• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Another one of those "Windows/Mac/Linux" comparison threads

Preferred OS?

• Total voters

Beachcomber

Wandering Again
Years
    • NC
    • Seen Jun 27, 2013
    I like all 3 tbh xD Linux wins out for me though simply because it's free. Debian is my favorite of all the distros just because it's clean. There isn't a single thing on my Debian box that I didn't want on there.

However OS X is a close second simply because I can actually use my iDevices without them freaking right out like they do in Linux. Plus I just like my MacBook tbh.

But of course Windows will always be my workhorse and gaming horse. Not that I play that many games on computers at all anymore but still Windows blows everything else out of the water.

So yeah long story short I like them all tbh

Zet

Years
  • I grew up with Windows so my opinion is biased since I haven't had the chance to use OS X for more than hour. And I've tried Linux before but never quite got the hang of it.

Years
  • Linux (Ubuntu 12.04 RC, specifically). I have many reasons for this. Firstly, when I was born, my family used Red Hat, and Red Hat exclusively. Secondly, Windows crashes A LOT, is not user-friendly, and is vulnerable to viruses. Thirdly, though Mac is OK, you can't get it separate from the computer and Apple makes it so the price on those computers is too damn high. (*hint hint*) Fourth and least importantly, Linux is open source, unlike Windows and Mac.

Meganium

[i]memento mori[/i]
    Years
  • Answering my own topic finally :D

I've been a Windows user for practically all my life xD. Until, I transferred colleges in San Diego and took an intro to Linux class. I was introduced to Linux there and immediately fell in love with it. It became my primary OS during my time there, and it continues to be my primary OS today. Though, I still prefer Windows because there's a few programs you can't install on Linux, like Photoshop for example.

Linux is my favorite OS. Windows is a close second, but Linux just beats it. Mac, however...I have very little experience with the OS at this time, so I wouldn't give my opinion on it just yet.

Firox

eepz, come help pwease!
    Years
  • I've had experience with all three, so I think I can contribute.

I prefer Windows. I have more experience with Windows (through out the times I had Win 98 [uncle sold the computer], ME [OS failed after a power outage], 2000 [my uncle gave the computer to one of his friends], XP my current pc, Vista [which my grandma has, I gave it to her so she could play Solitaire and SNES Emulator]). If something were to happen (like virus, malware, or need to reinstall) to the pc I have slight knowledge on trying to make work again.

Back when Iwas in school around 2002 to 2006 my school had a Mac Lab, so I got the chance to try them out, but I found them to be too complicated, started loosing interest too quickly.

Originally when my Windows ME failed after a power outage [it showed the message Missing OS, and I had no installing disc, at the time my uncle had his Windows 2000], I had installed Linux, tried it out for a few months, it wasn't too bad, but at the same time, it was a bit complicated, especially installing games, the older 2004 games (at that time Hoyle Card Games, Board Games, and Sim City 3000 Unlimited)

Today, I have an older model of XP and my grandma has Vista. I kept XP since Sim City 4 works best on it. I'm saving money (around $30 US Dollars every month [now I have $90 US Dollars saved]) to buy a new pc, I really want to try Windows 7 or 8 when I have saved enough.

Last edited:
    Back