• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Any boardgamers on here?

Years
    • Seen Jan 5, 2014
    Are there any board game fans on here? I only became interested in them around May of this year and my collections still quite small at the moment. (I have 7 games and my boyfriend has 5.)

I've played the iOS versions of a few board games and I prefer playing actual board games, but as most of our group wouldn't be up for the likes of Le Havre just yet, the iOS versions are a lot better than not being able to play them at all. :)

Years
    • Age 29
    • Seen yesterday
    Oh, I love board games. :P Most recently played King of Tokyo, it was so much fun - I'd definitely recommend it if you guys are in to board games. It's a lot more fun with the expansion packs, though.
    I also prefer actual board games, they just lose something when they're digitized.

pokemasta92

3rd Gen. Enthusiast
    Years
  • I love board games such as Clue and Monopoly. I'm not a fan of the new board games that use fake debit/credit cards instead of money though. It's cool because it's a new feature and more modern, but nothing beats the feeling of landing on Free Parking and collecting that sexy orange $500 bill! Yeah that's right, we put a $500 on Free Parking in my family plus any money lost from Chance/Community Chest cards. We also pay double for landing on GO!

Years
  • Board games just aren't the same when they aren't played with an actual board.

I know all the classic ones like chess and Monopoly, but some that are more obscure I've started to play, like Settlers of Catan. I like that one because it's pretty simple once you get started and it's a different game every time because of how you set the board up. That keeps it interesting.

pompayyy

Forever and Ever
    Years
  • God, I love board games with a burning passion. I've never gotten into those tabletop RPG type things, but I love the classics. Clue is one of my favorite games of all time, and what I'd pay for there to be a real life version of it....

Years
  • Clue is one of my favorite games of all time, and what I'd pay for there to be a real life version of it....
    I've always wanted to try playing a board game with people for pieces, like chess, but I never even thought about something like Clue. That would be an experience. You'd have to change the rules a little, probably, and have a house large enough, but that would be a fun night.

TY

Board games... miss them so much. I can remember everyone raging at Monopoly while i had all the money xD

I have played Settlers of Catan aswell but i dont own it. I would love to own it though

MKGirlism

3DS and Wii U Game Developer
    Years
  • Yes, when Paper Prototyping (think of an actual game concept, but using paper, instead of Software).

Years
  • I'm fairly new to the tabletop scene, but I had fun playing these at a couple game nights:
    Ticket to Ride
    Last Night on Earth
    Cranium
    Zombies!!!

I tend to sit out on Civilization.

Oh, I love board games. :P Most recently played King of Tokyo, it was so much fun - I'd definitely recommend it if you guys are in to board games. It's a lot more fun with the expansion packs, though.
    I also prefer actual board games, they just lose something when they're digitized.

I saw King of Tokyo at Barnes and Noble and hadn't bought it. My friends said it was fun, and I'm glad to see another person agree. I still have to hold out on buying it because those aforementioned friends said they'd ship us a copy as a housewarming gift. :) Now to just find new people to play with haha

EDIT: Also does Dixits count as a board game? Because that was really fun.

LilyAnn

All your base are belong to us
    Years
  • I love boardgames. xD They were the best way for me to pass time as a kid. I still play them from time to time. Blue and Monopoly were some of my favorite ones.

Years
    • Age 29
    • Seen yesterday
    I'm fairly new to the tabletop scene, but I had fun playing these at a couple game nights:
    Ticket to Ride
    Last Night on Earth
    Cranium
    Zombies!!!

I tend to sit out on Civilization.

I saw King of Tokyo at Barnes and Noble and hadn't bought it. My friends said it was fun, and I'm glad to see another person agree. I still have to hold out on buying it because those aforementioned friends said they'd ship us a copy as a housewarming gift. :) Now to just find new people to play with haha

EDIT: Also does Dixits count as a board game? Because that was really fun.

Ooh, I love Ticket to Ride as well, haven't played that in a while. :P
    And that's nice of them, hope you like King of Tokyo!

Years
  • Ticket to Ride can get tricky if you're playing with certain people. D (my husband) is the type to try to mess you up. "I know you're going to need this two-train track, MINE!"

Years
  • I love Monopoly, but unfortunately I don't own a version anymore. I bought it on iOS and have had a blast with friends, though. My friends and I recently bought the World of Warcraft Monopoly game. So much fun.

I remember having the Pokémon(!!!) Monopoly as a kid and spending all night on Christmas Eve playing it with my mom and brother. I believe I was forced to surrender because it was 'getting too late, and Santa might not come if I was awake, playing Monopoly all night...'

Years
    • Age 29
    • Seen yesterday
    Ticket to Ride can get tricky if you're playing with certain people. D (my husband) is the type to try to mess you up. "I know you're going to need this two-train track, MINE!"

Well, that's the general strategy, my cousin's like that too. :P Sometimes I just get so absorbed in building my own tracks I forget to pay attention to what the others are up to.

I remember having the Pokémon(!!!) Monopoly as a kid and spending all night on Christmas Eve playing it with my mom and brother. I believe I was forced to surrender because it was 'getting too late, and Santa might not come if I was awake, playing Monopoly all night...'

I had that set too! Don't know where it is anymore, but man, it was the coolest thing when I was a kid. xD

Miracle Seed

Serpentine trainer
    Years
  • I try to get most of the special edition monopoly. I have Pokemon, Marvel, Nintendo, Star wars, and Lord of the Rings.
    I like playing Risk, checkers, and chess when I have the patience for it

Arma

The Hyena
    Years
  • Board games just aren't the same when they aren't played with an actual board.

I know all the classic ones like chess and Monopoly, but some that are more obscure I've started to play, like Settlers of Catan. I like that one because it's pretty simple once you get started and it's a different game every time because of how you set the board up. That keeps it interesting.
    Obscure?!? It's easily one of the most well known games around here! XD

Anyways, the Settlers is, and will always be, my favorite game. Unlike the majority of games I've played, each game is different, which allows for different strategies depending on the board. And because of that it will never get boring.

Are there any other games out there similar to the Settlers?

Silver Soul of Johto

Journey's end
    Years
    • Seen Apr 10, 2016
    I play some board games when I can...it seems like no one is into them anymore. I really like Trivial Pursuit. I kind of want to get one of those special edition versions

Years
  • My brother collects board games and plays them as a hobby. some of the best ones IMO are Ticket To Ride (best game NA), Settlers of Catan, and The Resistance. If you're looking for some good games to pick up, look for these. If you can't find them at local stores, order them online, as some of them are a bit obscure.

Years
    • Seen May 7, 2024
    Sometimes I end up playing Monopoly, Scrabble in really random locations...haven't really played it since I left Scouts. I used to play a lot of Chess when I was younger, was never outstanding, but was in the top half of my class (We had a little league going in primary school - it was compulsory but most of us actually enjoyed it). Haven't really played since I was about 13 though.

Back