• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Animals there aren't Pokémon of

Nidorina of Time Lord

Waiting for the Sun to come...
Years
  • What real world animals don't yet have a Pokémon counterpart?
    My list: (correct me if some of these do exist. I did try to remember 'em all however)

Warthog
    Peacock
    Dolphin
    Meerkat
    Hummingbird
    Porcupine
    Koala

Years
    • Seen Jul 4, 2015
    You want to start with the one million bugs or all the worms?
    I also miss the real-life counterpart of real-life size insects.

Years
    • they/them
    • Seen Apr 19, 2024
    Maybe they are saving a koala pokémon for a suitable region? Hummingbird I've been wanting since forever! Grass/Flying, most likely. Or possibly Grass/Fairy? As for the other suggestions here though...

Animals there aren't  Pokémon  of

"Ho-Oh is an avian Pokémon resembling a phoenix and a peacock."

Pignite and other pigs are warthog-like enough imo.

Lanturn is the dolphin, actually. But I agree we could have one more!

This is totally a meerkat.

How is this not a porcupine 8)

But we already have plenty of bird and fish and pig and monkey and whatnot pokémon, so a few more of the same "species" won't hurt really. As long as types and quirks are different.

Nidorina of Time Lord

Waiting for the Sun to come...
    Years
  • Maybe they are saving a koala pokémon for a suitable region? Hummingbird I've been wanting since forever! Grass/Flying, most likely. Or possibly Grass/Fairy? As for the other suggestions here though...

"Ho-Oh is an avian Pokémon resembling a phoenix and a peacock."

Pignite and other pigs are warthog-like enough imo.

Lanturn is the dolphin, actually. But I agree we could have one more!

This is totally a meerkat.

How is this not a porcupine 8)

But we already have plenty of bird and fish and pig and monkey and whatnot pokémon, so a few more of the same "species" won't hurt really. As long as types and quirks are different.

Cool! I totally forgot about some of those, haha. 🎭

Simon Science

Scientist
    Years
    • Seen Dec 10, 2015
    Okay, lanturn is CLEARLY not a dolphin. Dolphins have tail fins that are horisontal, not vertical, like lanturn. Lanturn is a fish while dolphins are mammals. What lanturn is really based on is the anglerfish

Comparison:
    Lanturn

Anglerfish:

... Okay its not immidiatley obviaus but to quote wikipedia:
    "Anglerfishes are fish that are members of the teleost order Lophiiformes. They are bony fish named for their characteristic mode of predation, in which a fleshy growth from the fish's head (the esca or illicium) acts as a lure."

And Bulbapedia:
    "It is based on an anglerfish, more specifically the footballfish..."

Keldeo can be considered as a donkey(another one wouldent hurt tho).

Species that dont have pokemon:Hey! what about all the plants? Lychen, Dandelions, this thing:
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Drosera
    Back to animals:Blue jays, Peregrine Falcon, Woodpecker, Moose(Swasbuck is CLEARLY a deer), leopard, wolverine(not the superhero, the animal) and last but not least a electric eel. Whats that? Eelectross? That is a Lamprey.

Last edited:

icycatelf

Alex
    Years
  • Keldeo can be considered as a donkey(another one wouldent hurt tho).

Y'know, I never really thought of Keldeo as a donkey. Cannot unsee.

Dandelions

EDIT: To add to the list of animals not made into Pokémon...

Star-nosed mole (my cousin hates those lol), pink fairy armadillo, snow leopard (I'd honestly love to see one of these), red panda (I don't count Spinda), blue sea dragon slug, naked mole rat, angora rabbit, spider crab, toucan, aye-aye, blob fish, walking stick, house centipede, silverfish, cockroach, dung beetle, fly (house fly, horse fly, etc.), katydid, robber fly, garden/corn spider...

It also surprises me that we don't have a two-headed snake Pokémon yet. I'm pretty sure that's more common than two-headed birds...

Last edited:

Khoshi

[b]とてもかわいい![/b]
    Years
  • Why isn't there a cockroach Pokemon? I mean yeah, I absolutely hate cockroaches in real life but this is the Pokemon world - it would be either cool or adorable. I even came up with a fan Pokemon resembling one...SHOCKOROACH!

...yeah it's a poor name.

Ice1

[img]http://www.serebii.net/pokedex-xy/icon/712.pn
    Years
    • Seen Nov 23, 2023
    I'd like a guinea pig and hamster pokemon. I adore those little guys, and I would totally catch one of those. I know we have some owl pokemon, but I would love to have an ice type based on an owl. A Narwhal pokemon would be hilarious, I'd like to see one of those.

Years
  • It's getting hard for me to think of what animals I'd like to see, since they seem to eventually make them into pokemon, but a few that I still wouldn't mind seeing:

- A genet of some kind. I get the feeling something like that would end up as a "rodent" for a region, though.
    - For something a little more extinct, maybe a thylacoleo. I could definitely see that as a fossil pokemon.
    - more kinds of dinosaurs.
    - I too would love to see a narwhal!
    - Also give komodo dragon please. poison/dragon go. :)
    - MORE PARROTS. There's Chatot but it's only one kind of parrot. I could imagine macaws, cockatoos, I know I would absolutely die from happiness if they happened to make one based off the kakapo ....
    - the cassowary! make it a fighting type. :>

So yeah, those are some of my picks.

Mister Coffee

Blathering Fool
    Years
    • Seen Nov 7, 2020
    So I know it's supposed to bear more of a resemblance to an Eel, but... "Gorebyss" is definitely the most Dolphin like pokemon I've ever seen and I always thought of it more like a Dolphin than an Eel.

I think a peacock pokemon would be seriously awesome, and it would be a great pokemon to play around with gender differences as well as it could be a pokemon used with multiple patterns or color schemes.

There are actually a whole bunch of animals that I would love to see as pokemon. One animal in particular that I have always wanted to see turned into a pokemon ever since I found out about it, is the "Mantis Shrimp". The "Mantis Shrimp" is such an amazing creature for so many different reasons, it has eyes that are naturally designed to see in a huge variety of light spectrum that most of the animal kingdom is completely incapable of seeing, they have the ability to move their "spears" and/or "clubs" so fast that they can break the sound barrier underwater (In fact scientists have found that the shock wave created under water from these shrimp's attacks can often stun and paralyze fish even of their limbs never make contact with the fish! I'm serious, this animal is so pokemon like it's scary!), and they are fantastically beautiful animals their tails and most of their body is an incredible range of vibrant colors and have been often seen as rainbow colored (these shrimp have also been seen with strange patterns of color that seem to repeat in weird ways, it is believed that these colors are not in fact repeating at all but are actually a color in a spectrum that our human eyes can not understand but is clearly visible only between this species of shrimp. The Mantis Shrimp is definitely a seriously amazing crustacean and very much deserves to have a pokemon based off of it. The shrimp itself is practically an animal kingdom mystery.

More info on the "Mantis Shrimp": https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mantis_shrimp

Pinkie-Dawn

Vampire Waifu
    Years
  • Animals who haven't been given the Pokemon treatment are: tigers, dolphins, cockroaches, narwhals, dromeaosaurs, stegosaurs, grasshoppers, koalas, flamingos, hornbills, flies, mosquitoes, fleas, armadillos, wolves, toucans, chimpanzees, komodo dragons, iguanas, guinea pigs, sabretooth cats, donkeys, hummingbirds, moose, and geese.

Years
  • Other than many good ones that have been mentioned here (blue jay, wolverine, snow leopard, narwhal, etc.), I'm still waiting for a ring-tailed lemur to be made into a Pokemon. The closest thing we've got Sentret, but I see that as more of a cross between a ferret and a red panda. And if we're going to be getting more dog Pokemon in the future, I wouldn't mind seeing one based off of a coyote.

Klippy

L E G E N D of
    Years
  • Ohhhhh. This is my kinda thread. I've always wanted to see more dogs/puppies. The poodle thing was neat, but we need straight up golden retrievers that are amazing. ;)

I'd also love to see more monkeys. The ones we have are great, but there's not nearly enough to suit a monkey fanatic like me. Also we need a koala! And penguins (Delibird doesn't count)! And more monkeys! And turtles! :D

PumpJack

Gentleman Thug
    Years
  • Kangaroo. Probably a Ground/Fighting type.

Kangaskhan and Lucario don't count.

Platypus. Not Psyduck. Water/Poison, likely.

Moose. Elephant (as in, actual massive hulking beast- not tiny l'il Donphan). A counterpart to Piloswine, y'know. Elephant seal. Toucan. Gazelle/Antelope. Anemone. Mantis shrimp. Tortura.

From mythos, a Chinese dragon would be cool. Could also do a Unicorn, Fairy type.

Really, if they wanted to- there's more than enough material to make well over a thousand unique new 'Mons.

Years
    • Seen Oct 22, 2023
    Although we might already have a dolphin Pokémon in Lanturn, I'm sure many of us would agree that it's kind of tough to categorize it as such, as... it doesn't actually look like the animal much, haha. If they were to introduce another Pokémon like it, one that resembles dolphins more, I feel it'd be great.

Also, I agree on there being a unicorn Pokémon. Especially now that fairy-type exists, I believe it would fit into their universe perfectly.

Iceshadow3317

Fictional Writer.
    Years
  • Dolphin and Turkey. I do not count Lanturn as a Dolphin. It is more based off the anglerfish and footballfish. Although this has already been stated.
    Snowy Owl - Would also like to see a few more types of owl, mainly the snowy owl and make it ice/flying.
    Moose: Would like to see a moose. If 7th region is based in Canda like I predict, that will be a great time to bring it out.
    Wolf - Although we have many dog type pokemon, we do not have a wolf.
    Cardianl - Would love to we a cardinal based bird.
    Elephant - I really want an elephant that evolves from Donphan to match Mamoswine. As well.
    Pegasus - We have a Unicorn, but I would like a Pegasus, maybe evolution from Rapidash.
    Pig/boar - I would like a pig that isn't a bipedal in it's final stage.
    Peacock - Ho-oH is more of a Phoenix, so I do not consider it.
    Koala - As stated by others.
    Opossum - Could be the rodent of a gen.
    Jackalope - Who wouldn't want a rabbit with antlers? But it doesn't need to be a Bipedal.
    Flamingo - To match the zoo type pokemon
    Great blue heron or a crane - I am surprised we don't have one yet.
    Tiger - Something similar to Pyroar, but not fire type and has stripes.
    Rhino - We have Ryhorn, but would love to see a real rhino.
    Goose - Swanna is close, but it is a Swan
    Black Bear - We have polar, brown, and panda. Think it is time to finish the bears off. Although they could always add more.
    Anaconda - Obviously this could be a legendary.

There are also many types of dogs that could still be unique. Along with bugs. But here some some I would like to see:
    Dalmatian, Golden Retriever, and a German Shepherd.
    Wasp/hornet (beedrill is a bee to me), Mosquito, and a Dark and Poison typed spider.

As for fossil based pokemon, there are a ton, but some I would like are these:
    Triceratops
    Ankylosaurus
    Stegosaurus
    Saber-toothed tiger (This doesn't have to be a fossil as Mamoswine isn't)
    Parasaurolophus (This one the most I have loved these dinosaurs sense that very old dino game for the computer where you go around and collect dino eggs.)

Edit: I also want a Owl or some other nocturnal bird to be Dark/Flying. I think the best owl would be a Barn Owl. Those things are creepy and match the dark type.

Last edited:
    Years
  • Not a real animal but .... how cool would a gryphon Pokemon be?!

I'd like more mystical creatures in general! Rapidash for me is definitely a unicorn, but I agree that now, with the new fairy typing, they could have a completely different take on it. A Pegasus would be amazing.

I think a peacock Pokemon could be absolutely stunning. Maybe another fairy type?

Years
    • Age 31
    • Seen Jul 11, 2022
    I'd love to see a Peacock Mantis Shrimp come around! Would be cool to have another Water/Fighting (their little arms are able to punch through glass tanks, as well as break the fingers of divers who try to carelessly catch them, their punches are relatively close to the force of a pistol).

A quail would be supremely cute, too. <3
    Maybe make it fairy/flying. >u<

Back