• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Anime Openings

derozio

[b][color=red][font=helvetica][i]door-kun best boi
    Years
    A thread about anime openings. Cuz why not?

What are your opinions when it comes to these minute long thingies? Do they play a part in your decision to give an anime a shot? Do they make your anime experience more enjoyable? Do you listen to them every episode or just skip them? Are there any openings you find yourself singing to yourself or listening repeatedly on your iPod? Are you the kind who enjoys an opening the better it is animated or does the song carries more weight when it comes to you liking/disliking an anime op/ed? What are your current faves?

I'll answer the last one for now - higurashi's opening 1. Holy crap is that fusion of haunting and sweet music epic as hell. Go check it out on youtube, peeps!

Sweets Witch

I just love ham jerky.
    Years
    I love me some anime openings because after I finish an anime I can feel every emotion I felt during the entire course of the show within the first couple of notes in the opening song. I'm not that big of a fan of ending themes, though. There are only a few endings that I like.

Anyway, I have a ton of favorite OPs and I tried my hardest to pick one but they all pale in comparison to Sakurasou's second ED.

Too lazy to embed so here.

Years
    If I like the opening I'll probably watch it. Maybe not if I'm "marathoning" as you say, the opening rarely has anything to do with my chosing to watch the anime or not though.

The best one is, as you have said, Higurashi's first one. Although Elfen Lied's is really chilling also.

Khawill

<3
    Years
    My 5 favorite openings are (in no order)
    1. 19sSai from xxxholic
    2. Matryoshka from [C] - Control
    3. The opening for Welcome to the NHK
    4. The opening for Baccano!
    5. The opening for Steins;Gate

I suppose I just like unique sounding openings with a lot of energy, also all of those animes are basically my favorite (excluding C-Control, that one wouldn't make my top 10).

Altairis

take me ☆ take you
    Years
    I watch the opening the first time I see it, and usually from there I'll just decide to skip it or watch it. A few that I really like are Shingeki no Kyojin's and almost all of Fairy Tail's (oops, not just a few), because they seem to match the mood of the segment of the show it played for.

tsubaki9

Send the dead back to dead!
    Years
    I never skip the openings, I think it's great.
    My favorite openings are Guren no Yumiya, Crossing Field, Kyomu Densen, Evidence and much more.

«Chuckles»

Sharky
    Years
    • Seen Apr 29, 2023
    Fairy Tail has a great Opening, well all of their openings are great but I like Love the first one in japanese.

Fairy (Fair-Dee) Tail (Tay-doo), goes on than the themes song and its so <3

Satoshi Ookami

Memento Mori
    Years
    I never skip openings/endings, it's absolutely ugly thing to do... if you skip it it's like you haven't watched the whole episode.
    I also download some I really like into my phone.
    This season has many awesome openings to choose from :D

Weeaboo Name

Banned
    Years
    it's absolutely ugly thing to do

You actually made me laugh, well done. Not sure if you're being serious though. If you are then enjoy your generic vis-kei or idol**** 12/26/51/more times per series.

Probably less than 20% of the series I've seen have an op worth watching more than once, and even less have a song worth downloading.

derozio

Years
    Yeah...I am siding with lappy on this one. I totally wouldn't watch something like say berserk's opening every time I watch an episode. There's nothing wrong with skipping openings that just dont appeal to you. I am a big One Piece fan but still find myself skipping on most of the openings just because I'm not crazy about them/have seen them a gazillion amount of times. Imo very few ops generally become download worthy or something rewatchable. Then again I still get bored of seeing the same op for the sixtieth time even if it might be a godly opening.

Idk man, just don't see anything 'ugly' about it.

Oh and since I haven't revealed my list of faves properly I'll do so now. All FmaB openings, One Piece openings 13 & 14, Gintama enchousen sakura mitsutsuki, bleach's ranbu no melody, naruto's nico touches the walls openings, deadman wonderland op, higurashi ops, death note op 2, attack on titan op and ed 1. More but these are mostly ones I'd never skip.

Years
    I tend to like most of the ones I watch. I wouldn't say it makes an impression on weither I ever watch the show though. I think the sign of a good opening is one that you can watch even while marathoning! ^_^

There was once though..where the theme took me for a ride and never let me go. Love at first sight at it's finest.

Weeaboo Name

Banned
    Years
    One Piece openings 13 & 14

BELIEVE IN WONNNNDERRRRRRRLAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAANDD is my favourite One Piece op, most of them are great though. Only one I didn't like was 13, song is fine but it lacked the fun factor the rest have. Could be argued that a ''fun'' song wouldn't fit that part of the story but still, was just 2dull4op.

Years
    • UK
    • Seen Oct 17, 2023
    I skip over some openings. Especially if you're watching episodes back to back they can get tedious. Most of the time I listen to them as I make a drink/make food in preparation though :) Same with normal TV.

derozio

Years
    @lappy: Well, considering the arc OP was going through at that time I just don't think a regular upbeat OP would have been appropriate. The arc needed to have a mellowed out and sort of sad opening. I mean, have you read those lyrics? They alone make me get all the feels when I think of the marineford arc and luffy's bond with ace. Plus, the animation quality, imo, was just amazing.

Guess you're the kind who'd prefer the fifteenth op over the current ph op, eh? Though to be honest, I sorta dislike hands up too lol. I like 'we go' much more.

OH AND THIS ONE.

I loved the music here. Have it in my phone.

Calamitastrophe

He's really feeling it
    Years
    • Seen Dec 14, 2016
    I usually watch openings for the first five episodes. If I like it, I'll probably watch watch the opening for every episode. Or at least most of the episodes, but definitely the last episode. My favorite ones that immediately come to mind are [C] - The Money of Soul and Possibility Control's op and Jojo's Bizarre Adventure's 2nd op, Bloody Stream.

BraveNewWorld

The Breaker
    Years

Calamitastrophe

He's really feeling it
    Years
    • Seen Dec 14, 2016
    I fell in love with Roundabout the first time I heard it. Lovin' dat bass.

On another note, I was reminded earlier today how much I like Daily Lives of High School Boys' op. It's surprisingly cool for a comedy anime.

Satoshi Ookami

Memento Mori
    Years
    You actually made me laugh, well done. Not sure if you're being serious though. If you are then enjoy your generic vis-kei or idol**** 12/26/51/more times per series.
    Idk man, just don't see anything 'ugly' about it.
    The ugly part is that instead of watching whole 23 minutes episode (if it's full one) it's reduced to 20 minutes or so...
    I like to keep record of my watch time and without OP/ED the watch time is not objective.
    My opinion, though.

Back