. It would be weird going out askin people same age as me if they play / collect pokemon lol But if theres someone here, add me as a friend!

ddrox13

Anti-Nonsense
    Years
  • I recently turned 25 years old (6 days ago). Few days ago I found out about Pokemon Moon / Sun and watched it on youtube and I noticed a booster pack unboxing vid and decided to watch it. For some weird nostalgia reason I decided to order a Pokemon booster packs (36)!

I remember back in the days when the first Pokemon booster packs were released. Everybody went nuts for them. I had saved up £2, i think the pack were£2 or something. I had no friends growing up, and it was a very lonely childhood. And I decided to go out and buy a pack. I wasnt very familiar with the streets and all because I'd get bullied by other kids so I wouldn't go outside a lot. Whenever I did, I'd come home crying lolz. I bought a pack and from the excitement I opened the pack and found a shiny Venusaur 1st edition. On my way home, these group of kids decided to search my pocket and steal the cards. And after that I never bought a pack again lol

So that brings me back to this day. Im 25, i play Omega Ruby and Y. I'm about to get some booster packs soon. Am I too old for this hobby?

I missed out a lot of Pokemon back in the day, having no friends at all to play with or share with. Im stil like that today. It would be weird going out askin people same age as me if they play / collect pokemon lol But if theres someone here, add me as a friend!

The short answer is:
    NO!

I will always cite that one TCG tournament I went to where the 16+ age group had TWICE as many people as both younger age groups COMBINED. I'd actually say the most populous age group competitive-wise is the recent college grads.

As far as finding people your own age that do this, I can see the struggle. I've found that the most effective way is to go to sanctioned events and look around. If nothing else, go to your local Pokemon League. Even if there is no one else your age (which would surprise me), most people who attend those things could not care less how old the person they are playing with is, and will respect you the same at any age. The trick is to find a league where the parents play too, as they generally keep the kids in line.

LilBueno

Boy Wonder
    Years
  • I'll be 25 this year, finishing my degree, a supervisor at my job (supposed to be a manager, but the new store's not open yet), engaged, and I have plenty of responsibilities like taking care of my mother.
    I'm not too old for the series at all. The friends I play with are older than me, if not in my age group. Now, I can't go around trying to play with kids (they are the series' primary audience, after all), and I can't follow the series extensively because of time and responsibilities, but that doesn't stop me from enjoying the game at all. To quote Frank Wright, "the trick is to grow up without growing old." If you enjoy it, you enjoy it. Simple as that.

Years
    • Age 37
    • Seen today
    I'm 29, and I'm still enjoying Pokemon. To the point where I'm stealing a table cloth from Toys R Us's Pokemon TCG events because it has Meowth on it.

There really isn't an age limit on enjoying something. I know that people do tend to look on others if they're a particular age and enjoying something made for a much younger age group. But, speaking as someone who like the Wiggles when I was in high school (the music got me up and dance, which was much needed exercise to help my depression!), I see no fault with those that like something made for an audience that's much younger.

If you're ever feeling like you're too old to enjoy Pokemon cards, check out some of the World Champions for the TCG tournaments. Jason Klaczynski, who won in 2013, is turning 31 this year and is still going to Regional Championships and playing the game.

Go enjoy Pokemon. Have fun.

Years
  • I'll be 24 this year and I'm still a huge fan of Pokemon. I had a Pikachu plushie when I was younger, and I had been playing every main series game since 3rd Gen, and been watching the anime for years. Pokemon to me, is now a franchise that literally everyone can love, because there's a fair share of teens and adults who grew up with Pokemon and still love it.

Years
  • If you find it childish then you can have it as hobby to not prevent you from you irl responsibilities if not then it's never too late bro always remember King Elizabello's (YEAH ME lol) golden rule: Whatever you do do it to have fun :).

P.S This site is a pokemon site and there are probably people the same age as you or older and still play pokemon so i don't think you are old for that.

SaniOKh

Too old for this stuff
    Years
  • I recently turned 28, and I'm playing the hell out of Gen 1 on Virtual Console right now.
    I know someone who is more or less two years older than me and he still plays Pokémon.

Jessie

Don't forget to be awesome.
    Years
  • You are absolutely NOT too old.

I am almost 24, play the games, watch the anime, collect Pokemon plushies, and currently learning the TCG.

If you enjoy it, that's all that matters!

People may say that I'm too old for a "child's game/show/etc". But you know what? I am so passionate about Pokemon, it's an escape from the every day world, and it's been in my life for 19 years now. I wonder if the people that say I'm too old feel so passionate about anything? Maybe they're all just sticks in the mud.

Years
  • There's definitely an older crowd of Pokemon fans around the forum- I just turned 24 a couple months ago. I may not be as big of a fan of the series as I was 10+ years ago, but I still buy the games on release day, and even pick up a pack of cards from the TCG every once and a while (though, more so for collecting than battling at this point).

But as everyone else has said, you're never too old for Pokemon, and don't let anyone tell you otherwise!

Harmonie

Winds ღ
    Years
  • Whatever makes you happy. Personally, my enjoyment of Pokemon post 11/12 years old really stops with the video games. But I sure as heck do love the video games. lol What's the point in stopping liking something just because you're getting older? I generally don't even enjoy 'adult' media (from video games to TV shows, etc.), and I don't see what's wrong with that.

As much as I want to say "The cards are stupid" that's mainly because my parents spent so much money on them for me, and I feel bad about it to this day. I can't say I don't have any such interests, as over the last couple of years I've really gotten into collecting primarily G3 My Little Pony brushables. So I can't judge you. =P

Pok3manMast3r

Banned
    Years
    • Seen Jul 19, 2016
    I recently turned 25 years old (6 days ago). Few days ago I found out about Pokemon Moon / Sun and watched it on youtube and I noticed a booster pack unboxing vid and decided to watch it. For some weird nostalgia reason I decided to order a Pokemon booster packs (36)!

your never too old for Pokémon reason Pokémon is Awesome

Itcheeee

All Hail Shadow
    Years
  • There is never an age limit on Pokemon. Most fans I know are atleast in their early 20's as I am, and I get just as excited over Pokenews as a kid. Or moreso, as I really appreciate it so much more. There are huge, hardcore collectors out there. Most of them, are adults :)

And I also missed out on most of Pokemon besides the anime, merch, and the 64 & NGC games. What did I do? Watch the anime complete from the beginning, read the mangas from the beginning, and over time got every game. Now I'm slowly getting all the side games, and enjoying the heck out of it :D It's easy to make up for missing out, though it does take time. :)

khaozz

Peace sells, but who's buying?
    Years
    • Seen Nov 26, 2018
    Pokemon games are rated E. E stands for Everyone, not Children Only. If you genuinely enjoy it, then there's no shame in doing so.

Years
    • Seen Jul 2, 2023
    I agree with everyone else: if you enjoy Pokemon, you're not too old for it. For years, I expected to outgrow the series, to move on like my classmates did. But I didn't. Sure, my interest waxed and waned a bit, but I always found the series both engaging and relaxing. Pokemon remained a stable constant in my life, even as a lot of other things changed. At a certain point, I realized that I would always like Pokemon, and I'm perfectly content with that. I'm 24, and Pokemon makes me happy.

And if you still feel unsure/guilty about liking Pokemon, think of it this way: everyone has a guilty pleasure. As such things go, what harm is there in Pokemon? All things considered, while I personally am still [irrationally] afraid to tell most people I know that I like Pokemon, it's a pretty good vice to have. It's relatively cheap, doesn't hurt anyone, and uses my brain (for competitive battling, breeding, etc.). As for the cards, I finally reclaimed a Charizard card from 16 years ago this Christmas (long story). As silly as I felt, it was one of my favorite Christmas gifts of sorts. Nostalgia is awesome.

It's obvious from this thread that a lot of us are in our 20s, so you're certainly not alone. But even if you were 100+, if you enjoyed Pokemon, I would still recommend playing it and enjoying the franchise. After all, as someone else pointed out, it's rated E for Everyone for a reason.

Jetfire

أربعة ملوك السماوية
    Years
  • Just the other day, I bought the "Yugi's deck" box from Walmart. Of course I walked out of there like a stud. I was buying my childhood dream for $30, Exodia. Am I ever going to use it? Probably not, but if I'm ever in a life-threatening duel.. I got a good deck.
    (That's how I sold myself on the idea of buying cards)

Dude, I'm 24. College graduate and I work on Wall Street. I really do appreciate my downtime.

Pokemon is what kept me out of trouble. Growing up, I didn't live in the best of neighborhoods. My mother would buy me a pack whenever she could. Just like you, I prayed for whatever holographic card I could get. I remember opening up to a Tyranitar. Boy, was I happy. Then it was stolen lol.

I think about it like this. If it makes you happy, then do it! It's your life and you're living it the way you want to. Of course, there should be a balance between it all and if you have your priorities taken care of.. then having some Pokemon downtime shouldn't be a problem.

Years
  • Nintendo games in general tend to get sideways glances for being "childish" but I never felt this was the case. Nintendo, and especially Pokémon, is a brand that becomes a part of who you are and grows with you.

I'm am legit 30 years old, have been playing Pokémon since Gen 1 of course, and still play it proudly to this day (just the video games, but I enjoy exploring the TGC from time to time). I enjoy the way the franchise has grown and look forward to its future (especially Pokémon Go).

ShinyUmbreon189

VLONE coming soon
    Years
  • No man. Pokemon's an RPG game that takes skills to complete the game and it's very competitive. There's things in Pokemon games that children don't quite understand like us adults do (IV's, EV's, breeding, natures, abilities), and even mythology's most legendary Pokemon are based off of. If someone thinks you're too old for Pokemon then they've obviously never played Pokemon. If it wasn't for Pokemon I wouldn't be able to read because I refused to read in school haha. It's not a matter of how old you are, it's a matter of do you still enjoy the games? If so then no you're not too old, who cares what others think anyways? Do you bro.

Status
    Not open for further replies.
    Back