• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Animals that aren't Pokemon yet...

PlatinumDude

Nyeh?
Years
  • Ok,
    So how about:
    Kakapo
    Shoebill
    Chupacabra
    P.S., Raikou, Entei, and Suicune are dogs.

Not exactly. Raikou is clearly based on a saber-toothed cat. Entei and Suicune have both canine and feline characteristics, so it's hard to tell if they're one thing or another.

But still, I like those above things that Pokemon should be based on, particularly the chupacabra. I think it could be a legendary, since chupacabras are mythical creatures.

And speaking of mythical creatures, maybe a griffin? It would be interesting as to how GameFreak will make a Pokemon based on one; it could be another pure Flying Pokemon or have another type to accompany Flying.

Oryx

CoquettishCat
    Years
    • Age 31
    • Seen Jan 30, 2015
    Somehow, but Raikou is a legendary DOG.
    How about:
    Stegosaurus
    Turkey
    Sponge
    Island Silverside
    Lemming
    Arctic Hare

Actually, those 3 are known as the Legendary Beasts. While "dog" is a common fan-term for them, it's obvious that they're based on cats mostly (Entei = lion, Raikou = Saber Tooth, etc).

I think a sponge would make an interesting Pokemon if it was in a diving area! Something like the Pokemon that you could only get by shaking trees, like you have to harvest it off the ground and then battle it or something. :3

Years
  • What about a narwhal? I haven't seen any narwhals.
    I agree with the dinosaur notion. They may not be alive anymore, but there's 'God' pokemon that created everything, so why not dinos? Plus, there are Candle, Lantern, and Chandelier pokemon ... which I think aren't very alive either xD

What Digimon Kaiser said xD

Last edited:

Ho-Oh

used Sacred Fire!
    Years
    • Seen Jul 1, 2023
    I want a Dolphin. :( As a generation 6 starter most preferably. But whichever works. That's about the only animal that isn't really covered, but maybe go into specific bird types? :3 If so, Alexandrine parrot and Weiros.

Years
    • Seen Jan 2, 2013
    There's not a cockerel. There are birds aplenty yes, but it occurred to me the other day whilst making a little Pokémon themed movie and I needed one to crow and wake everyone up (this was pre-generation V).
    I ended up making a Miltank moo, but it didn't have the desired effect :-/

Ho-oh is NOT a turkey! It's based on the Eastern styled Phoenix (whearas Moltres is based on a westernized version, or a firebird rather). The magnificent tail is reminiscent, though, of a peacock, which are famed and regarded with adoration in Eastern culture.
    The 'Feng-Huang' is the Chinese version of a Phoenix, and the Japanese version is actually called the Ho-Oh, and is the Rainbow bird. I guess they thought no one would realise... ;)

Last edited:
    Years
    • Seen Jul 3, 2012
    There is nothing quite similar to a Gila monster - a big slothful, poisonous reptile. Arbok doesn't count – he is a snake. What do you think?

Lake Rodary

Novice Researcher
    Years
    • Seen Aug 6, 2012

I'm pretty sure Heracross is based on a Beetle. However, I haven't seen a Badger or Hedgehog like Pokemon yet.

Shaymin was a hedgehog, at least in land form. It was more of a terrier in sky form.

Ok, guys, I got this.

-Praying Mantis= Syther
    -Hedgehog= Shaymin (land form)
    -Mamoswine is a mammoth
    -wolf= Mightyena and Poochyena
    -Zorua and Zoroark are non-ninetailed foxes
    -I believe cyndaquil is a hedgehogish or echnida pokemon as well, but Quilava and typhlosian are based on badgers I believe.
    -not sure if this was mentioned, but espeon is a bakeneko
    -lion= shinx evo line
    -loch ness= Lapras
    Did I miss anything?

Last edited:

psycodragon

Digimon Can Eat It
    Years
    • Age 23
    • Seen Nov 15, 2012
    Hey Lake! Okay back to subject. They should have Pokemon based on microscopic animals like amoebas. They could have poison types.

Years
    • Age 40
    • Seen Jun 4, 2014
    i think there should be some more variants of what we already have because alot of things keep being brought up that they are already made, but if they made some different birds and things like that i think it might help, and also if they didnt give them all the same stupid normal and flying combo.

which brings me to another point of having more typing combos, like if they made a new bird and given a new typing it would be pretty awesome in the begining like ground and flying or something like that (i know there is gligar already)

This is more or less what I wanted to say; there are Pokemon based on animals I like, but I don't like their aesthetics/looks/style. Like for instance, some of my favorite animals are Canine, non-domesticated Feline, and serpents, yet aside from a few Pokemon that represent those kinds of animals (which seem to only be Arcanine and Entei), I don't really like the rest of the designs (or in some cases, I may like the Pokemon, but I don't think it's a proper reference to an animal, like how I do like Zoroark and Nintetails, but I think they could do other designs based on fox Pokemon), and when it comes down to Serpentine animals, I much prefer the western Diamondback Rattlesnakes over the eastern King Cobra, and there's nothing remotely close to a Diamondback Rattlesnake, or a Rattlesnake for that matter.

Lt. Col. Fantastic

The Arianator
    Years
  • Zigzagoon is a raccoon, hence the name . . . And Zoroark is a wolf.

Nooooo! Zoroark is a fox. Zoro means fox in...Spanish I think. (Either fremch or spanish, I took those in school and remember that word)

Also, we need a pokemon based off of dragon's bones (Or dinosaur) Could be Dragon/Ghost type.

Also, we could use a tiger...I don't think we have one yet...

Houndoomed

Battle Master
    Years
  • Nooooo! Zoroark is a fox. Zoro means fox in...Spanish I think. (Either fremch or spanish, I took those in school and remember that word)

Also, we need a pokemon based off of dragon's bones (Or dinosaur) Could be Dragon/Ghost type.

Also, we could use a tiger...I don't think we have one yet...

Raikou is a Tiger

i dont think there was a kangaroo yet. :)

Kanga-skhan

We need a Lion, A real king of jungle normal type uber smasher

Years
  • What about a...

Angler fish
    Cuttlefish
    Cardinal
    Blue Jay
    Trapdoor spider
    Burrowing Owl (ground flying perhaps?)
    Siamese Cat
    Black Widow
    Fruit Bat
    Moose (Stantler is a reindeer, right?)
    Manticore
    Barnacle

I don't know if these have been mentioned already, if so, sorry.
    @Houndoomed Luxray is a lion (although I originally thought it was a wolf :/)

Houndoomed

Battle Master
    Years
  • What about a...

Angler fish
    Cuttlefish
    Cardinal
    Blue Jay
    Trapdoor spider
    Burrowing Owl (ground flying perhaps?)
    Siamese Cat
    Black Widow
    Fruit Bat
    Moose (Stantler is a reindeer, right?)
    Manticore
    Barnacle

I don't know if these have been mentioned already, if so, sorry.
    @Houndoomed Luxray is a lion (although I originally thought it was a wolf :/)

I said I want a real lion, that things a leopard or bobcat at best

Back