• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Animes that amazed/disappointed you.

kohei

Pizzaman.
Years
  • Supporting Angel Beats: lol she's a school girl-ghost thing. School girls don't know how to use rifles, amirite.

Against Angel Beats: Episode 2 wasn't all that special either, not really looking forward to episode 3... seriously, why am I watching a boring series? Just because of "Key" in the credits?

RYOUKI

survive the world.
    Years
  • 2 minutes into the first episode and this pretty much sums up my thoughts on the anime.

Animes that amazed/disappointed you.

Yes, I know. This girl really knows how to use a rifle.

I was just terribly annoyed with the animation. I realize that different teams are working on this project (as opposed to the animation studio for most of KEY's works), thus inevitably different animation styles, but the animation was just really cheap-looking. Bow down to P.A. Works and all it's glory.

Lol, crap. That was funny. I didn't notice that, but I don't pause and play. Well, I just hope it wasn't like Gurren Lagann, where the first 2 episodes was movie-like, and then comes the third episode.

twocows

The not-so-black cat of ill omen
    Years
  • Supporting Angel Beats: lol she's a school girl-ghost thing. School girls don't know how to use rifles, amirite.

Against Angel Beats: Episode 2 wasn't all that special either, not really looking forward to episode 3... seriously, why am I watching a boring series? Just because of "Key" in the credits?
    I don't know, I find it interesting. I like the characters, and I'm interested in seeing how they'll change. And despite what everyone else is saying, I love the animation.

crimsonstorm

The Original Crimson
    Years
    • WV
    • Seen Jun 3, 2011
    The 3rd Tenchi OVA series disappointed me. It wrecked the previous storylines horribly.

Chrom

green, green and essence
    Years
    • Seen Apr 20, 2010
    07-Ghost really disappointed me.
    I liked the setting, characters, and overall vibe of it but it was all ruined by DAT TERRIBLE ENDING.

BusterTheFox

Pokemon Intruder
    Years
  • I was dissapointed in...Full Metal Alchemist. It was okay, but it gets boring watching them do the same things over and over each battle. *clap* "my hand is a sword!" *clap* "I shoot stuff out of the walls at you! Oh, no! My fake arm broke! I'll have to get it repaired, AGAIN, but meanwhile, I'll just hit my dead arm to continue killing you with cheap tricks that I've always used!" *muffles clap*

MY favorite anime is Zatch Bell...subbed. XD America kinda ruined the whole series. O_o

Wow, I sound like a hater. XP

tnguye3

Very, very, very lazy spriter.
    Years
  • Impressed:
    Fate/Stay Night - At the beginning the story was pacing really slowly, but later the story hooks me up and just doesn't let me go, and the fact that main characters die gives me more "thrill", like, for example I'm watching an episode and I see Rin in trouble (She's one of my favourite characters! xD) and I'm like "No, don't die, don't die!". It's also a Romance anime, so I thought that the main character would be the usual dumb and shallow hero that blushes and nosebleeds everytime he's close to a girl, but I was wrong - well, it wasn't a harem, but at that time I didn't know what harem was. xD

Angel Beats! - What can I say, it just grabbed me and I can't seem to stop watching it! The graphics are stunning and I get a "different" feel watching this. Waiting another week for one episode is like waiting 1 month...

Dissapointed:
    Ichiban Ushiro no Daimaou - The first episode was amazing, again the visuals took me away, I could straight away tell it's a harem, but the main character wasn't really dumb, at least not as much as other characters in harems I see. Well, the animation in the first episode was top notch and the action was amazing! The first episode was so good, which gave me hopes that the next episodes will have the same quality, however I was dissappointed with episode 2, because the animation looked flawed (battle with demon dog) and there were some "weird" bits in the drawings of the characters. The main character was also presented as a dumb character, at least if we compare him to his presentation in the first episode where he brings out this speech(He looked cool) or when he tried to take a low position in helping school (cleaning/mopping?) where he made this expression and stroke his hair, which usually the cool/player characters usually do.
    I just hope the next episodes get better.

pokemongarnet

CAT-BUS!
    Years
    • Seen Dec 13, 2016
    DBZ!!!!! was the best!!!!! Why would anyone hate or be dissapointed in DBZ.

(Dragon Ball Z)

jirachis_best_friend

Aura Hunter
    Years
  • There are toooo many anime that I have loved. I'll just name off my top 5. They are (always changing @3@ Hard to decide but for now...!):

Tengen Toppa Gurren Lagann: is very funny and very cute. I'm not so into mecha, but I fell in love with Kamina and Shimon, the way Shimon grows up into a leader after Kamina... no spoilers! I love Yoko, too<3 I love her so much! She's amazing~ She's pretty and can snipe! I'm afraid that if she was real she'd steal my boyfriend from me @3@ (Cuz he loves sniping in games and I can't snipe for donuts if I was starving) >m<

Lucky Star: Cute, fun, and a good look at just how weird otaku can seem<3 And I know the dance step-by-step!

NANA: AMAZED ME! I was obsessed with it<3 I looove the Nanas and I can relate to Hachi-Nana very well<3

Toradora: The little love scenes, and shyness, and all the fluff in this adorable anime won my heart over<3

xxxHOLiC: Amazing<3 an anime by my favourite manga-ka, CLAMP<3 can go from mysterious and tense to fluffy and funny in a flash, and it works<3 I love Watanuki and Yuuko-san, and I love how well Douneki and Watanuki-kun get along! (I actually love DoumekixWatanuki... I loves me sum yaois<3<3!)

Least favorite:
    School Days: Turned out to be too boring. The love story just wasn't simulating... wasn't exciting... it didn't make me blush and go 'Baaaaw, that's the cutest thing ever! How romantic!'. =3=

Tsubasa Chronicle: I don't not like it, but... the way they left out or changed alot in even just the first few eps really made me mad. I don't mind occasional fillers, and I don't mind some small unnoticeable chamges, but they barely stuck to the way the chapters were in the manga (for the few eps I HAVE seen) and I just stuck with the manga and loved every chappy of it. They made changes with xxxHOLiC, too, but they were good ones. Even slightly better than the manga. xxxHOLiC was done right<3

Clannad After Story: It just isn't as cute or fun or romantic after Nagisa... well... no spoilers. It's a little boring now, but I can't drop it for the sake of knowing how it ends.

And that's all I can think of. Other than Naruto. I loved it at first, but the manga has less fillers (anyone else sit through all of the fillers after Sasuke leaves, before Shippuden? Ugh...) The manga just progresses more smoothly without little breaks, and the flashbacks in the manga aren't an annoying half an ep (or chappy) long.

Loki

x
    Years
    • Seen Apr 4, 2024
    I'm surprised that you think Kobato was an outstanding CLAMP work. Most people seems to hate it and dropped it on early episodes. Since you hated Haruhi, I figured you have a high standard in watching animes, lol. You're one confusing person.

My tastes don't make any sense. xD
    I don't hate the series Haruhi in itself- I love Kyon, I think he's hilarious, and the idea/plot is fine with me. It's just Haruhi, the character, whom I hate, and who prevents me from finishing the series.

And it's not really something that a lot of people would like, in my opinion. It's slow, it's boring, but for someone like me who adores all kinds of slice-of-life... Like Working!! I love, even though it has absolutely no connectivity and nothing particularly exciting ever happens. I like it when the world isn't about to end every arc.

I have a very very low standard in anime. xD I don't watch enough of it to have high standards, but I know enough to be able to tell when the animation is good or bad.

Kotowari

Will be back eventually
    Years
  • Hmm, I'm a little surprised that no one mentioned Seirei no Moribito (Guardian of the Sacred Spirit). I've seen the anime twice now, and I'm planning on watching it again. Not anytime soon though, since I have other business to attend.
    But I have little to no complaint about this anime. It's animation is great, the backgrounds are outstanding and the music takes you away. I have both OST's and I love 'm. But what's best of all is the combination of the characters and story. At first it might seem a little dull, a fighter who needs to protect a child. We've all heard that before, no? Yet the way they execute it is fantastic. The characters really carry the story, they are believable. And 26 episodes is exactly the right length for this anime. No fillers, no rushed episodes, no other tiny timing troubles.
    If I were to rate this anime I'd give it a 9,5/10. :3

Next in line is Macross Frontier.
    I'm usually not into the space-huge robot fighting stuff, but I really enjoyed this anime... and it even made me go "woah" at some point. The songs are really catchy. :'D
    But whether you find that a plus point or not is your call. Very good animation and nice soundtrack as well. Gotta love "Innocent Green" and "Michael's Theme" (it actually has another title, but I can't remember it completely)
    And I like Alto. :B Who is basically the whole reason I started watching this anime.
    Can't wait to see the movies~ : D

Rurouni Kenshin- Tsuiokuhen is another one of those anime that will never bore me. Strong story, decent animation and beautiful soundtrack, which only gets beaten by Seisouhen's. (My username comes from the OST). I like Seisouhen as well, much unlike a lot of Rurouni Kenshin fans. :B Though I heard some very odd things happened with the creation of these OVA's, I still love them.

Others that amazed me but that I'm not going to write a review about:

-Romeo x Juliet
    -Saiunkoku Monogatari
    -Shounen Onmyouji (I should continue reading the translations of the novels :0)
    -Kuroshitsuji
    -Sengoku Basara (Lawl! but good story and characters)
    -Fullmetal Alchemist (First Anime I saw besides Pokémon and Beyblade? :'D I went through the gate to Anime world!)
    -Fate/Stay Night (gotta watch that anime in one run!)

I'm gonna wait putting D.Gray-Man in the above list since I'm not that far yet (33), but from what I've seen, I love it. The Manga is on my "to-read" list.

Disappointed by:

Okay, what anime are on my "dropped list"?
    Naruto, if a story goes nowhere after 40 episodes... I give up.
    Death Note. Didn't really disappoint me, just not my piece of cake.
    Code Geass 2. For some reason I stopped watching it. And I don't stop watching anime without a good reason. >:

Vapore

Simple to the Core. ♥
    Years
  • Most Impressed with:
    One Piece -
    I first saw the manga in Shonen Jump. I was a subscriber so, wanting to get my money's worth, I read everything in the "magazine," including One Piece. However, as soon as I saw the poorly dubbed cartoon on TV, I stopped reading. A couple of years later [last summer lol] I was bored. I was caught up with all of my manga so I decided to find an anime to watch for the hell of it. I don't know why I chose the subbed version of One Piece but I did. And oh man, I have been hooked ever since. Although I still prefer to read than watch, One Piece has undoubtedly become my favorite anime/manga.

Full Metal Alchemist - I love this anime. I think it may be the only anime that I like more than its manga counterpart. The dubbed version was good. The subbed version was downright amazing. The people giving the voices to the characters did such a great job and it really shows how much of a difference the correct voice overs makes when it comes to how well the anime is as a whole. I cried so much. It was awesome.

Disappointments:
    Naruto -
    As much as I liked it in the beginning when it first came out, both in manga and anime form, it went downhill so fast it wasn't even funny. Anime wise, what the hell is up with all the flash backs? We just saw this scene happen a week ago, so why are you taking up the time allotted for this episode to show the same thing over again? And then again and again. Annoying much? The fillers were also a constant complaint I kept hearing about. Personally I didn't mind them much to start of with but then it just got to be ridiculous. I like getting to know characters, I really do but I don't want to keep waiting and hoping for the story to finally continue. That's not interesting to me. That's boring. Too sappy, too cliche. It makes me sad because it seemed like such a good story/concept/idea. ><;

Bleach - I don't know why but I never got into it for some reason ... Which is weird because I really thought and hoped I would but then .. I didn't? I tried watching it so many times but I either always fell asleep or the "dramatic/sad" parts bored me and made me feel like working out or going to do something else to distract me. When a person tries their best to get into an anime, constantly, and then cannot no matter what .. that my friends is disappointment. I don't even know why!

We all have different tastes. ^ ^; .. I'm really sorry if I said anything to offend anyone, like die-hard fans.

Chiku Hamasaki

-う ち は オ ビ ト-
    Years
  • Amazed;

Kimi ni Todoke

Tora Dora!

Naruto

Detective Conan

Lovely Complex

Disappointment;

Sailor moon ;___;

Bleach

Full moon wo sagashite - I wanted a better ending! D:

otakulily

Pokemon is okay, I guess.
    Years
    • Seen Jul 25, 2014
    Reading through this thread reminded me of Clannad AS. ;__;

As much as I hate saying this, I have to say, Clannad After Story had one of the most disappointing endings I have ever seen. Everything leading up to the last episode was fantastic. Honestly as gripping and emotional as anime can get. It is a masterpiece - a drama that would make anyone cry tears of sadness and of joy. I just didn't like the way it ended. The last episode was just so out of place. Everything leading up to that point was just so real. The beauty of the anime was in its ability to inflict real emotion. The otherworldly plot twist was just terribly misplaced. It just didn't work. It completely destroyed the mood of the series in a single moment. They really could have done a better job. I do realize it wouldn't have been a happy ending if they excluded the last few scenes. But at least it would have been a good ending. It would have ended leaving a real impression. Things were already headed in such a bad direction that a such an unnatural ending would have completely thrown everything off couse. I really would have preferred a sad ending as opposed to the plot twist they decided to toss in.

Okami Chi

El Guitar Man~
    Years
  • I started watching Naruto from the first episode yesterday. I got all the way to episode 14, and I must say...WOW. I mean just a plain amazing anime. I mean just a very well done anime. Great plot, amazing fights. Oh and unlike many people Naruto is actually my fav. character in the show.

Porygon-Z

Silph Agent
    Years
    • Seen Aug 17, 2010
    An anime that amazed me was "Beck"
    I got really wrapped up in it and watched the whole series in like 2 days! It was awesome and the music was really good too! Just don't watch the dub under any circumstances only watch the subbed version!

An anime that thoroughly disappointed me was "Psychic Academy"
    It had such a cool name and I thought it would be all cool with cool powers and stuff but it was just about some overly sensitive pre-teens and their sucky love triangle of fail!!

chicanery

is this youth?
    Years
  • i reaaallyy wanna watch Beck, but i can't seem to find it on the internet and i have no idea where i would find it it real life ndslfkjs :c

it isn't an anime, but the Tsubasa manga became so completely derailed near the end i just want to forget i ever read it :c m-man, it started out fine, but thinking back past even the halfway point of the series just leaves a big question mark ughhh

Finnel

Years
  • An anime that amazed me was "Beck"
    I got really wrapped up in it and watched the whole series in like 2 days! It was awesome and the music was really good too! Just don't watch the dub under any circumstances only watch the subbed version!
    Really? I haven't seen much of the dub, only various clips. But from what I've seen, the dub actors can actually sing pretty damn good, and of course there wasn't any terrible Engrish in the songs with English lyrics.

RuRuBell

Beeef
    Years
  • I'm surprised no one's mentioned Haibane Renmei...by far the best anime I've ever seen. It was so beautiful. The art, tone, characters, and I could go on forever about how good the soundtrack is. It's sad that a lot of people snub it because there's no cute, big chested heroine, no gun fighting scenes, or anything like that...

The story takes time to develop, but once it gets there, it's really amazing.

I also love Michiko to Hatchin. Characters and story are unique interesting. I love the art style, too. The show is hilarious and keeps me on the edge of my seat, a very fun and quirky watch.

Kuuchuu Buranko: Haven't really watched a lot of it yet, but I can already tell that it's awesome.

Di Gi Charat: Okay, not the best anime...but it's one of my guilty pleasures. It's one of the first anime I got into when I was young, so it's special to me.

Aoi Bungaku: I watched the No Longer Human portion of it. The character is both pitiable and easily related to. I also liked the style of artwork they used, I think it suited the dark tones of the anime (rather than using, say, a style like CLAMP).

Sayonara Zetsubou Sensei: A friend introduced me to this. I thought it was going to be a stupid, fails-to-be-funny anime. Well, I was really impressed. I love the humour they use, the characters, everything.

The Not-So-Good:

Hyakko: I don't know why I started to watch this, considering I don't like the whole 'School life with cute girls doing quirky stuff' things, like Lucky Star or K-ON, but I guess I wanted somewthing light-hearted and fun. Didn't like it. The story never really got anywhere, the characters were boring and cliche (except for the girl who likes to eat, forgot her name), and the art/animation was really mediocre.

School Days: I actually saw the ending of School Days first, which got me interested in it. But watching it from the beginning is a really hard task. Boring, boring, boring. As it progresses, you want to facepalm. There characters act stupidly and deserve the consiquences of their actions.

Elfen Lied: Well, I just have a really weird love/hate relationship with the manga Elfen Lied. I felt that it had a lot of potential, but there weere too many things that weren't done right. The anime takes a step even further into the bad catagory. While I can say a few good things about the manga, there is nothing I liked about the anime at all (apart from the fact that I liked its opening song).

Higurashi no Naku Koro Ni: This was also recommended to me by a friend. I was really into the first two arcs (Rena's door scene thoroughly creeped me out), but after that it got boring and predictable. Higrashi, like Elfen Lied, tries too hard to be 'scary' and 'intense' by using mindless blood and violence; after you watch a few episodes, though, you get used to it and it fails to be shocking anymore. Once you get over that, there isn't much left: extremely annoying and stupid characters (main guy in particular), friendship speeches (we can do anything as long as we believe in each other!), and bleh art.

Persona: Trinity Soul: As a Persona fan, I was a bit disappointed by this. Seemed like an extremely beefed-up shonen version of the games I love. I found it really boring, couldn't make it through the first few episodes. Maybe I should try watching it again.

And of course, whatever's popular with the 13 year old boys now (Naruto, Bleach, Inu Yasha, etc).

Back