• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Anime Romance!

Years
    • Age 29
    • Seen May 11, 2023
    Do you like it when anime contains aspects of romance? Do you think its important for the main character to have a love interest? Do you find it annoying when a character spends the whole episode just trying to win over a girl? What is your favourite anime romance to date?

Personally, I'm not really a fan of most anime unless they have a romantic element to them. For one it's a nice tangent to the main story to make things less samey, and secondly it provides something to keep watching the show for to see what happens. Plus it can lead to some great plot twists at times so yeah; big fan of anime romances! c: And my favourite shipping is Haruhi x Kyon in TMoHS; so much love for them <3

Weeaboo Name

Banned
    Years
  • As long as it's written well I enjoy a good romance. I have somewhat gone off the visual novel type school romances, I'm so glad there's more to the genre than that.

To date my favourite romance series would be (anime) Koi Kaze, Nodame Cantabile, Chobits, Clannad, Spice & Wolf, (Manga)Voices of a Distant Star, Sundome, Pietà, Aoi Hana, Sasameki Koto, and B Gata H Kei.

CarefulWetPaint

Doctor Lobotomy
    Years
  • I think there needs to be a decent romance in an anime. It just helps add another aspect to the plot and such making the show more interesting, but I don't like it when whole episodes are dedicated to it, just when there is a few minutes going into it in an episode every now and then, I think that really helps the show.

My Favourites would have to beeeeee
    C.C and Lelouch (I dont care what anyone says it happened okay?)
    I liked Lucy and Kohta in Elfen Lied as well, I thought they worked together well
    Oh and the main one in Steins;Gate that was epic.

Weeaboo Name

Banned
    Years
  • C.C and Lelouch (I dont care what anyone says it happened okay?)

I certainly think so.
    Spoiler:

Watching first time round I didn't care for CC so much but rewatching earlier on this year I did, a lot for some reason.

Mr Cat Dog

Frasier says it best
    Years
  • Much like any other entertainment, romance in anime needs to feel legitimate and not shoehorned in to the main plot. If it emerges organically and is between two characters that one would imagine sexual tension emerging from, and actually has a semblance of good writing about it... then great! If it's just bludgeoned in to appeal to fans who want to see relationships for relationships sake then... no. What I really respected about something like Cowboy Bebop was that even though its characters would probably have been seen as attractive, their personalities were so wondrously toxic that any attempt at a relationship would never have worked, and the show didn't even attempt it! If I had to have a favourite, it'd probably be the relationship between the main characters in Steins;Gate. It emerges at a wonderful pace, feels amazingly real, and is very imperfect and awkward - just like in life.

~Ryukaa

total nerd
    Years
  • Romance Comedy is actually my favourite genre in general. It's a bit of a guilty pleasure, haha.
    But honestly, I can watch anime without Romance. That's completely fine with me.
    Oh, yeah, and if the romance feels forced, it really puts me off.

Anyway, some of my personal favourites when it comes down to romance are Toradora!, Ano Hana, Katanagatari, Clannad and Spice & Wolf.
    Oh, yeah. Also Konjiki no Gash Bell. It's not a romance anime, but it's got some strong, well written, powerful romance arcs. (It's my favourite series ever, just to let you know. : D)

Years
    • Seen Jul 3, 2012
    As long as the story is good and the character is not annoying, it doesnt matter. Its also fun and enjoying while watching all those stuff in anime. :D

Graceful

あぁ、たいさ!♥
    Years
  • Do you like it when anime contains aspects of romance? Do you think its important for the main character to have a love interest? Do you find it annoying when a character spends the whole episode just trying to win over a girl? What is your favourite anime romance to date?
    I love it when an anime contains even small aspects of romance! I even yell at the screen somtimes... I usually yell things like "Just confess already! -.-" because I get annoyed of waiting sometimes...and sometimes it never even happens D:
    I wouldn't say that the main character needs a love interest, it's just that most the time, things are hinted at and well, you do kind of start to get into supporting a pairing without knowing it sometimes ^^;;
    The "trying to win over the girl" themed episodes just annoy me >< The worst example was maybe when whats-his-face from School Days (Forgot his name ^^; ) tried to win over Kotobaha or whatever she was called. ><
    I have loads of romance animes of which I love ;w;

Emma - A Victorian Romance/Eikoku Koi Monogatari Emma (& the second series)
    Ano Hana
    Clannad/Clannad After Story
    Kaichou wa Maid-sama!
    Kimi ni Todoke
    Special A
    Sailor Moon
    Are maybe the ones of which are in my top list!

Though I mainly love animes with more "hinted" things going on. Like in Gosick (Victorique and Kazuya) and Tales of the Abyss (Tear and Luke). As well as other more "hidden" hinted things like Umineko no Naku Koro Ni (Beatrice and Battler)

Elite Overlord LeSabre™

On that 'Non stop road'
    Years
  • Romance anime accounts for at least half of the series I've seen so far, and in fact probably closer to 75% of it. So suffice to say I'm perfectly fine with watching it :) I'm especially a stickler for just flat out romance series, especially those that take place in the classic high school setting. I'm less fond of seeing romance when the actual series is about something else and the romance element is a tacked-on afterthought, but I do like my series where the whole plot is based on it.

Hard to say what my favorite romance series would be... 1999's To Heart comes to mind since Akari is so cute (and voiced by Ayako Kawasumi) and I have a lot of merchandise relating to that show. It's the old "childhood friends discover they might be more than that" theme, but the show's charming for its simplicity and nice, relaxing atmosphere that lets you just watch the romance slowly unfold.

Of course, that's just one of the many, many romance anime series I've enjoyed...

Years
    • Age 29
    • Seen Jan 28, 2019
    I've been a romance fan since '07 and haven't changed a bit. Love it when they're depressing in the end/middle/some point. I'm a sucker for them. Doesn't matter if they're based off a VN or a manga.

Clannad, 5 Cmps, Amagami SS, Ano Hi Mita Hana no Namae wo Bokutachi wa Mada Shiranai, Hotarubi no Mori e, etc. are some of my favorites.

Wish they made them like they did in the good ol' days.

Years
    • Seen Jun 22, 2012
    I believe it should happen more naturally instead of simply going straight for the girl in some awkward moments :S

Best romance anime I can come up with is Clannad and Clannad Afterstory ^_^

BlazingLink

Sergeant Serious
    Years
  • If it's done right, romance in anime can be an amazing story driver at times. I kinda like anime that don't really outright say that the two like each other, or especially when they DON'T know they like each other, yet everyone else can see it.

My all time favorite pairing is Himeko x Bossun from SKET Dance. It's so awkward, yet you can see it. It's awesome.

Back