• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Anime fanbase

Pyrax

Midnight Guest
    Years
    • he/him
    • UK
    • Seen Jun 4, 2024
    Where to begin? I blame Tumblr.
    Only two come to mind: Attack on Titan & Puella Magi Madoka Magica.

In AoT's case, it was due to their overuse of old jokes (the German line at the beginning of the first op, just to name an example) and how they've managed to turn two female characters (both of whom I was fond of) into one-dimensional gags.
    For example, Sasha, one of the characters, was only seen eating a potato once in the entire series, yet they've managed to turn her into an eating machine named "potato girl", all the while forgetting her actions and development.
    Don't even get me started on the whole "Ereri" thing.

As for PMMM, well I have no problems against the anime itself, it was just that all over Tumblr, all I saw were people putting it on a pedestal and claiming it to be "the greatest anime ever" all the while pretty much turning it into a synonym for magical girl. Yes, I get that it's well-written, but that's not a reason to compare it to anything that just so happens to have young girls in a dark setting.

zakisrage

In the trunk on Highway 10
    Years
    I don't know about "yaoi" but I don't think I've seen a person that was a major fan of Free who didn't seriously ship at least 2 pairs together.

I don't ship any of the guys together. Being a swimmer doesn't mean that you're gay. Is it because of the tight swimwear?

Most of the Free! fans I associate with IRL are guys, in contrast to the ones on the Internet who are mostly girls.

One anime fandom I've also had a bad experience with was the Ouran fandom. I've been to anime cons and I haven't met a single Ouran cosplayer who was nice to me. I actually do like the Ouran manga, but I can't stand the anime.

Melty~

Deku Princess(?)
    Years
    • Age 33
    • USA
    • Seen Jun 7, 2014
    I've seen a lot of Tumblr obsessing over Free!, Attack on Titan, and Puella Magi Madoka Magica.

Normally, it wouldn't be a problem, but they get all rude about shippings, overuse jokes, and mischaracterize many of the good characters.

On the other hand, I don't see much love for things I truly love, like .hack//SIGN...

Alternative

f i r e f l y .
    Years
    Most animes which are big on tumblr have the worst fandoms, the main two being Free and Attack on Titan. Mostly because of really bad mischaracterization and everyone is just gay. But then again this is a site where you are sent death threats because you don't agree with someone's opinion so really it shouldn't be taken too seriously.

Personally I think these fandoms are the worst because of their tendency for shipping, to the point where it's almost fetishizing gay couples, but I won't get into that. You've gotta ship this or that, like no I want to enjoy the series for what it is, not put two people in an incredibly sexual relationship where one person is twice the age of the other.

But back to the main topic; I think this happened with me and Attack on Titan, I tried to watch it and almost finished it but I got really bored of everything that went down because of it, and how passionately I've seen people get defensive about their favourite characters. I don't think I could count how many times I've seen people listing reasons why Mikasa or Armin are brilliant characters and should be loved. There's nothing wrong with getting passionate about your favourites, just calm down a little and don't force this ♥♥♥♥ down peoples' throats.

I think another problem with tumblr fandom is the need to force their own westernized views on japanese culture, specifically with characters and their gender identity issues. Persona 4, Gatchaman Crowds and Dangan Ronpa come to mind with this, the representative "looks like x gender but is actually y gender" character is always transgender -- despite them saying in canon material that they aren't like that and still try to force their opinions down your throat like it's fact.

I'll end it here before I get too offensive, but fandom really can ruin an anime, or really any sort of media when they get too passionate about it and talk it up like it's the greatest thing since sliced bread.

Back