• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Anime or Manga?

What do you prefere?

• Anime

Votes: 12 54.5%
  • Manga

Votes: 10 45.5%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

Weeaboo Name

Banned
Years
  • Whichever has the better story.

If the material is exactly the same I'd prefer the anime if;
    .Pacing's ok
    .Music's good
    .Decent voice acting
    .Decent animation

Alice

(>^.(>0.0)>
    Years
  • Anime.

I just don't enjoy it as much if it's not in color, or has no sound.

Now, if I watch an anime adaptation of a manga, that I really like, and doesn't cover the entire story, I may go read the manga, just for the sake of the story... but in general, I don't really like it as much.

Meganium

[i]memento mori[/i]
    Years
  • I'm more into Anime than Manga. It's better to have good quality picture and music while the manga lacks those. It's pure pictures & words.

Years
  • Anime. Mostly because of its accessibility.

For anime , one can just pick almost any series at random and there will be a good chance that there's a readily available English translation somewhere. Also, most of it is short and has a definite ending while still having some sort of length. 11-13 episodes is still an investment of time. Also, airing anime is almost always on schedule, with a new episode every week to keep me satisfied until the ending.

Manga on the other hand is not as accessible. Most manga series don't have English translations readily available, and those that do are either for the big titles with over 100 chapters or incredibly slow, being a few/considerable amount of chapters behind Japan. Consequently, this can lead to some delays when following a serialized manga series that isn't a super popular mega hit (among English speakers) and sometimes the 3 month wait isn't worth that one chapter of new content. Most manga series do look interesting, but most lack attention until the anime adaptation airs, and when it does air, there's no real reason to read the manga unless it's an original story with only hints toward the source (FMA 1). Additionally, the format of manga lends itself to reading in a book; not on a computer screen. I have no cash for personal expenses and manga of what I want to read is usually not sold in stores, so that's another reason I can't enjoy manga.

tl;dr: I could read manga if I could, but as I can't, I'll settle for anime.

ToxicSapphire

Elite Collector
    Years
  • I like both but I'd choose anime. But I HATE waiting for new episodes to come out!
    So if i really love it and need to get my fix then I go read the manga. :P
    I agree with -Lapras- though. If the manga has a better story then I'd rather read it then watch the anime.

Yurusumaji

The Collector
    Years
  • All things considered, anime. Anime is easy to get into and fairly readily available depending on what you're looking for. Netflix made this even more true by putting a large amount of anime into their Instant streaming cache.

Manga is expensive, which makes sense due to the fact it has to be imported, but this makes it much less accessible to the general public since buying the anime box set would be ultimately cheaper and you'd likely get a pretty close adaptation to the story. In some cases though, it is worth it to read the manga. A good example is Fruits Basket, whose anime deviates from the original manga almost entirely and leaves out oodles upon oodles of storyline.

Hiche..

Years
    • Seen Dec 27, 2014
    Anime, of course.

I tried reading a manga once, but I did not enjoy it as much as watching its animated version. There are countless series that I only found as manga and none were adapted into an anime version, so I just gave them up due to the 'displeasure' reading gives me. Nevertheless how strong, good, or unique the story is, I'd pick watching a mediocre anime over a highly coveted and rated manga, any day.

Elite Overlord LeSabre™

On that 'Non stop road'
    Years
  • Anime more or less because I have easier access to it, but I do have a decent collection of manga that I've enjoyed, so I'll happily choose one or the other as long as it holds my interest.

Years
  • Everything else being equal, I'd pick manga. You get more style in manga. That's really the only difference between them that matters enough to me.

And since things aren't equal there are lots of stories out there only in manga form because they aren't mainstream/popular/well known/marketable enough to be made into anime. There are styles of manga that just wouldn't be possible to animate faithfully without something like Studio Ghibli behind it. A lot of anime dumbs down adaptations of manga, and original anime is hit and miss - just like manga only there is a lot more manga out there than anime so there are simply more hits and therefore more variety.

Years
  • I'm going to have to go with Manga.

Manga is actually enjoyable, unlike England. I just never really took a liking to England, I don't see what's so great about it. If England was to disappear I really wouldn't mind. England's okay every once in a while, but most of the time... Bleh... If England was to disappear, it might actually benefit the world.

EDIT: April Fool's is awesome.

Last edited:

Oryx

CoquettishCat
    Years
    • Age 31
    • Seen Jan 30, 2015
    Wow, so few manga supporters in this thread. There are a few animes that I much prefer to watch in anime form over manga, but in general I prefer manga strongly.

In anime, there are so many things that can go wrong to ruin the show. If everything is perfect except for the music, a few voice actors, or something else anime-specific, it could ruin the whole show. In the manga, your mind is what decides what's the best music for it, the best voices for the character. It's the most perfect it could possibly be, because you created it in your mind to be the best for you reading the manga. In addition, I've never been able to find a website that has as much free anime as the websites I know of with free manga scans. Some styles can only be shown in manga (yonkoma), and manga in general often comes before the anime, so the anime is just adapting the original and I'd rather have the original than the adaptation if I have a choice. There's also the matter of my attention span. I will never just watch a TV show; I'll watch a show and play Pokemon and chat with friends, etc. If I'm reading a manga, online or in my hand, it's easy to glance away from it and do other things. If I'm watching an anime, I'd have to pause it every single time, and it takes longer than a few seconds to watch the previous scene and remember where I was. Often the time it takes to get myself back into the anime is longer than the time I spent away from it. Finally, I can read manga anywhere. I don't need sound. If I don't have my headphones, that's fine. If where I am is crowded and I can't hear even with headphones, that's fine. I can still read manga. Anime needs a very specific place to be able to be watched, while manga is much more flexible.

tl;dr: manga manga manga

mangakid

Mangakid
    Years
    • Seen Apr 23, 2011
    I prefer the anime, but the manga seems not to have fillers. So that's a benefit. I've got a Naruto/Pokemon tshirt up for sale on RIPT Apparel today. Seems it is quite controversial!

Years
    • Age 25
    • Seen Feb 5, 2012
    Anime

I prefer Anime because you can be able to hear, see and perceive what the creator or editor had actually intentioned for the audience to enjoy within each of their characters and events.

Some people with varying imaginations, attentions, intentions and personalities may see different things in a certain scene inside a Manga thus possibly changing what they see in which the creator has intended unless the reader takes time to refer back to the past pages.

Misheard Whisper

[b][color=#FF0000]I[/color] [color=#FF7F00]also[/c
    Years
  • I like reading, always have, so manga is definitely best for me. There's no contest. I am very visual, so while there is a separate kind of magic when watching anime, I'll still take manga any day, especially if the manga is the original. Manga based off anime tend to be a bit rubbish sometime, but manga that are later adapted into anime are usually better than their counterparts. There's no twelve-episode constraint, no need to put in filler episodes while you wait for the other to finish a twenty-chapter arc that you covered in an episode or two.

Also, I just like taking my time with things, really.

Years
    • Age 29
    • Seen Jan 28, 2019
    Whichever has the better story.

If the material is exactly the same I'd prefer the anime if;
    .Pacing's ok
    .Music's good
    .Decent voice acting
    .Decent animation

Same.

But, sometimes I prefer manga over anime or the other way around. Like for right now, I'm content with reading manga, not watching anime at the moment.

Years
    • Seen Jul 16, 2011
    More than often not, I would choose the Manga of a series. For the most part, the story in the Manga is much more pleasant than the story in the anime, and it wouldn't take me as long to read anime than it would for me to read the manga. If the story happen to be the same though, or the story happens to be better in the anime, I'll choose the anime. That, or if I really enjoyed a series, I might watch the anime if the story is the same, or I might pick episodes that have what were my favorite parts so I could see them in action.

So really, it depends on what series it is. Some series I much prefer the manga, while some I like the anime for better. Then in some cases it can be both, but the manga usually gets read before the anime because reading manga doesn't take as long.

Status
    Not open for further replies.
    Back