• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Another "If Pokemon were Greek gods" Thread

TheMuffinBadger

Nico di Fangirlo
Years
  • I know there are already numerous threads on this topic, but more information is always nice.

So I'm asking you guys this. If Pokemon (NOT legendary Pokemon, I'm looking for regular Pokemon) were Greek gods, what would they be? I'm not just talking about the twelve main Olympians, I'm including any minor god. I currently can relate a few of them to the main Olympians, here's a list.[/SIZE]

Zeus: Raichu or Jolteon. Perhaps Manectric, since it has a Mega Evolution.

Poseidon: This is a toughy. I've narrowed it down to two suitable Pokemon: Swampert and Empoleon. Empoleon is a popular choice because of its tridents and stuff, but look again at Poseidon's information. Poseidon is the god of water and earthquakes. And Swampert is half Ground type, with a notably high attack stat, making Earthquake a good move for it to have. I really don't know which one to choose.

Hades: Ah, here we go. Hades is by far my favorite Greek god, and I've thought long and hard about this one. Giratina can't really be Hades because he was "banished for his violence," and Hades wasn't violent. Besides, Giratina's a legendary. I think Hades should be Dusknoir, because of Dusknoir's relation to the Underworld in his PokeDex entries. It's not a perfect fit, as many of its entries say that it takes people to the Underworld, like Thanatos, but I think Dusknoir is very godlike and worthy of being one of the three elder gods.

Hera: This one's a bit obvious. Hera is the queen of the gods and Zeus' favorite wife. Not his only wife, his favorite wife. As such, Hera was often jealous of Zeus' other wives, and on numerous occasions took her anger out on them. Nidoqueen, well, has the word "queen" in her name. And one of Nidoqueen's abilities is Rivalry. I think she'd be an excellent match for Hera.

Hephaestus: Hephaestus is the god of fire and the forges. Thrown off of Mount Olympus by Hera at birth, Hephaestus is disfigured and rough. Arcanine has that nice firey look to it that Hephaestus should have, as well as being grizzly and intimidating in appearance. Plus, in Pokemon, Fire is one of the only types with an advantage over the mighty Steel type. Fire controlling steel? Ring a bell?

So, can you guys think of any more?

Years
    • they/them
    • Seen Dec 11, 2023
    Rather than basing it off their elements and their role as a god I kind of also like to base the gods off of what animals they rule over. So taking a bit of a different direction than you as a forewarning! Though for some I'll go ahead and do it via their role as well especially since some don't have an animal as a symbol.

Zeus - Braviary. Zeus' animal is the Eagle and so what is any more perfect than the Pokemon based off of one.

Poseidon - Kingdra. Forget Disney's Hercules (because it is so very wrong when you compare it to actual Mythology). Poseidon is the creator of Horses. Kingdra is a Sea Horse so it works. Also because of the Mythological creature the Hippocampi.

Hera - Bit of an odd one. Her animal symbol is a Cow so the obvious choice (basing it off their animals) would be Miltank.

Ares - I think I'll have to go with Mandibuzz for his. I just don't feel like any of the dog Pokemon would suit him (Houndoom would suit Hades more in general as example) but since his bird symbol is the Vulture we'll go with that. Mandibuzz looks fierce anyways.

Athena - Noctowl of course. :b Though I would also like to say Aegislash might fit. Another symbol of hers is a shield, she is the goddess of wisdom/war and you certainly need to know what you're doing in order to use Aegislash properly.

might do some more later but hhh i need to head to sleep

Last edited:

TheMuffinBadger

Nico di Fangirlo
    Years
  • I never thought of it that way. The Kingdra-Poseidon thing's really clever. But like you said, trying to relate Pokemon directly to the gods' symbols causes problems if we don't have the animal. Aphrodite's symbol is a dove, and the closest thing we have to a dove is a seagull. I just prefer relating their roles in nature and elements to Pokemon. Your way's really good as well, like I said. I spent like five minutes just staring at the seahorse-Kingdra thing and going "OHHHHHHHHHHHH." XD

I also have one for Ares, without going directly to its symbol.

Ares: This one's easy. Ares is the god of fighting, war, and, oddly enough, agriculture. Breloom is one of the only three Fighting/Grass types in the game, Chesnaught and Virizion being the others. It could be any of those, but Breloom is my favorite of the three.

And Hera is quite a cow, isn't she?

Years
    • they/them
    • Seen Dec 11, 2023
    Well we do have Pidove I suppose. And for a Goose (since that is another albeit less common sacred animal of hers) there's Swanna. A little stretch since Swanna is well... a Swan but just look at how it holds itself. Very... Aphrodite haha.

I also suppose Aphrodite could also be Roserade as well? Or Luvdisc loool

And Hera really is a cow I will agree with that!

It's more on the Roman side of things than on the Greek side but a Pokemon for Pluto (Hades) could be Sableye! Since his Roman counterpart is the God of Wealth and Sableye is a Dark/Ghost Pokemon with gems on it.

TheMuffinBadger

Nico di Fangirlo
    Years
  • Sableye's typically related to gemstones, yeah. It is a dark type, but it's not related in the slightest to the underworld. I'm asking for a lot when I want a Pokemon that's directly related to hell, but still. I prefer Dusknoir.

What about one for Hermes? Oh, and I'm also including titans. I have an Umbreon named Atlas.

Jack

ego
    Years
    • Seen Mar 25, 2020
    I dont know..

I always thought of Ares as Machamp.

Mainly because Machamp always represented fighting in general because of it's character and its design. Machamp is pretty much the posterboy for the fighting type imho.

Years
  • Well we do have Pidove I suppose. And for a Goose (since that is another albeit less common sacred animal of hers) there's Swanna. A little stretch since Swanna is well... a Swan but just look at how it holds itself. Very... Aphrodite haha.

I also suppose Aphrodite could also be Roserade as well? Or Luvdisc loool

And Hera really is a cow I will agree with that!

It's more on the Roman side of things than on the Greek side but a Pokemon for Pluto (Hades) could be Sableye! Since his Roman counterpart is the God of Wealth and Sableye is a Dark/Ghost Pokemon with gems on it.
    Actually, my main sableye is named Hades :P, but I agree that cannot be sableye.

Here are the pokemons I think it would be nice as Greek Gods or Nordic Gods

Sableyes can represent Loki, thanks for his ability of prankster (and move trick) (his shiny form is green like loki in the movie) and being annoying in combat

Poseidon: I honestly like all your options, but I will go for Jellicent. His designs are very close to Poseidon imo. The blue and the beard that Jellicent has it just make him look like Poseidon.

Lopunny or Milotic: This pokemon can consider as Aphrodite, this is mainly because Lopunny is like a beauty pokemon and its sexiness is just too sexy :P. Milotic is also a good viable option to be Aphrodite since it is related with beauty. It needs to feel pretty to evolve. Note that Aphrodite born from Uranus -you know what-

Hera or Gaia: Somehow, I always consider Hera as god of earth. Lilligant is an elegant Pokemon with her flower crown. Being glass type, she can also represent as Mother Earth (Gaia). Another good option that could represent Hera is Gardevoir because .... (in development)

Nyx: I believe Gengar can represent as Nyx. Nyx is the goddess of night, and she can be found in the shadows. Gengar has really close stuff related with the shadows.

Hades: Spiritomb can be consider as Hades because Spiritombs punishing spirit in which is really close related with Hades' underworld and spirits. I do agree with Dusknoir being Hades too.

Zeus: Although, Thurnadus-T is a legendary pokemon. He is the only pokemon that can represent Zeus imo.

Apollo: I will make a twist here, Lillgant again, because Liligant can learn various dance move I think she can be consider as Apollo despite of being a female pokemon and apollo is male. Apollo is consider the god of "sun, truth and prophecy, healing, plague, music, poetry, and more." This really suits Lilligant since she is also related with the sun, dance, music.

Chaos: Arceus
    HANDS DOWN

Hermes: Pelipper can be a good option to be Hermes. I chose Pelipper because in mystery dungeon pelipper role was a messenger which is probably Hermes job as a god.

I included Chaos gods

Last edited:

TheMuffinBadger

Nico di Fangirlo
    Years
  • I got some more.

Apollo: Apollo is the sun god, and we have a very small list of Pokemon related to the sun. Solrock is one choice, but it's Rock type. Heliolisk is Electric. Volcarona, however, is said to have been born from the sun. And it's Fire type. :3

Thanatos: Thanatos is the god of death. I've always seen Honchkrow is a giant, badass deathbringer bird, mainly because of its appearance, Dark type, and incredible ability to sweep when holding a Life Orb, an item that drains a Pokemon's life. Yeah.

PumpJack

Gentleman Thug
    Years
  • I always thought it'd make more sense to have the Pantheon as trainers with appropriate pokémon- rather than try to fit their characterization onto a single one.

After all- the old gods are rather multifaceted- and while they do tend to have one stronger aspect that people associate them with- they rule over a great many things.

Years
  • I actually named my Blastoise Triton in Pokemon Y, who was the son of Poseidon, and the messenger of the sea. That name might be better suited for a Pokemon like Vaporeon or Golduck though, as I'd think they'd make better messengers than a Blastoise. I could also see a Bellossom or Lilligant as Demeter, who is the Greek goddess of plantlife and harvest.

Back