• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Android OS!

countryemo

Kicking against the earth!
Years
  • Who here uses Android on their smartphone/tablet?
    Android on my Moto X, Nexus 7 '13, Nexus 10 '12. so yeah, all of them.

Do you have a particular favorite version of Android (Gingerbread, Froyo, ICS, Jellybean)?
    I would go with either 4.2.2/4.3 because thats the final polished version of Jelly Bean and what ICS was gearing towards to. And 4.4 which looks to a bright new feature. Gingerbread was good back in the day too.

Who wins? iOS or Android?
    Neither. They both have pros and cons, if their was a Android x iOS x BB10 x WP x Ubunto Touch + Nokia + WebOS OS, then that would win. :P
    But If I did choose, Android wins in terms of usability and fuctionallity, iOS wins in terms of support.

What apps do you recommend?

Google Keep is my favorite note taker. MX Player is the best video player. SeriesGuide helps keeping track of TV shows. Tweedle for Twitter. LTE On/Off. DashClock.
    Game wise, Dots, Doctor Who Legacy, WindUp Knight, Spirit, Granny Smith

Do you use ROMs on your phone, like CyanogenMod? What version are you using?
    I used too, such as CynanogenMod, Droid 4 HD, few others. But don't need a ROM anymore.

Have you rooted your phone? Would you go back to stock?
    Yes I've rooted my past Droid 3, and Droid 4. Going back to stock didn't change much besides lack of Root ofcourse. Since Motorola Application UI was pretty much stock. Thinking about rooting my Moto X once its gets a easier method.

Do you have any favorite Root apps?
    Titanium Backup, though I never really got the chance to use it much. Lucky Patcher comes in handy. SetCPU was good for my phones when they got old. XPOSED framework is freaking Amazing
    Thinking about Tasker+Autovoice, and AdBlock if that works at all. Didnt bother much with Root stuff, it was just nice to have.

Fight me.

Years
    *raises hand* I have a 2013 Nexus 7 16GB that runs Android 4.4.2 KitKat

Do you have a particular favorite version of Android (Gingerbread, Froyo, ICS, Jellybean)?
    Not really, since I'm still relatively new to Android, so I've really only used 4.3 Jellybean and 4.4 KitKat

Android by far, even though I like iOS in some ways as well

AndChat! Literally the best Android-exclusive app I can think of, and it's free with no ads, even though I'm not sure if anyone else here uses IRC.

Do you use ROMs on your phone tablet, like CyanogenMod? What version are you using?
    No, not currently. But I have rooted my father's old HTC Droid Eris in the past (after he passed it down to me for general device use) to CyanogenMod 7, with somewhat slow results. And I have used ParanoidAndroid in the past as well on my Nexus 7.

Have you rooted your phone tablet? Would you go back to stock?
    See above. But yes, I have reverted to stock on both my father's previous phone and my Nexus 7 tablet, the latter due to warranty issues.

Hmm, not that I can think of.. unless Helium backup counts, but that can run on stock nowadays.

Years
    • Seen Dec 16, 2022
    Who here uses Android on their smartphone/tablet?

I have a Huawei Ascend Y300 (Android 4.1) and a Nexus 7 2012 (Android 4.4).

Do you have a particular favourite version of Android (Gingerbread, Froyo, ICS, Jellybean)?

Android 4.4 obviously, but Gingerbread does have it's charm.

Andorid is they best customization-wise outside of jailbreaking, but iOS 7 looks beautiful (you all probably hate now for saying that) and works very well from what I've seem. Android's customization and reliability does beat out iOS 7 tbh.

ADWLauncher (nice home screen replacement that's v. customisable) and TouchPal (Keyboard replacement with SureType style keyboard options.

Minuteman III

More Boosters!
    Years
    I have a Huawei 867G (ICS) and a Kobo Vox (Gingerbread).
    I haven't tried Jelly Bean yet, but I love ICS. Gingerbread is still good, though.
    Android, because even if Google Play says no to a certain app, I can just sideload it on instead.

For rooted devices, AdAway takes the cake
    No. None of my devices are eligible :|
    Yes, and I would never go back.
    SRS Root was the only one I could use.

Years
  • I like 4.4 as it is, but if anything, I'd like to see the following:

1. A decent default music player that isn't Google Music (Hopefully Samsung could include their proprietary music player, because I really like the widget it has, but not the TouchWiz launcher)
    2. The ability to put any widget on the lockscreen

Wait... you mean versions after 4.0.3 don't have a built-in music player? Or is it just that the player I've had built into my two HTC Android phones (the HTC G2 and the HTC Sensation) was created by HTC?

Flakey Bear

Just watch it.
    Years
    Yup, i have a LG Optimus L9 running 4.0.4 Ice Cream Sandwich.

Nope, i just love them all.

Android because some phones are less pricey than iPhones, however iOS is also good for having great apps.

Buzz Launcher: Very underrated, it has lots of themes to download and has also the option to create your own. Very fun launcher.

Angry Birds: The game that got more smartphone sales.

AirDroid: Very useful application to manage your Android without cable, i use it with my Wi-Fi network.

Minuteman III

More Boosters!
    Years
  • Google devices use Google Music for audio playback. It really sucks in comparison to Samsung's music player. Unfortunately, their music player relies on their proprietary TouchWiz framework. Even if you grabbed the apk from the device and sideloaded it using ADB or flashed it with CWM, it'd crash on launch (And trying to install it like a normal apk would fail anyway). I'm trying to find another decent music player with a good widget because the Samsung one has a resizable widget that shows what is playing, plus controls, and if you make it larger, it shows a list of the songs on your device without having to open the app.

And ngl I kinda miss it.

The ones on your HTC phones was probably made by HTC for HTC devices. Kinda sucks that hardware-exclusive apps actually exist.
    I personally use the AOSP music player. The version I use is from the F-Droid repo, but I found a few on Google Play that are similar. Then again, I don't use widgets for my music app.

countryemo

Kicking against the earth!
    Years
  • But Play Music is so pretty ;-;, I don't expect much from music players, just select and play. Though theres also poweramp and others which have weird looks in my opnion. If you were talking about the old play music I would understand, that was a mess. And the play music widget does all that, minus the list part.

I'm hoping they change the settings screen to their white approach, unify more of their apps, get rid of the blue completly (Though I like it, its out of place where it is.) This concept is pretty nice. I think the next should a clean up and add. So
    So many people wanted a big change like Gingerbread to ICS with 4.4, but I think Android is doing pretty good, it dosent need a BIG change.
    I would also like to see a file explorer app, not the one from quick office.

Near~

The End is Near...
    Years
    I have 3 Androids XD I love them<3 (Motox, Nexus5,Htc One)
    They all run Kitkat :D

Android FTW! Im a hardcore fan I love how you can stick with one android for more years then IOS Apple basically makes you buy a new phone every year and jailbreak is harder and harder to accompmlish for devs

Too many to post here :o

AOKP :D

All are Rooted and would never go back to stock theres simply no reason :p

#1 Fav App....
    Freedom No doubt its the best Rooted app
    #2 Greenify ~ Best to improve performance

Elements1

Meh
    Years
    I have the infamous Samsung Galaxy Player, a Samsung version of the Ipod Touch.
    Originally my Galaxy Player came with Gingerbread and I used that until I found out about ROMs xD. After I figured out how to use ROMs I fell in love with Jellybean 4.3 (Nexus style). It's sleek design and configurable options I love!
    Android all the way! Apple's iOS is more expensive per specs value, and the restriction that iOS has is awful compared to Android.
    Meh, whatever's out there :P ES file explorer is a great one I use for file moving, organisation.
    Yup!! CyanogenMod unofficial 10.2 (Jellybean 4.3). Gingerbread 2.3
    NO! After the first time I used a ROM I found it glitchy (I accidently got a beta version) and I went back to stock. The change is incredible!! After I went back to stock my Galaxy was slower, less options and less apps available.
    ES File explorer also has feature that only work with rooted phones. Again I would recommend this app.

Back