• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Animes that amazed/disappointed you.

rm2kdude

Advanced Pixel-Artist
    Years
    • Age 35
    • usa
    • Seen Oct 30, 2022
    I actually enjoyed air gear, probably because of it's epic OST!
    I also really loved Detective Conan, would have loved a faithful dub but because of legal reasons couldn't name it Detective Conan. Makes really no sense to change all the names, the actual story is still kept in tact and the actual translation is pretty damn faithful. Would still have preferred the original names..

And would love to see the Anime series continue to dub! I loved every episode that aired on Adult Swim, I've seen over 300 episodes in Japanese but would like the English version to continue and I'd love for FUNimation to License the South-East Asians English Dub"which is 100% faithful"

Last edited:

twocows

The not-so-black cat of ill omen
    Years
    CLAMP hasn't really done anything I haven't LIKED, but they haven't really done anything other than Kobato that I've really LOVED.
    The thing with Holic and Tsubasa is that they're both so... confusing. At least, towards the end of Tsubasa, I was completely lost. xD;

I was never really a fan of CLAMP's older works either though. It's probably the art style that puts me off though- I'm really sensitive about art. :C
    Have you watched/read their older works all the way through?

Lucy

☂snow fairy, don't say goodbye
    Years
    CLAMP hasn't really done anything I haven't LIKED, but they haven't really done anything other than Kobato that I've really LOVED.
    The thing with Holic and Tsubasa is that they're both so... confusing. At least, towards the end of Tsubasa, I was completely lost. xD;

I was never really a fan of CLAMP's older works either though. It's probably the art style that puts me off though- I'm really sensitive about art. :C
    With you on that~

Now, my turn~

Amazed:
    Gurren Lagann: IF you know me, you know I hate mechas. But Gurren Lagann...is something else. Gotta love the characters, the BGM, the plot. Definitely a good work of art (b' ')b
    Clannad: When I was gonna watch it, I thought it was just gonna be some other slice of life series that I wouldn't get into. Even with its cliches, though, I kinda like it so far :3 /I own the whole first season and I still haven't finished it yet >.>
    5cm per Second: OMG I felt really sad when I was done watching this ;_; It was really good but still really sad at the same time D:

Disappointed:

OK, time to surprise everybody, y/y?
    Fairy Tail: OK, I got into this series because I decided to watch the anime first. But after catching up in the manga and waiting every week for a new chapter to be translated and get on the web, the anime really doesn't compare to the manga. The only things I DO like about the anime itself are the voice actors (Natsu = Simon from TTGL FOR THE WIN), and the BGM. If you ask me, Fairy Tail definitely has some of the best BGM I've ever heard <3 It's Celtic and whatnot, and I guess that just really reaches out to me (I have a few Celtic backgrounds). I'll still watch the series, though~ I mean, it's definitely better than other anime adaptations I've seen. *coughcoughNARUTOANDBLEACHcoughcough*
    Umineko: At first, I liked it more than Higurashi (keep in mind I was on episode 5 of Higurashi when I was on about episode 6 of Umineko). But then after finishing the first season of Higurashi and watching about 15 more episodes of Umineko, it got really confusing. I do love the characters though <3 (especially the seven stakes of Purgatory + Sakutaro)

Last edited:

Roxasabridged

Lucariowner
    Years
    Impressed:
    Code Geass - Lelouch puts Light to shame. And that's saying quite a lot.
    Higurashi - The first 4 episodes hold the honour of being the only anime to creep me out.
    Digimon - You know it's an awesome anime if it's the reason I started watching anime.

Dissapointed:
    Naruto - ... Dissapointed doesn't even come close to how I feel about this monstrosity.
    Lucky Star - This is entertaining... how?

RYOUKI

survive the world.
    Years
    Kobato
    This was an anime you really had to like to sit through. It's an adorable slice-of-life to me.
    Easily one of CLAMP's better works when you think in the more present-day context.
    Characters are lovable, and it's not uber confusing like Tsubasa. =3=;;
    I'm surprised that you think Kobato was an outstanding CLAMP work. Most people seems to hate it and dropped it on early episodes. Since you hated Haruhi, I figured you have a high standard in watching animes, lol. You're one confusing person.

Durarara. This anime,when first impression, I was like, meh. Well, I never really liked Baccano, It's not like I hated it, but I never liked it either. So when I heard it was a Baccano-look alike, I was like, no way. But what made me watch this anime was the Suzuhito Yasuda art. Maid Machinegun, Yozakura Quartet and Devil Survivor art was really, really good. So I thought I'll watch it just for the sake of the art. Never regretted it since.

Slapagnome

I is a sad kitteh D:
    Years
    Amazed:

Ah, My Goddess: When my friend was talking about this, for one, the name was just... Well, that was the first reason why I thought the anime would suck and then figuring out if was a romantic comedy, I was sold on the idea of hating it with a passion -.- After talking about this anime for going on months and months, I finally asked to borrow the first season and see why she loved it so much, and I can tell you, I seen why. This anime is so awesome, I fell in love with it, by far might become my fav. anime. It is funny and cute and just... Whoa... To me anyways, but hey, I am weird.

Death Note: I got to say, this anime blew me away... When on my old site, my friends where talking about it on our chat and I had no idea what it was about. Well, adult swim finally gets it on air and so I sit down and watch it and I love the ideal behind it. It just... I don't know how to say it, but just has that thing that catches me, not the idea about a note book of death, but just... that kind of intellect in this anime, the thought process involved, that is why I love it and why I believe it is an amazing anime.

Code Geass: Basiclly the same as Death Note, the reason I like it and everyhing.

I am falling asleep at the keyboard, I will edit this post tomorrow but for right now I am going to read and sleep.

Mika

もえじゃないも
    Years
    • Seen Feb 11, 2013
    Zoids Chaotic Century/Zoids Guardian Force

Easily the best anime I've ever watched. I own the DVD box set as well as a set of the entire series on my external harddrive. I watch it at least once a month [parts of it anyways] and I've got a good portion of the lines memorized. The plot, the characters, the way they handled the war; it's just absolutely incredible.

Sailor Moon R [Second Half with Chibi Usa and Dark Lady]

This is the first and only anime to ever make me bawl without some sort of warning. The realistic way the giant 20-episode-ish fight between Mamoru and Usagi was handled impeccably and, again, it has incredibly high replay value.

Air TV

The second anime to ever make me cry. I've never played the visual novel being that I run a mac for almost all of my daily activities and things like that but I've heard it's not as good. I dunno, the series made me bawl at the end because of how much I could relate to the characters. They weren't overdone in my opinion, they were done realistically. They didn't seem animated.

Gakuen Alice/Fruits Basket

We'll lump these two together because I have the same complaint. They were finished before the manga and the ending was rushed. Gakuen Alice's manga is bloody incredible and there's a reason Fruits Basket is as highly rated as it is. The Anime fails. Gakuen Alice didn't get to the most vital freaking plot point because they decided not to wait for the manga people to catch up. Fruits Basket took Momiji's German Heritage and flushed it and twisted the plot worse than 4Kids twisted the One Piece Opening. It's just bad and while I own the DVD set, I'm not really proud of that fact. At all.

Ground Defense Force: Mao-chan

This anime is a hoot. I rented it from the library and I got hooked to it. It's fuzzy feeling and cut into 15 minute episodes like Hanamaru Kindergarten which is another series I adore. It's good for when you need a laugh. The Cute Aliens must be destroyed!

Magical Girl Lyrical Nanoha

God this anime and all its arcs were amazing. Suffices to say this series holds a special place in my heart because of some friend memes that came out of it but this is the only other complete series I have on my external harddrive. I also have all the OSTs and the Sound Dramas. Wat. D: Vivio is adorable.

Yumeiro Patissiere

Another Shojou feel good anime, this one is about cake. Enough said.

A Sentence on Animes I really REALLY didn't like

Card Captor Sakura Season 1

The episodes were dull and boring. I loved seasons 2 and 3, 1 got sooo old so fast. xx;

Bleach/Naruto

Filler Arcs.

Gundam Seed

Gundam pilots are manly men who are not Ken Barbie Dolls.

Haruhi in all its Forms

Haruhi needs to be hit by a bus.

Death Note Anime

The Live Action was so much better u_u;;

The Ojamajo Doremi Dub

The only thing it did right was bring the mahou toys to the US.

institutions

ain't that a kick in the head?
    Years
    I don't watch much anime unless it's on adult swim. I like anime and everything, but not enough to actually go search for it on the internet and stuff.

Amazed:
    FLCL - Epic characters. Loved this one. Nostalgia of watching with an old friend, too.
    Death Note - The only anime that I watched entirely in Japanese before the english dubs were aired in the states. Light ftw. I bought a replica death note online from 399animeshop, although it just collects dust now.
    Code Geass - Very exciting anime. Every episode = cliffhanger? I seriously almost couldn't wait for the next week's episode to see what happened next.
    InuYasha - That was when I was young and didn't realize how lame it really was...Stfu.
    Cowboy Bebop - Awesome theme song, well, just awesome music altogether. Spike was the man.

Disappointed:
    SD Gundam - WTF??? Midget Gundams, really?
    Any Dragonball past Z. I really didn't like anything after the Cell Saga anyway, though.

^I agree that the Live Action Death Notes were better than the anime. I still love the anime to death though.

Jado

Two cookies for Dane <3
    Years
    Recently, I watched the first five episodes of Hunter x Hunter. Considering I am a big fan of Yu Yu Hakusho, I was expecting to be just as impressed (if not more-so) with this series. However, it turned out to be a joke. From what I have seen of Hunter x Hunter, it has a boring plot completely lacking in action and drama. Most of its characters are also awful. In particular, Gon is an incredibly bland character without any personality. The only one who I do not dislike is Leorio, but even he is not that great (more like he is just tolerable).

Perhaps Hunter x Hunter does get better later on. However, if the show failed to impress me in five episodes, chances are I will never grow to like it. After all, most of the anime I have seen had me sold with a single episode, including Yu Yu Hakusho.

Mika said:
    Death Note Anime

The Live Action was so much better u_u;;
    I thought Light and Misa were more likable and better developed in the Live Action Death Note films than they were in the anime (though I agreed with Light's ideals in both the anime and Live Action films, I thought he was under developed in the anime). Other than that, I preferred the Death Note anime over the Live Action Death Note films. The first film was great. While the first half of the second film was excellent, the second half moved at a snail's pace and had a terrible ending. The ending would have been better if Light defeated L like he did in the anime series. If that happened, the third film could have dealt with Mello and Near trying to defeat Light instead of L being reduced to an idiot riding around on a bicycle in broad daylight while cliched ecological environmentalists intent on destroying the world are plotting to kill him (plus, a Live Action version of Mello would have been teh sex :)).

Overall, I hated the third film. It was supposed to better develop L's character (which I wanted to see since I found him unimpressive in both the anime and Live Action films), but it turned out being utter garbage >_>

Loki said:
    The Melacholy of Suzumiya Haruhi
    I went into this hoping I'd come out an avid Haru-fan.
    I left an avid Haru-hater.
    The series in general isn't so bad, but I just can't stand Haruhi.
    I have only seen clips of The Melancholy of Haruhi Suzumiya. From those alone, Haruhi completely turned me off from the series. I could not stand anything about her. Why she has so many fans is beyond me. Then again, maybe people just find obnoxious female leads appealing. This would also explain why Lina Inverse from Slayers and Akane Tendou from Ranma 1/2 also have many fans.

ThatsTakao

Hiya!
    Years
    Amazed me: Tengen Toppa Gurren Lagann, I thought the plot was amazing, hadn't watched anything like it, I loved the characters, the anime hooked me very quickly.
    ToraDora!: I watched it RAW, so I didn't understand ALL the jokes, but I still found this to be hilarious, unique, imo, and just.. I loved it. I need to get around to finishing it, as its been.. a year since I stopped. :<
    Konjiki No Gash! (Manga) : THIS MANGA IS SO GOOD. Despite being a typical Shounen manga, I loved how the characters developed and interacted with one another. Raiku (Manga-ka), made all the death scenes really touching, and that was another thing I loved about this manga (Even though they mademe cry ;; ).
    Soul Eater: I haven't read or watched it in a year and I don't remember why, to be honest. ;; But I have three volumes and almost the entire series downloaded, which means I liked it. xD"

Dislike: Bleach: ... it was boring, I found it stupid and just... crappy. :/
    Bokurano: I don't know, I like this series, yet I hate it. I thought it was pretty unique, but the way the series progressed and the characters dying.. I didn't find it very enjoyable. ._.
    Konjiki No Gash! (Anime) : ... Way to steer away from the manga. :C It ended completely differently from the manga and not in a good way. It was such an expected ending I felt that I didn't even have to watch episodes 2-149 because I already knew exactly how it was going to go. .-.
    Death Note: .... God, this is so overrated. It does NOT deserve all the praise it gets, sure its an okay anime, but I thought it was just... stupid. "ohai i kill u w/ my notebook lol"

Chad -

Years
    • Seen Aug 27, 2012
    Animes that amazed me:

Great Teacher Onizuka
    Death Note
    Full Metal Panic
    Pokemon
    Digimon
    - and many more

Animes that disappointed me:

Bleach
    Dragon Ball Z
    Naruto
    Nyan Koi!
    Gundam Seed

Ichigo_Kurosaki

*Cuts in half*
    Years
    Whats with all the hate on bleach????

Amazed:
    Bleach
    Fairy Tail

and those are really the only animes I've ever really gotten into.

*goes bankai and Getsuga Tenshous all who were disapointed with Bleach*

LilacArcanine

Aiber Enthusiast
    Years
    Death Note. I'd assumed by its HUGE fanbase that it was just another stupid shonen thing all the girls loved. Instead, I loved its intricate, original plot, the characterisation and art. It blew me away.

Ricochet Orange

The one who needed a new forum
    Years
    Code Geass. Freaking amazing. My favorite anime currently. I was in amazement through the whole thing.

Years
    I really liked:
    Jigouku Shoujo, really nice episodes, heck they can teach you a lesson
    Ranma 1/2, lol very random stuff but really hilarious
    Detective School Q, very nice show as well.
    Sgt. Keroro, again very funny

I hated:
    Lamu, it's so stupid it's not even funny

Neiko Star

Dancing rain
    Years
    • Seen Nov 18, 2012
    Amazed:

D.Gray-Man: I just clicked on it randomly for fun on onemanga because I found the name weird. When I saw the cover page I thought it was going to be another martial arts thingy. It's currently one of my favorite animes.

Law of Ueki: Well, I don't know exactly where, but I had heard about it and I had a vague picture of a light green-haired kid in a white school shirt in my mind, and I knew that he had the power to turn trash into trees (which I found...strange) and that he was participating in some tournament to decide the next god. But I'd thought that the participants were the ones trying to become God...I don't know where I got all this information, but I was really surprised when I actually watched it. I wasn't too sure about it after I'd finished episode one, but now I'm really glad I continued it. It's exactly the kind of anime I love. Tournament, super powers, supernatural, comedy, action, shounen...perfect for me. Yes, I know the plot is pretty un-original and the characters are cliche and all, and that the graphics aren't exactly top-notch and that there isn't really anything that makes it special. But the battles are just awesome and the anime is just fun to watch, even if it you might find it a bit childish. Currently one of my favorite animes. Oh, and I love the openings~

Disappointed:

Night Wizard: Only seen a couple of episodes, but so far it's failed to grasp my interest. Maybe I'll think differently if I watch more.

otakulily

Pokemon is okay, I guess.
    Years
    • Seen Jul 25, 2014
    Angel Beats is god awful.

Easily one of the most looked-forward-to anime of 2010. I mean with KEY on staff, how could it not turn out amazing? As much as I love KEY's anime, I can not bear to think what will become of this series. First episode, where expectations are held the highest, had the animation of a 2005 series. The story made absolutely no sense. No backstory. No character development. And awful character design. Yuri is a purple-haired clone of Haruhi. She even retains the bossy attitude and everything. The visuals were not much better. So poorly animated, it almost looked as though it was tossed together last minute. Thier entire budget was pretty much spent on one concert scene, and it wasn't even that good. And it was rediculous to choreograph a fight scene to J-Pop. Modern anime has left me in despair once again. Way to go Aniplex. >:

RYOUKI

survive the world.
    Years

Easily one of the most looked-forward-to anime of 2010. I mean with KEY on staff, how could it not turn out amazing? As much as I love KEY's anime, I can not bear to think what will become of this series. First episode, where expectations are held the highest, had the animation of a 2005 series. The story made absolutely no sense. No backstory. No character development. And awful character design. Yuri is a purple-haired clone of Haruhi. She even retains the bossy attitude and everything. The visuals were not much better. So poorly animated, it almost looked as though it was tossed together last minute. Thier entire budget was pretty much spent on one concert scene, and it wasn't even that good. And it was rediculous to choreograph a fight scene to J-Pop. Modern anime has left me in despair once again. Way to go Aniplex. >:

What are you talking about? Angel Beats has one of the most amazing animation this season. When I was watching Ichiban Ushiro, I thought that was a 1980's anime. Besides, it's only the first episode. Like in my first post, Saki has a crappy first episode but turned out worth your time. If you think that's bad, watch Kaichou wa Maid-sama, J.C. Staff let me down, in term of animations at least.

Anyways, anime that amazes me was last season's Ladies vs. Butler. I expected it to be mindless ecchi, which it was, but it's like a super-perverted Toradora. It's like... Nyan Koi with more boob shot or something. Nevetheles, I watched it, dropped it, and currently watching and loving it.

kohei

Pizzaman.
    Years

I'm with you on this one. I dislike judging anime with just one episode alone, but wow, it was a let down.
    Didn't the director say something along the lines of "the first episode WILL get you hooked on this series!" in an interview? He lied to us all.

As for Ichiban ushiro no Maou, I found it much more entertaining because I never had any high expectations for it. It fills the void of Kampfer, but judging with episode one alone, is a "better Kampfer."

otakulily

Pokemon is okay, I guess.
    Years
    • Seen Jul 25, 2014
    What are you talking about? Angel Beats has one of the most amazing animation this season.
    2 minutes into the first episode and this pretty much sums up my thoughts on the anime.

Animes that amazed/disappointed you.

Yes, I know. This girl really knows how to use a rifle.

I was just terribly annoyed with the animation. I realize that different teams are working on this project (as opposed to the animation studio for most of KEY's works), thus inevitably different animation styles, but the animation was just really cheap-looking. Bow down to P.A. Works and all it's glory.

Back