• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Tool: And Ceiling Cat Said: "Let there be Starter Cat!" [DP]

Years
  • Gabe, stop being rude. You don't need to act like a jerk, do you? JUST BECAUSE YOU ARE A GOOD HACKER, YOU DON'T NEED TO CONSIDER OTHERS BEING SOMETHING LESS THAN YOU.

*snap* Calm down.

Okay, the tool you have here is nice and simple. When people roll on hacking of DP in a more serious way, your tool will be a big help ;)

Cheers!

I DON'T CONSIDER OTHER BEINGS SOMETHING LESS THAN ME, BUT WHEN THEY COMPLAIN TO ME, FLAME ME, TRY TO SEND ME FAKE MAP EDITORS, AND ACCUSE EVERYTHING I'VE DONE OF BEING WRONG.

I'm not gonna calm down till people learn to do stuff for themselves.

Also, the tool won't be that useful, there are 5 starter editors, the data is also public. And before you accuse me of bashing Starter Cat, I'll let you know I helped make it, mike and I never intended it to be a big useful tool, just seeing how much we could fit into a starter editor.

score_under

Inactive; Former ROM hack tool author, ❤️
    Years
  • Not really. Visual C# and Visual Basic are both organized the same way by Microsoft, and BASIC and C aren't all that different... I mean, they're written differently, but they're high level programming languages; fundamentally, every programming language has the same capability, since you can default to binary... :P
    Oh, NO!
    BASIC, Visual Basic and C# are extremely high-level. Even higher than Delphi, and that's saying something. C++ is somewhere in between ASM and Delphi, and C is very low-level.

For example, in C, this code:
    Code:
    MessageBox(NULL,"Read this number: "+(int)x,"Title",0);
    Will take that LITERALLY and compile the string "Read this number: " somewhere, store it, add the value of X to the pointer, deference it and display it.

While in BASIC, this type of thing (albeit with the & sign) will instead copy the string into a just-in-time allocated memory area (let me tell you, these are HELL to code in C.), allocate another memory area, store the decimal-converted-to-ascii integer x in it, allocate more memory for the first string, concatenate strings, free second string, and THEN call the messagebox function.

That is the difference between hi-level and lo-level languages.

That and the way hi-level languages are unbelievably incompatible with Wine and Darwine. (Except delphi. Good choice, LU-HO!)

EDIT because I can:
    I never said Visual Basic or Visual C# were high level programming languages. They're low level, object oriented programming languages;
    You could not be more incorrect if you tried.

if you're programming in C++ or C for any software like the software we're making, you obviously don't know much about programming...
    Have you checked my source code lately? 2200+ lines of fresh, low-level C code!

I said BASIC and C were both high level programming languages.
    High level? Basic: Sure, C: Absolutely no way on this earth, sonny

You're a moron. Get over yourself and learn to use a higher level of sarcasm.
    Oh wow. Sarcasm grew to level 17! Sarcasm learned "Torment"!

it kind of annoyed me to see my comments slandered by retards.
    A direct insult like this is against the forum rules.

I shall not bump this thread, obviously it will just top off the flamewar.

And another edit:
    Just because you can't use W.I.N.E. with a .NET language doesn't mean you can't compile your software to work on all platforms by using multiple compilers. It's not the user's responsibility to translate your software anyway. Honestly, if your reason for telling us to use C++ for simple tools is only backed up by a platform-related argument, you need to be locked up in a padded room.
    1. There are NO linux compilers for .NET. It is a microsoft "technology" and there's only microsoft compilers for it.
    2. No, he doesn't need to be locked in a padded room. That's for people who think Visual C# is low-level and more portable than C...

Last edited:
    Years
  • I never said Visual Basic or Visual C# were high level programming languages. They're low level, object oriented programming languages; however, if you're programming in C++ or C for any software like the software we're making, you obviously don't know much about programming...

I said BASIC and C were both high level programming languages. You're a moron. Get over yourself and learn to use a higher level of sarcasm.

Sorry for the random bump but it kind of annoyed me to see my comments slandered by retards.

Years
    • Seen Aug 11, 2008
    Thats not true at all. Theres tons of good gui librarys for C++ like QT. And tons of good graphic libraries. You can easily make a good program with just plain C++ and cross platform. Please don't claim things you know nothing about.C++ is instant win. Also C is not lower than C++ there the same. C++ accepts all C things, but also its own.

PeacefulCheeta

bardeg.com
    Years
    • Seen Aug 25, 2008
    For everyone's information : this doesn't work on Vista 64-bit :)
    Tool looks easy enough to use though.

Years
  • Thats not true at all. Theres tons of good gui librarys for C++ like QT. And tons of good graphic libraries. You can easily make a good program with just plain C++ and cross platform. Please don't claim things you know nothing about.C++ is instant win. Also C is not lower than C++ there the same. C++ accepts all C things, but also its own.

You're a moron. Learn to read.

I just said that using C++ for software like this isn't smart. I didn't say it was because of the language's capabilities being inferior.

For God's sake. I've been saying this since the topic started. The next person to bring it up gets a negative reputation; do we even use that system here? Oops...

Anyway. I can quote various professional level programmers who have stated using high level programming languages for low level software is more time-consuming and usually leads to a bloated program.

Son Sebbe, it's impossible to reasonably integrate the Rival's starter into a Starter Editor for multiple reasons. First of all, the starter he gets decides on what Pokemon he catches later on. Secondly, technically speaking, you'd actually only be editing battles and minor scripts anyway. The thing is, no, it's not impossible to create a program changing your Rival's starter. But it's illogical to incorporate it into a "Starter Editor", or even to refer to it as such.

Also, on the C++ note; .NET languages are all cross-platform. You just need alternate compilers. That was one of the major reasons for developing .NET... Just because you can't use W.I.N.E. with a .NET language doesn't mean you can't compile your software to work on all platforms by using multiple compilers. It's not the user's responsibility to translate your software anyway. Honestly, if your reason for telling us to use C++ for simple tools is only backed up by a platform-related argument, you need to be locked up in a padded room.

For everyone's information : this doesn't work on Vista 64-bit :)
    Tool looks easy enough to use though.

Nothing works in Vista 64-bit, to be honest, and I should probably post that on the front page, but I assumed everyone knows that already... 64-bit personal computing isn't standard yet, so most software that's not akin to Firefox 3 or something won't work on it...

It can be recompiled for 64-bit quite easily though, and we'll probably be releasing 64-bit and Mac-compatible versions of our software soon.

Last edited:

PeacefulCheeta

bardeg.com
    Years
    • Seen Aug 25, 2008
    Nothing works in Vista 64-bit, to be honest, and I should probably post that on the front page, but I assumed everyone knows that already... 64-bit personal computing isn't standard yet, so most software that's not akin to Firefox 3 or something won't work on it...

It can be recompiled for 64-bit quite easily though, and we'll probably be releasing 64-bit and Mac-compatible versions of our software soon.
    Nothing works in 64-bit Vista? That's ridiculous :)
    So far this is the first program that's not working for me in 64-bit Vista. The only programs that shouldn't work in 64-bit are 16-bit programs.
    Although to be honest, there are indeed way to few programmers working on 64-bit optimization.

Back