• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Android!

Years
    I don't think we've had one of these in a while, so here's a thread to get going with Android!

Do y'all own any Android devices? What do you guys like about Android? Have you ever rooted an Android device before? What's your favorite custom ROM of Android? Do y'all have any favorite Android apps?

Just some general questions to get discussion going.

Corvus of the Black Night

Wild Duck Pokémon
    Years
    I have a droid mini.

Actually, speaking of android, at my company we all took android development class, but, while the class we learned a lot, it wasn't very good for the android dev exam. We all pretty much flunked it. And we had to take it 4 months after. Quite annoyed with that. Wish I had a better start because that felt really unfair. Oh well, the company isn't mad at us for it, they realize that it wasn't good enough and didn't prepare us properly.

Starry Windy

Everything will be Daijoubu.
    Years
    Even though I was skeptical at Android in the first place, I started to change my opinions after using Samsung Galaxy Pro, which has Froyo (Android 2.2) in it. Too bad that my phone is not compatible with custom roms though, but I enjoy playing videos when using MX Player.

Years
    Since we're talking android and roms, has anyone even tried PACMAN Rom before? I just got updated to the latest version of Carbon and I like it, but I was thinking about trying out some other ones just to see if they'd tickle my fancy.

countryemo

Kicking against the earth!
    Years
    Yes I've owned a Droid 3, 4, and currently a Moto X, Nexus 7 '13, and Nexus 10. I've rooted my Droid 3, and 4, kinda tried with my X but theres not really a good permentant way with the Bootloader locked. Don't really have a favorite rom, I guess CM or PA, PA comes up with some cool stuff. I prefer the Xposed way though.

As for apps, maybe another post, too tired to think anymore.

Years
    Yes I've owned a Droid 3, 4, and currently a Moto X, Nexus 7 '13, and Nexus 10. I've rooted my Droid 3, and 4, kinda tried with my X but theres not really a good permentant way with the Bootloader locked. Don't really have a favorite rom, I guess CM or PA, PA comes up with some cool stuff. I prefer the Xposed way though.

As for apps, maybe another post, too tired to think anymore.

Dude, you know Motorola has the unlocker for the Moto X right? It's like right in their support section. That's how I did it for the Moto G anyway.

EDIT: More specifically, check here. I saw the Moto X in the list so you should be good.

https://motorola-global-portal.custhelp.com/app/standalone/bootloader/unlock-your-device-a

Last edited:

Mark Kamill

I like kitties
    Years
    • Age 31
    • Seen Jun 13, 2023
    Its pretty dope. I like how you can load a custom launcher(like Nova) without a custom rom or anything. Sure, it eats up battery and memory power, but its a nice alternative to those of use who cannot. And it allows awful customizations to never rear their ugly heads again.(those awful corner bubbles on the old Xperia's, no wonder SE tanked)

Oryx

CoquettishCat
    Years
    • Age 31
    • Seen Jan 30, 2015
    I have a droid mini.

Actually, speaking of android, at my company we all took android development class, but, while the class we learned a lot, it wasn't very good for the android dev exam. We all pretty much flunked it. And we had to take it 4 months after. Quite annoyed with that. Wish I had a better start because that felt really unfair. Oh well, the company isn't mad at us for it, they realize that it wasn't good enough and didn't prepare us properly.

What is "the android dev exam"? No one has ever asked me about that and I develop Android apps for a living. I'm curious.

Altius

Flygon Fan
    Years
    I am actually very tempted to install cyanogenmod on my old Galaxy S2. That thing is not really tolerable after being forced-updated to 4.1 because the phone lags really badly.

Years
    • Seen Dec 16, 2022
    I've been using android devices for a few years, and in terms of sheer flexibility, Android is unmatched.

I'm currently using a HTC Desire 610 with Android 4.4.2 Stock ROM with sense 6 and a Google Nexus 7 (2012) with Carbon ROM Android 4.4.2.

Years
    if you use it while charging, it actually uses more power than it can replenish and can still die. It's rather annoying.

Android!

Appropriate reaction to this.

I'm sorry, but what?

How is that even a thing?

countryemo

Kicking against the earth!
    Years
    Dude, you know Motorola has the unlocker for the Moto X right? It's like right in their support section. That's how I did it for the Moto G anyway.

EDIT: More specifically, check here. I saw the Moto X in the list so you should be good.

https://motorola-global-portal.custhelp.com/app/standalone/bootloader/unlock-your-device-a

Considering they flew me out part of the superfan experience, I think I know that. Haha. Yes but that is only for Dev editions, I'm pretty sure. I kinda want to keep my warranty though (only on dev editions), but as soon as Sunshine breaks through 4.4.4, it defiantly interest me for only $25.

Years
    Considering they flew me out part of the superfan experience, I think I know that. Haha. Yes but that is only for Dev editions, I'm pretty sure. I kinda want to keep my warranty though (only on dev editions), but as soon as Sunshine breaks through 4.4.4, it defiantly interest me for only $25.

Huh. You'd think they'd have a devless version...not that it matters since you want the warranty lol. Sorry bout that.

Years
    • Seen Nov 14, 2023
    #TeamAndroid

I had a random LG android for about 2 years but recently got the Galaxy S4 for my birthday. I love androids because they serve as a small distraction when I'm waiting in line for something. The interface on androids just feels better to me than any of Apple's products.

Mark Kamill

I like kitties
    Years
    • Age 31
    • Seen Jun 13, 2023
    I really can't wait to use Android L, or whatever the final release name will be. Just need the phone to handle it.

Years
    Android L does look pretty slick. Hopefully sooner or later it will come out of beta for all of us to enjoy :P

Back