• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Amateurish sites?

Amateurish sites?

• They are plain black on white(example: [url]http://www.stallman.org/[/url])

Votes: 4 14.3%
  • Excessive use of images, plugins marquee, and more

Votes: 10 35.7%
  • No CSS

Votes: 4 14.3%
  • No layout

Votes: 10 35.7%

• Total voters

蜃気楼

Jirachi Fan
Years
    • Seen Feb 27, 2010
    Have you ever seen some amateurish sites? If you did, what does a typical amateurish site look like?
    For me, an amateurish site has a tiled background image, and animated GIF for "Email me button", full of <font> tags, deprecated attributes, clip arts, no layout, and no CSS.
    Here's a typical amateurish site:
    https://members.shaw.ca/mstrott/
    and
    https://buizel.net/Index2.htm (no CSS and a BG image)
    That site has full of font tags such as "<font face="Footlight MT Light" size="3">", the author should use CSS instead.

蜃気楼

Jirachi Fan
    Years
    • Seen Feb 27, 2010
    Here's a typical example of amateurish site:(see attachment)

Frostweaver

Ancient + Prehistoric
    Years
  • As a teacher myself, I think the first site is perfectly fine. It's meant to deliver information in the easiest way to access possible, and it's not hard to find the quizzes of that site. That is all that matters.

If you think that is unacceptional, try this one: https://www.ualberta.ca/~sgraves/225/home.htm

蜃気楼

Jirachi Fan
    Years
    • Seen Feb 27, 2010
    That one looks like a BSoD, and most of the pages are in PDF.
    The teacher should convert the PDF to HTML so students without a browser on computer can see it
    (some students use cell phones to access the Internet to see their homework)

Lord Kokkei

Whooplaz!!!
    Years
  • There are no such things as amateurish sites. Layouts are simply how users navigate through and connect with the content. It doesn't mean a site is "amateurish" simply because it has bad layout.

蜃気楼

Jirachi Fan
    Years
    • Seen Feb 27, 2010
    They are mainly made by newbies.
    They do not use CSS and they use full of <font> tags

Lord Kokkei

Whooplaz!!!
    Years
    Let me make this clear. A good website does not require a good layout and perfect coding. The eye candy that comes from nice layouts only complements the content. Would you go to a website that has the most beautiful layout ever with no content and browse for more than 10 minutes? I would guess no. Sure, these sites look noob, but who cares? THEY GET INFORMATION ACROSS. That's all websites should do. If you just want people to look at eye candy, I suggest a trip to the art gallery.

蜃気楼

Jirachi Fan
    Years
    • Seen Feb 27, 2010
    I think that some sites are so inaccessible, they just abuse graphics and plugins, the text is very hard to see
    The biggest problem is that some people put black text on a dark BG to make it so hard to read

Years
  • Even if a website has information, no one will stay on a bad site for long (if the person doesn't press the back button straight away <_< ) if its littered with stupid pictures, bad layout, flash/pictures that make the site take forever to load etc

Just because a site has information, doesn't mean it's good. It should have a decent layout, it should be coded in a way that makes it compatible with major browsers (like IE and Firefox) etc I could also get into what professional web devs have to think about but I will leave it at that

so in reply to this

A good website does not require a good layout and perfect coding

good layout = yes for reasons stated above, as for perfect coding, it doesn't need perfect code but it does need coding that will make it compatible with major browsers such as IE and FF otherwise problems can arise for those viewing the web page on the aforementioned browsers

Lord Kokkei

Whooplaz!!!
    Years
  • no u phail. Serebii is a good website, but does it have a good layout? NO! Does it have perfect coding? NO! so there. Point proven.

Lord Kokkei

Whooplaz!!!
    Years
  • Right. Don't go to Serebii for a day and we'll see where you get your stupid pokemon info. Aren't all the other crap sites here based on Serebii? HA!

Years
  • Wow, just ignoring everything I put in my post, well done.

Now with Serebii, I haven't checked the code and I don't have time to just now but layout wise, it has a pretty nice layout and I don't see any real problems on IE or Firefox. The only real thing i would change is perhaps the text colour (black on green is a bit hard to see sometimes) plus they have a nice banner as well.

so in reply to:

but does it have a good layout? NO! Does it have perfect coding? NO! so there.

It does have a good layout, and the coding is done well enough that it doesn't cause any problems (that I could see) between firefox and Internet explorer.

Serebii

Webmaster of Serebii.net
    Years
    • Seen Aug 24, 2012
    As someone pointed me to this thread for my opinion on website coding, let me put in my thoughts;

Coding is not what makes a site (yes I realise what I said). It makes it in the means that it constructs it, but that's not necessarily the best thing.

Take CSS and XHTML. At the moment, the worst thing you could do, if you wish to have a successful site, is code entirely with the layout in CSS using divs and aligning and positioning it with the stylesheet.

Due to browser compatibility, it will not render accurately and as such you'd have the site working well one one browser but poorly on others.

I recently experienced this with Pokéarth on my site. I was trying to be flash and have it with perfect coding and everything, but it was not displaying correctly across all browsers? So what did I do? I went back to basics and utilised them as guess what, they all render correctly on all browsers.

A good layout is not one that is perfectly coded or necessarily looks fantastic. It's one that sets everything out in a relatively pleasing manner and has everything on the site accessible within 2 or 3 clicks.

Plus, just to clarify, perfect coding is NOT essential. Very very VERY few websites on the internet have perfect coding. Look at my site, it's a highly comprehensive site with a functional layout and so forth, but the coding is a mish-mash of 9 years worth of knowledge from very little to my vast skill-set of this day and it's just unfeasible for me to convert the one million plus pages on my site.

蜃気楼

Jirachi Fan
    Years
    • Seen Feb 27, 2010
    About Serebii, it looks completely prefect.
    Your coding is not very perfect, but it worked.
    The layout is relative and usable.

You are using SSI, that's easier to manage.
    but I wrote a complete new content management system to make my site organized.

Back