• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Anime getting worse?

Years
    • Seen Jan 15, 2017
    I don't think it is getting way much worse or something, it's actually the same to be honest :\ , only with some tweaks. I don't know if it's this terrible nostalgia that would make people hate the show, but I doubt, I think it's more because of the repetition. We get the exact same cycle, and it gets quite boring. But to be honest, I believe the developers are doing a good job keeping the show balanced. I can't see why people started hating it after 1st/2nd Generation. It still went on great and sometimes better.

The reason I don't agree with most people in change of the anime is that I believe it is a bit radical. We can't say for sure what restrictions are the developers under, so ideas of changing can rather be of deformation.

Plot-wise, the anime isn't excellent but it's actually the adventure that keeps me watching. A very long adventure still on going for 14 years....it's so grand!

Because the 1st/2nd Generation were pure epic which is the reason why an whole lot of people liked it. The 3rd/4th Generation just wasn't all that good because the new modern pokemon look plain damn terrible, also the anime went to crap when the DP series started. Atleast the BW series brought the show back to it's roots, it's really good that Ash gotten all of the starters again in the Unova region since it does add more balance to his team, i really do hope they keep this trend for him to keep getting the three starters again for the 6th Gen region aswell.

They should make a more mature anime... Yes, I know, Pokémon is aimed for kid but I'm sure that a lot of older fans would watch if they made a better anime. Or an anime based on the manga.
    The first seasons were also aimed for kids, but even now I still think they are way better. At least there was a scenario, we were discovering the world of Pokémon with a great heroe, the movies were awesome (Mewtwo VS Mew <3). Now, just the fact that Ash is still here ruin a lot of things. The characters are uninteresting, and the anime is more and more childish than before.

The first seasons were actually more mature then what came after them.....Nowdays the Pokemon anime is so child like now with hardly any good plots happening, they should had stop this show after the Johto series ended.

Last edited:

Little Oshawott

The Trainer of cute Pokemon
    Years
  • I Kinda agree that the Anime started to go downhill after the 1st and 2nd generation. I would of prefered it more if they followed the trainers for each of the games instead of following Ash everywhere. Also really... shouldnt Ash like in his 20's now?

Dying Light

Pegasus Knight
    Years
  • What I think...

I haven't watched ever since Brock left.
    I'd have to agree here. I saw little snippets of the new episodes, and... ugh.
    Because the 1st/2nd Generation were pure epic which is the reason why an whole lot of people liked it. The 3rd/4th Generation just wasn't all that good because the new modern pokemon look plain damn terrible, also the anime went to crap when the DP series started. Atleast the BW series brought the show back to it's roots, it's really good that Ash gotten all of the starters again in the Unova region since it does add more balance to his team, i really do hope they keep this trend for him to keep getting the three starters again for the 6th Gen region aswell.

The first seasons were actually more mature then what came after them.....Nowdays the Pokemon anime is so child like now with hardly any good plots happening, they should had stop this show after the Johto series ended.
    What you say here is true, especially the fact that the anime has gotten quite child-like (not like it wasn't before, it's just gotten really bad). Johto was my favorite.
    My most favorite point you make is that the modern Pokémon do look terrible. They have lost so much originality it's unbelievable. Although, I don't like B/W Pokémon even more than earlier generations. Black & White Pokémon are so terrible.
    I Kinda agree that the Anime started to go downhill after the 1st and 2nd generation. I would of prefered it more if they followed the trainers for each of the games instead of following Ash everywhere. Also really... shouldnt Ash like in his 20's now?
    Agreed. Ash is as boring as the same repetitive "fatherless kid meets old guy, gets Pokémon and beats Gym Leaders. The end.". You would think that with how long they have propelled the "Ash" idea, they'd see people get tired of it real fast.

Last edited:

zlip

______
    Years
    • Seen Aug 8, 2013
    I agree. I thought Sinnoh was actually one of the better seasons simply because of its story arc.=, all though nowhere near as halirious as the good old originals.

B&W...were just plain bad. They made Ash look like a total loser who didn't know anyhing about pokemon, loosing to a lvl 5 Snivy despite having recently just beat a Darkrai and Latios.

I hate that Team Plasma hasn't even been shown yet (except for a small hint from Giavonni) but I totally understand and agree with why they didn't show the episodes they were spossed to be in.

With SPOILERS the addition of Melotta, a freakin Event Legendary pokemon soon to join Ash on his travels I think it will only get worse. But heres to being hopeful.

droomph

weeb
    Years
  • Well, it's not getting worse...it's getting different.

Gen V, you have to remember, is a fresh start to the Pokémon Universe, much like how people thought that the reboot which was Hoenn was such a baaaaaaaad idea. But now look at us, admiring Grovyle and loving Sootopolis City <3

So to accomodate those changes in the games, they had to start over. And it made plenty of sense that Pikachu lost to a new and untrained Snivy - Zekrom had temporarily disabled its moves and weakened it, though only by power and not by health.

I love Oshawott, Tepig, Axew, and every one of their Pokémon, because they are unique in personality, much like how all his other Pokémon were! (Gliscor <3)

And Cilan is a great candidate to replace Brock, although his French connoisseur terms don't necessarily agree with my linguistic taste. But then again, the English "r" sound and the Hawaiian " ' " sound doesn't quite agree with me either ^^" so I'll have to get used to it, won't I?

And Iris, even though she's a little annoying when she says "You're just a kid!", is a great candidate to replace the would-be Hilda! Even though she's annoying when she says "You're just a kid!" constantly, I have to forgive her for the flaws that make her more human.

I don't know why - but even though Unova may be boring, I find that some episodes from the past are even worse. So it's just a matter of adjusting to the fresh new material than blaming the producers for being lazy. Besides, who are they to blame? It's not like they're required to make episodes for you~

So I wouldn't say it's getting worse, it's just getting different. And a fresh new start in perspective, though painful at first (remember every time they introduced the new Pokémon? I know I used to hate Turtwig, but now look at Twiggy my love for him c:), will give us wonderful new twists to this series that would have otherwise gone woefully stale.

Last edited:
    Years
    • Seen Jun 9, 2012
    Almost every season, they keep reverting back Ash as a starter trainer and getting beat by some other noob rival even though Ash's pikachu should be level 100 and the rival's starter pokemon is level 5. In the Unova region, Pikachu maintains all his skills, but gets stomped by a level 5 snivy? What? Tell me if I'm wrong, but the last fight before against Snivy was against a Latios (a legendary pokemon) and Pikachu managed to tie with it.

Years
    • Seen Mar 12, 2019
    i never really watched the heonn and sinnoh seasons but a couple months back when i watched the the first or second episode of b&w where ash go's to Unova and Pikachu got beaten by a Snivy ( i think it was snivys first battle as well) and i was pretty disgusted considering Pikachu and ash have 14 or 15 years experience... thats when i started hated the anime + 5 gen pokemon are filth.. pokemon that resemble ice-creams and mechanical gears? and Bouffalant looks like a ugly tauros with an afro grgrr

WildEagle

Call me, Your Royal Freshness
    Years
  • It wasn't bad, but not near as good as older episodes. I'm not trying to be " oh old pokemon was so much better", but I think it started getting worse since Sinnoh.

Not as near as good as older episodes? Sinnoh was when it turn worse? I disagree. Sinnoh saga was considered one of the best in terms of Character development, rival development and pokemon development. Ash completely matured during this season, Sinnoh was when he finally put everything together as a trainer to beat his greatest rival Paul. His rivalry with Paul beats anyone else he called rival from the past seasons, even Gary. Ash rivalry with Gary was short lived and only had 1 major battle. Ash rivalry with Paul had a great start and great ending. Ash's sinnoh team had a deep rivalry against Paul and how he thought of them as pathetic bunch. Gary or anyone else didn't have that interaction with Ash's other pokemons. Ash vs Paul League battle is up there with Ash's best league matches (vs Gary, vs Harrison, vs Drake(OI)).

The only flaws that brought down Sinnoh saga was
    - The one year gap between 7th and 8th badge. (crappy filler made it worse)
    - Brock and Dawn barely had interaction. Brock was stale to the max.
    - Torterra was shafted for Infernape. It went from a dominating Turtwig into a winless Torterra..
    - Takuto trolling with Latios.
    - It wasn't as funny as previous sagas.

So no, Sinnoh saga didn't make the series worse. The older episodes had comedic value in them which is why they are deem better. Sinnoh was focused on Ash and Paul's rivalry and gym battles/League.

Back