• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

An Original Theory?

Years
    • Seen Jul 8, 2013
    So, I recently came up with a theory, which is probably wrong, but seems like it could be true.

So, we know that originally, clefairy rather than pikachu was planned to be the mascot for the Pokemon Anime, and it would probably have became the mascot for the series like pikachu as a result. It is also the general consensus (as far as I can tell), that pokemon such as marill, plusle/minun, pachurisu and emolga have intended similarities to Pikachu, for whatever reason, maybe to feed off his popularity.

That got me wondering, if clefairy had been the mascot for the anime, would we have seen a load of clefairy look alikes instead? And then I thought, what if we do have a clefairy look alike. Togepi.

The Evidence

I'm pretty sure that the second generation was in development during the planning stages of the Pokemon Anime, because Ho-oh (albeit a early design) plays a role in the first episode. It also seems like clefairy was the intended mascot during the early planning of Gen 2 because clefairy received a prevolution, cleffa, much like pikachu did with pichu.

Togepi being an intended look alike of clefairy (which at this point the developers may well have been considering the mascot) would also explain the large role it was given in both the games and the anime.

If we look at similarities between clefairy and togepi, there are quite a few:
    Both are normal types.
    Both had two stages in the game they were introduced.
    Both of their evolutions have wings.
    Both of them are well known for using the move metronome.
    Clefairy has rosy cheeks and lines around it's eyes, and in its original sprites, togepi has lines next to its eyes which could be seen as either rosy cheeks or eye lines like clefairy's. In its most recent sugimori art, togepi has the eye lines.
    They both have the same pose in their pokemon gold sprites, which also shows us they have almost identical feet.

https://www.serebii.net/Pictures/035.gif
    https://www.serebii.net/Pictures/175.gif

As a final note, I know that togepi and clefairy do not share as many similarities as, say, pikachu and pachurisu, but remember that the pikachu look alike in this generation was marill, which I beleive has no more similarities to pikachu than togepi does to clefairy.

So, I hope you enjoyed reading this and that it was comprehensible. What do you think? Could this be the origin of togepi?

fuz

Years
    • Seen May 11, 2012
    I suspect that Pokemon was always about animals and Pikachu seems (funnily enough) a more reasonable animal-like Pokemon. Pikachu is a mouse but he is electric. The guy who invented Pokemon liked animals.

I am not sure how we came to clefairy though. I agree with your theory though. They have designed the Pokemon to be on the front of the game boxes. They either have to look cute or ridiculously cool and strong. Hence Chararizard for RBY and every other legendary forward.

They have to make the Pokemon 'better' each time otherwise people won't buy it.

bobandbill

one more time
    Years
  • I'm not so convinced, only because that there's more similarities beyond those two species gaining similarties between others. For instance, there's always a new Normal/Flying Pokemon every generation catchable early. And always a rodent/small mammal Normal type early on in the games that also serves as a HM slave. And with those I am sure there are many more similarities to be drawn between those sets.

Yoshikko

the princess has awoken while the prince sleeps on
    Years
    • Seen Apr 27, 2020
    Well I do agree on that the eyes of Togepi and Clefairy are unique, they are the only ones to share that, but I'm not sure if it really says anything. Agree with BaB basically.

Back