• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Anime for a newbie?

Lucario

Hardly active since 2017!
    Years
    Hi,
    does anyone know of a good anime for a 13 year old who's new to anime? (but has watched pokemon)

machomuu

Stuck in Hot Girl Summer
    Years
    A 13 year old who's only watched Pokemon?

Well, the obvious choices that you'd probably enjoy at least one or two of are the long running Shounen: Bleach, Naruto, and One Piece- with added Fairy Tail or Soul Eater as you please. Just pick one and go all out.

As for shorter choices, people'll generally point to shows like Cowboy Bebop, more Western appealing anime to get people started, because that does make sense. But I'll recommend Durarara!, Angel Beats!, and Baka and Test to get three particularly different, very anime tastes. And if you like any of those, anime's for you. If you don't, those anime aren't for you.

Bonus, Shirobako. Whether you'll like it's up in the air, but if you're interested in the medium and want some form of appreciation for it, or just love stuff like it (both of which are me), I'd recommend checking it out. Gives a fair deal of insight, and it's one of my favorite shows for that.

JJ Styles

The Phenomenal Darling
    Years
    Not entirely sure if you'd go old school but some older animes aren't as "deep" or as "gravitational" but are still good. Voltes V is what i'm thinking about though it gets repetitive. Or something like Ninja Senshi Tobikage or otherwise known as Ninja Robots, because Ninja mechas is far too entertaining.

If you're insane like i am, Jojo's Bizarre Adventure's a good entryway.

Years
    • Seen Jun 20, 2016
    The best of anime is gone. Everything now worth watching is student made or fan made goodies. That is it. I could mention Rated-R material but I rather not.

Support your local artist.

countryemo

Kicking against the earth!
    Years
    Well I would suggest something that is close to your interest, tv shows, movies that you watch. If you like'd Pokemon, maybe look into Digimon, Yu-Gi-Oh, Bakugon, other creature animes, possibly even Zatch Bell.

You can also look into the mainstream/well known/veteran animes, like DBZ, the above, one piece, naruto, inyuasha, yuyuhakisho, sailor moon.

Akiba

[img]http://i.imgur.com/o3RYT4v.png[/img]
    Years
    Ah, middle school. Those were the good days.

I watched stuff like Bakemonogatari and Durarara!! back then.

Seconding Regal and the britbong, anime has mostly come to ****, so it's a waste of time unless you're super picky about what you watch.

The Hataraku Maou-sama and Kaichou wa Maid-sama are pretty cute, so they'd make decent starter animes. You can try the two I mentioned earlier if you're up for something different.

Arma

The Hyena
    Years
    Shaman King was pretty much the coolest thing ever when I was your age! It's action packed, and really funny too!! Durarara!! is good as well, but it can be rather fast paced, so you gotta pay attention when watching it.

Pinkie-Dawn

Vampire Waifu
    Years
    Here's some anime recommended for your age:

Digimon, Yu-Gi-Oh, Bayblade, Dragon Ball, One Piece, Inyuasha, Cory in the House, Sailor Moon, Hamtaro, Bakugon, Yu Yu Hakusho, and the Transformers Unicron trilogy series (Armada, Energon, Cybertron).

semi

the magnificent steiner
    Years
    • Seen Oct 24, 2023
    I wasn't ignoring, I just think that I'll finish watching all of indigo league first.
    In that case, you're a newbie to Pokémon as well! And welcome to the crazy-all anime world, I might add.
    If you don't mind me adding (when you finished the season and all) I suggest you start proper anime with Fullmetal Alchemist or Death Note. They're classics, both with amazing plots, the first more emotional and the second mindblowing and DAMN.
    Anyhow, good luck handling Ash for a little while longer. Don't worry. There's bound to always be a plot twist somewhere nearby.
    And there's Pikachu.
    Who needs a damn plot twist when there's Pikachu in every episode? Not me :3

Years
    In that case, you're a newbie to Pokémon as well! And welcome to the crazy-all anime world, I might add.
    If you don't mind me adding (when you finished the season and all) I suggest you start proper anime with Fullmetal Alchemist or Death Note. They're classics, both with amazing plots, the first more emotional and the second mindblowing and DAMN.
    Anyhow, good luck handling Ash for a little while longer. Don't worry. There's bound to always be a plot twist somewhere nearby.
    And there's Pikachu.
    Who needs a damn plot twist when there's Pikachu in every episode? Not me :3

I personally wouldn't recommend Death Note for a 13 year old (no offence to the OP), as it might be kinda hard to follow the plot. If you like Pokemon chances are you'll like Digimon, Beyblade and Bakugan too. If you're going for Beyblade I'd start with Bayblade: Metal fusion as it has better animation quality than the original series. After that, it really depends on what you are looking for in an anime. If you like mmorpgs then definitely take a look at Sword Art Online and Log Horizon. If you like lots of magic then Magi: the Labyrinth of Magic or Fairy Tail will suit you best in my opinion.

semi

the magnificent steiner
    Years
    • Seen Oct 24, 2023
    I personally wouldn't recommend Death Note for a 13 year old (no offence to the OP), as it might be kinda hard to follow the plot. If you like Pokemon chances are you'll like Digimon, Beyblade and Bakugan too. If you're going for Beyblade I'd start with Bayblade: Metal fusion as it has better animation quality than the original series. After that, it really depends on what you are looking for in an anime. If you like mmorpgs then definitely take a look at Sword Art Online and Log Horizon. If you like lots of magic then Magi: the Labyrinth of Magic or Fairy Tail will suit you best in my opinion.
    You may be right about that, though I sincerely believe it depends on taste. Besides, I despised Digimon and anime of that sort when I first started with Pokémon and anime in general. To be honest, I had watched Death Note at 13 myself.
    But I agree with you that Sword Art Online and Magi are exceptional. Or rather, pretty amazing.

Years
    You must watch Naruto. It's awesome and I know you're certainly going to enjoy it.

If you prefer something total destruction and insanely powerd anime I recommend you to watch Dragon ball Z and One punch man :)

If you want to see a total badass anime protagonist that's where "bleach" came in.

Years
    The latter half is incredible.

Anime for a newbie?

First half was way better.

Back