• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Anime tropes that really grind your gears

Years
    • Seen Nov 14, 2023
    What's yours?

For me, I can't stand loli characters, especially when the creator tries to sexualize them or claims that they're like 16 years old.

I also hate when creators make that ass-pull move where the character's power was "inside him all along."

Pinkie-Dawn

Vampire Waifu
    Years
    > Implying 16 doesn't make a woman a loli

Anyone under 18 is considered a loli according to westerners, because 18 is the ideal age to call someone an adult regardless of a region's age of consent.

Back on topic, the tsundere trope drives me nuts, because that is not how they act irl. They are nothing but ice queens who have no interest in you and will put a restraining order on you if you get anywhere close to them or look at them funny, whether intentional or by accident.

Years
    • Seen Nov 14, 2023
    Well when I see a loli, they look like 10-12 year olds and having them try to be sexy is just creepy as fuck.

Years
    • Age 27
    • OH
    • Seen May 10, 2024
    Panty shots really piss me off. Especially when they're on the kids. Let's show the girls a little respect, please.

machomuu

Stuck in Hot Girl Summer
    Years
    For me, I can't stand loli characters, especially when the creator tries to sexualize them or claims that they're like 16 years old.
    > Implying 16 doesn't make a woman a loli

Anyone under 18 is considered a loli according to westerners, because 18 is the ideal age to call someone an adult regardless of a region's age of consent.
    Being a loli doesn't necessarily have to do with age.

It's a matter of aesthetics. If you're 45 but have smooth skin, cute features, and look and sound child young, you're probably a loli.

Satoshi Ookami

Memento Mori
    Years
    Being a loli doesn't necessarily have to do with age.

It's a matter of aesthetics. If you're 45 but have smooth skin, cute features, and look and sound child young, you're probably a loli.
    That's a matter of being a True Loli x Legal Loli.

True Loli is a loli that is loli by age and looks.
    Legal Loli is a loli that is loli only by looks.

Legal Lolis aren't true lolis.

Years
    • Seen May 28, 2019
    That's a matter of being a True Loli x Legal Loli.

True Loli is a loli that is loli by age and looks.
    Legal Loli is a loli that is loli only by looks.

Legal Lolis aren't true lolis.
    Are they really called legal lolis?

Holy crap.

Years
    Loli conversation?

My peeve is the deux ex machina power that comes and goes at the mangaka's convenience, the same power that manages to vanish without a trace when it could be useful asf to end a battle in two seconds. Also, when amnesia is constantly used as an excuse

ShivaDF

The Scooter-riding Artist
    Years
    • Seen Aug 25, 2017
    My peeve is the deux ex machina power that comes and goes at the mangaka's convenience, the same power that manages to vanish without a trace when it could be useful asf to end a battle in two seconds.

I noticed this happens a lot in magical girl shows. It really annoys me as well.

I can't stand a lot of yaoi tropes, from the uncomfortable similarity to stereotypical gender roles to the sexual assault cliches. So far the only guy/guy couple I've seen in an anime that avoids the stereotyping is the one from Cardcaptor Sakura, and that wasn't a show about the couple.

machomuu

Stuck in Hot Girl Summer
    Years
    Huh, yeah, guess I haven't really said my piece, yet.

Well, first, the Male Accessory archetype. The female that pretty much has no personality save for that they're paired with someone else. SAO's Asuna is a good example of this.

...Actually, I could probably go on for a while talking about tropes involving female characters. I suppose I'll just sum it up as me not liking shitty female characters.

Other than that, Onii-san Complex Females. I won't group it in with the above, since it's not really a matter of bad writing or even bad characters, and this is very case-by-case, it's only occasionally a trope I don't like. When I say "Onii-san Complex", I mean that they either treat their treat their brothers as a lord or an obsessive romantic interest, and I mean this only in the case where the story would have better benefited from a more vanilla family relationship. So this doesn't count characters like Utena's Nanami or Anthy and more refers to someone like, say, SAO's Suruga or possibly Irregular MC's sister.

Years
    • Seen Nov 14, 2023
    Oh another thing I hate is the characters who speak very softly and yet everyone around them from many feet away can still hear and understand what they're saying completely. It's usually the strong but silent female characters that get stuck with that quiet voice.

Years
    • Age 27
    • OH
    • Seen May 10, 2024
    Oh another thing I hate is the characters who speak very softly and yet everyone around them from many feet away can still hear and understand what they're saying completely. It's usually the strong but silent female characters that get stuck with that quiet voice.

How about just the fact that characters can seemingly always hear each other? They could be on the middle of a battle field standing 30+ feet away from each other and just be chatting like they were sitting over a nice afternoon tea.

Years
    • Seen Nov 14, 2023
    Right? I mean I understand that there can be anime where physics gets thrown out the window but c'mon, I need at least some basic realism to be standardized.

Satoshi Ookami

Memento Mori
    Years
    possibly Irregular MC's sister.
    That's ONII-SAMA! Do not categorize Onii-sama into Onii-sans.

Lolis are lolis. There are different types of lolis in terms of archetypes, but a loli is a loli. No loli is less true than the last.
    Again, do NOT categorize. Legal lolis cannot be categorized into the True loli category.
    What everyone should see under loli term must be the true loli.
    Legal lolis aren't lolis. They can't belong there.
    Only k-hundred years lolis can be considered lolis because we can't consider years in this case.

machomuu

Stuck in Hot Girl Summer
    Years

That's ONII-SAMA! Do not categorize Onii-sama into Onii-sans.
    That's true, but love interests don't often call their significant others or people of interest "-Sama", hence why I said "treat their brothers as a lord or an obsessive romantic interest.

Again, do NOT categorize. Legal lolis cannot be categorized into the True loli category.
    What everyone should see under loli term must be the true loli.
    Legal lolis aren't lolis. They can't belong there.
    Only k-hundred years lolis can be considered lolis because we can't consider years in this case.
    I disagree. As do various anime. Plus...isn't it hypocritical to say not to categorize when you're doing exactly that? And you still insist on calling them both "lolis", meaning they are both lolis. "Loli" is a purely aesthetic thing, and if you're saying they're legal because they're forced to be made into adults for legal reasons, then that means they're lolis, because if they didn't have features that would make them lolis (legal or otherwise), then they'd just be considered cute adults. But you yourself admit that they are indeed lolis, which means the term must be synonymous. We're not talking about real kids here; if you want to talk about true lolis, those are them.

Jesus Christ, we're still talking about lolis.

Last edited:

Candy

[img]http://i.imgur.com/snz4bEm.png[/img]
    Years
    Why are you guys arguing with Satoshi haha

I honestly can't stand female characters that are just there as an accessory to the main male protagonist. Like, they're soooo bland.

Chikara

ʕ´•ᴥ•`ʔ
    Years
    I can't stand a lot of yaoi tropes, from the uncomfortable similarity to stereotypical gender roles to the sexual assault cliches. So far the only guy/guy couple I've seen in an anime that avoids the stereotyping is the one from Cardcaptor Sakura, and that wasn't a show about the couple.

While assault is a popular theme, it's not all that common anymore. I can think of plenty of yaoi couples that came about without so much as a kiss till chapter 6/7. Seven Days is a prime example and one of my favorites :) I do agree though!

Anyway, I don't really like stoic characters much all. Too cool to be here? I think so too, get outta my animu.

Back