• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Angel Beats! Fan Club

Uecil

[img]https://i.ibb.co/4jfYrCT/tHdpHUB.png[/img]
    Years
    Yeah, he will hypnotize many people XD Yeah, TK is so cool.

That would be a pretty good gag, if that happened.

E.g.

Hinata: "Your not OUR God!"

Naoi: "Oh, Riley?" *hypnotizes Hinata*

and something with TK in would be pretty epic.

zZJoennZz

What da!?
    Years
    TK: Oh yeah!
    Hinata: Wha?
    TK: Dance to the parteh!
    Hinata: *dances because hypnotize by Naoi*

That conversation kinda sucks and confusing even me! XD anyway and lol's, your not our God! :)

Uecil

Years
    TK: Oh yeah!
    Hinata: Wha?
    TK: Dance to the parteh!
    Hinata: *dances because hypnotize by Naoi*

That conversation kinda sucks and confusing even me! XD anyway and lol's, your not our God! :)

Haha, TK could also teach them to dance too :P

We need a subject, I think.

Uecil

Years
    Bad and Good.

Reasons why I think this could be good:
    1) People who do not like reading the subtitles on the anime can just watch the dubbed version.

2) They might have decent voice actors that suite the character.

Reasons why I think this could be bad:
    1) the dubbed version can turn out to be lousy, but hey, this is Angel Beats! so it can't be lousy. (I'm only really talking about the voices for the characters they're choosing to pick).

2) They tend to cut out things and change the dialogue/script.
    They might even cut out all of the parts where Yui swears?!

Over all, I might not watch the dubbed version at all, but is Sentai Filmworks really that bad?

I just hope that they've chosen a good voice actor for Naoi Ayato..

Jack O'Neill

Banned
    Years
    • Age 34
    • Seen Jul 15, 2015
    What is the problem with Sentai?
    I was hoping that Bandai Entertainment would license it instead and hire Californian VAs to do the dubbing. There goes my dream of having Yuri be voiced by Wendee Lee, I suppose. (If Yuri's supposedly a Haruhi clone, why not capitalize on that and have her be voiced by Haruhi's English voice actress for the dub? Too bad Sentai Filmworks won't hire actors from outside of Texas.)

Bad and Good.

Reasons why I think this could be good:
    1) People who do not like reading the subtitles on the anime can just watch the dubbed version.

2) They might have decent voice actors that suite the character.

Reasons why I think this could be bad:
    1) the dubbed version can turn out to be lousy, but hey, this is Angel Beats! so it can't be lousy. (I'm only really talking about the voices for the characters they're choosing to pick).

2) They tend to cut out things and change the dialogue/script.
    They might even cut out all of the parts where Yui swears?!

Over all, I might not watch the dubbed version at all, but is Sentai Filmworks really that bad?

I just hope that they've chosen a good voice actor for Naoi Ayato..
    Despite what you may think, Sentai Filmworks (and most other North American licensing companies, for that matter) is not 4Kids. Nothing will be cut out, and I trust that the translation will be reasonably faithful (and for things that can't be directly translated, that's what Woolseyisms are for).

Sentai Filmworks isn't a bad company. I'm just a bit disappointed that Angel Beats! had to go to them instead of, say, Bandai Entertainment. My previous statement about how Yuri should have been played by Wendee Lee is evidence enough of my biases; I just prefer Californian actors over Texan ones.

In any case, Sentai Filmworks will be debuting the English dub next month at Anime Boston, so there's still tons of room for cast speculation. Your guesses are as good as mine, but these are the first people who come to mind for me:

Spoiler:

The further down the list you go, the more uneducated the guesses become. The guesses I made for Yuri, Otonashi, Tenshi, and Hinata were reasonable enough, but by the time I got to thinking about who'd play the members of Girls Dead Monster, I was essentially picking names at random out of a hat. My ideal dub cast would have looked more like the ones for, say, Code Geass, Durarara!!, or The Melancholy of Haruhi Suzumiya, but whatever. What's done is done.

Jack O'Neill

Banned
    Years
    • Age 34
    • Seen Jul 15, 2015
    More news on the Angel Beats! English dub front:

The North American anime distributor Sentai Filmworks has confirmed with ANN that the company's English-language dub for the Angel Beats! anime will retain the original Japanese-language music, rather than replacing it with English songs.

Sentai announced both its acquisition of the series and its plans to dub the anime into English last week. The series is particularly well-known for its music, which performed strongly on Japan's sales charts.
    Then what's the point of dubbing it into English? Might as well just make it a sub-only release.

Taemin

move.
    Years
    • he / they
    • USA
    • Seen Apr 2, 2024
    Because an Angel Beats dub would be awesome..?

If it's done correctly, but I have faith..

Jack O'Neill

Banned
    Years
    • Age 34
    • Seen Jul 15, 2015
    Because an Angel Beats dub would be awesome..?

If it's done correctly, but I have faith..
    I have very little faith in Sentai Filmworks. If Angel Beats! absolutely had to go to a Texan company, it should have been Funimation. At the very least, Funimation would actually go the extra mile and dub the songs; for instance, they dubbed the insert songs for Negima!?, which wasn't that good of an anime to warrant such a courtesy, but that's neither here nor there.

Of course, I would have preferred that Angel Beats! had gone to Bandai Entertainment, but whatever. Even then, I don't have as much faith in Bandai as I used to have; if they wouldn't bother dubbing the music for K-On! (which kinda defeats the point of hiring Cristina Valenzuela as Mio Akiyama, but that's also neither here nor there), why would they bother dubbing the music for Angel Beats!?

Taemin

move.
    Years
    • he / they
    • USA
    • Seen Apr 2, 2024
    I'm disappointed that Sentai got it as well, as I was hoping Funimation or BangZoom would get it, but I'm not completely sold on the idea that it'll turn out to be an awful dub. If it is, that sucks, and I just won't watch it. xD;

I would've been iffy on any company dubbing the songs, because it would be hard to be on par with the original, and even harder to surpass the original. Which they should attempt, or just not do it at all. I'm a bit glad the music is staying in Japanese. Full Moon wo Sagashite did the same thing, and the change was almost unnoticeable, because they got the English voice actress to sound so close to the Japanese. Me thinks the Angel Beats dub could turn out the same.

Jack O'Neill

Banned
    Years
    • Age 34
    • Seen Jul 15, 2015
    I would've been iffy on any company dubbing the songs, because it would be hard to be on par with the original, and even harder to surpass the original. Which they should attempt, or just not do it at all. I'm a bit glad the music is staying in Japanese. Full Moon wo Sagashite did the same thing, and the change was almost unnoticeable, because they got the English voice actress to sound so close to the Japanese. Me thinks the Angel Beats dub could turn out the same.
    Bandai and Bang Zoom! managed to pull it off with the English dub of The Melancholy of Haruhi Suzumiya; Wendee Lee's versions of "God Knows" and "Lost My Music" were at least just as good as Aya Hirano's. Cristina Valenzuela could easily pull off a rendition of "Don't Say 'Lazy'" or "No, Thank You!" that's equal to Yoko Hikasa's original, which makes Bandai's refusal to dub the songs for K-On! in English all the more perplexing, but I'm really starting to wander off-topic here.

If you listened to the Negima!? dub song clips, you can easily tell that Funimation (and by extension Sentai Filmworks, seeing as both companies largely hire from the same pool of actors) can call on quite a bunch of decent singers. Why not put them to full use and have them dub some of the songs in Girls Dead Monster's repertoire?

Taemin

move.
    Years
    • he / they
    • USA
    • Seen Apr 2, 2024
    THIS. WILL NOT. DIE. akdjas

But yeah, the music is something that I HOPE they dub, but if they don't it's not really gonna ruin it.

Though, plenty of VA's can sing really well, so it would be a shame to not utilize that talent.

Binary

え?
    Years
    • Seen Apr 7, 2014
    I don't think I would like the GirlDeMo songs being dubbed, honestly. But it would be interesting to see how they go about that. It would be interesting to hear. I just hope that if the GirlDeMo songs are dubbed, they're not ruined.. and can make an impression.

Back