• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Animals that the Pokémon have never been based on?

Years
    • Seen Jun 17, 2021
    While Pokémon are based on most animals upon the Pokémon generations' initial releases, there are some kinds of animals that the Pokémon have never been based on, like an aardvark, a moose, a dolphin, etc. So, are there any kinds of animals that the Pokémon have never been based on? If you'd like to know, check out these links here: 1 & 2

Sopheria

響け〜 響け!
    Years
    The first example that pops into my head is a sea sponge. I know because I've been wanting to form a Spongebob team with a Starmie, Octillery, Pachirisu, and Crawdaunt. But sadly no sea sponge Pokemon yet :( A plankton Pokemon would be nice too.

Years
    • Seen Oct 22, 2023
    I'd really like to see one based off saber-toothed tiger. Could imagine this Pokémon being dark-type, because of how intimidating it would possibly look. A dolphin Pokémon would be pretty nice, too. I guess Lanturn is already a dolphin, sort of, but it definitely wouldn't hurt to have another, would it? n_n"

Elements1

Meh
    Years
    How about a Gila monster ^^ Lizards are my favorite animals and the only lizard pokemon seems to have is Kecleon.

Years
    O: A dolphin Pokemon would be cute! Except like Peitharchia (I'd be really surprised if I could have spelled your name on my own, but I can't OTL) mentioned, Lanturn somewhat fills that description. I guess the bear category has been filled as well, but I'd want something that closely resembles a panda :3

Timbjerr

[color=Indigo][i][b]T-o-X-i-C[/b][/i][/color]
    Years
    I don't think we've had an actual wolf pokémon yet. Mightyena comes close, but sources say it's based off a hyena. :P

I'd really like to see one based off saber-toothed tiger.

Spoiler:

Years
    I guess the bear category has been filled as well, but I'd want something that closely resembles a panda :3
    Hmm, that's pretty much what Pancham and Pangoro are, no?

As for some I'd like to see, the first thing that came to mind is a narwhal. In fact, there are lots of sea creatures that haven't been done yet, like salmon, clownfish, sea cucumbers, dolphins (I've always seen Lanturn as an anglerfish, not a dolphin), etc. I'd also like to see a lemur and koala Pokemon too, and I could even see one of them as the base for a future Grass type starter.

Shhmew

Years
    I guess the bear category has been filled as well, but I'd want something that closely resembles a panda :3
    Well I suppose Pancham/Pangoro fits that (spinda cries in the corner) but I'm not a fan of Pancham; I always wanted a clearly panda pokemon but this line is just kind of unappealing to me. Pandas are supposed to be friendly (or at least, docile for the most part), not evil/tricksters :C So I'd be very happy if they made more panda pokemon.

But honestly, I can't think of any animals they missed that I'm sour about. They've done a good job of including plenty of things from the animal world.

PumpJack

Gentleman Thug
    Years
    Well I suppose Pancham/Pangoro fits that (spinda cries in the corner) but I'm not a fan of Pancham; I always wanted a clearly panda pokemon but this line is just kind of unappealing to me. Pandas are supposed to be friendly (or at least, docile for the most part), not evil/tricksters :C So I'd be very happy if they made more panda pokemon.

But honestly, I can't think of any animals they missed that I'm sour about. They've done a good job of including plenty of things from the animal world.

That's a common misconception of pandas. They made them Fighting/Dark for a reason- they can be mighty nasty and ferocious.

Regard them as any bear- one of the most cuddly things that can rip your head off.

TheFattestSnorlax

New year, new possibilities
    Years
    My example would probably be the platypus. A strange creature is one of the many reasons why origins of Pokémon are there. I mean, with a mammal that lays eggs, with beaver and duck like features? A platypus deserves a go, and I want to see how one turns out.

Years
    • they/them
    • Seen Apr 19, 2024
    My example would probably be the platypus. A strange creature is one of the many reasons why origins of Pokémon are there. I mean, with a mammal that lays eggs, with beaver and duck like features? A platypus deserves a go, and I want to see how one turns out.

Well that's pretty much Psyduck and Golduck, no? They aren't really birds, they look more like platypus.

Shhmew

Years
    That's a common misconception of pandas. They made them Fighting/Dark for a reason- they can be mighty nasty and ferocious.

Regard them as any bear- one of the most cuddly things that can rip your head off.
    They can be vicious just like any wild animal, but I thought they were docile and lazy by nature unless provoked, at least more so than most wild animals/bears. I could be wrong. Still, I'd like to see a more friendly and cute panda :3 (but I'm just a sucker for cute things.)

And yes, I believe Psyduck and Golduck are supposed to be like platypus :D

Puddle

Mission Complete✔
    Years
    I'd like to see a Pokemon based off of a Phoenix. Well, nevermind. I guess that's sort of Ho-Oh. Actually, I want some bulky, strong looking fire type freaking Rooster. Like from the Cartoons in Pokemon form. That'd be pretty legit.

Years
    • they/them
    • Seen Apr 19, 2024
    A centaur, a satyr and a gryphon, yeah! I'd like to see those. Maybe in a region inspired by the Mediterranean countries 8)

Talon Flare

Learning to break kayfabe
    Years
    A sea urchin can be a great Evolution of Qwilfish, or his mega evolution
    Others are a , dolphin, sea sponge, dragonfly, mosquito, and any mythological creature like a minotaur

Back