• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Android's "Ice Cream Sandwich" Update

Meganium

[i]memento mori[/i]
Years
  • So, in a little while ago, Google and Samsung officially announced the new Android update 4.0 nicknamed "Ice Cream Sandwich". Honestly, for the whole hour, I've been fangirling on all the new features it will contain. :D

Some of the features I'm liking so far:
    ~Face Unlock: The phone will unlock when it recognizes your face.
    ~New Unlock Screen: it's virtually awesome~
    ~Data Usage section: This is by far my favorite part, and I think I'm gonna get a lot of use for this. I have 200 mb every month on my phone, and this will tell me how much youtube or Twitter I've been using. It's perfect!

Here's the Engadget article that has all the other features announced

Sadly I won't be getting this update anytime soon...since I'm still on 2.2.1. I'll probably get it by what... next year. xD

So... discuss. :D

Zet

Years
  • I have to say that the Data Usage Section is one of my fav parts about the update since you won't be able to get screwed over by being billed for using more than your limit.

MMSCBF

Beginning Something-er
    Years
  • I haven't been able to see Honeycomb or Gingerbread in action, but it looks like they've made a lot of improvements.
    I'm stuck with my rooted Froyo and afraid to have it bricked when I upgrade the software after unrooting it.

From the new features, I think they could have done something earlier with the data consumption earlier than now. Before 4.0 you know we had to either be careful with how much we're using or find an App on the Market that could either be not as accurate or take up a lot of space in your phone, or both. But I like how it raises to the tip in one interval without having to scroll past some days.
    The Apps look more organised than I've seen. The bottom tray holds more than the iOS.
    Camera has neat improvements as well.
    4.0 seems to have a theme of like black and futuristic-like with some gradients. Something I favour for. :3
    I'm digging the Roboto Font. :D
    Screen-capture is possible without rooting. c:

So many new features, it makes me want it so much. :3
    And the phones look like they would be a lot taller when they come out, looking at the screenshots.
    Maybe next year they'll release a phone closely comparable with the EVO 4G from last year.

Years
  • This looks so good I'm considering dropping my old phone and buying a new one just so I can have 4.0 :3

engadget said:
    Don't like some of those preloaded carrier apps? Disable 'em. Android Engineer Dan Morrill mentions that, among other new features, any app can be disabled, and while it will still take up space in ROM, it won't be snatching any of your precious resources or clock cycles again if you don't want it to.
    THISTHISTHISTHIS!
    I never use default apps on my phone, I've always root uninstalled them somehow and messed up my phone xD

Years
    • Seen Dec 16, 2022
    This obviously will not get a official update to my phone, so I'll install a ICS custom rom.

Then again, I'm waiting for the MWC event next year before I get a ICS phone. Overall, ICS is shaping up nicely.

countryemo

Kicking against the earth!
    Years
  • I kinda dont like the Dialer though, bit too simple for my liking, but I'm glad Android is polishing up.
    I also dont really like the G. Search bar not being a widget, and hopefully be able to get rid of that, Ill get my update around 6 weeks? after the release. (Motorola. :D)

Overall I really like it, and cant wait. Sadly no more long press :( but they added alternatives, swipes.

RUMOR:
    Jelly been: No more on screen buttons, swipe your finger in a /\ movement to return home.
    Fake, created by me. :P

Back