• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

6th Gen Any Pokemon Coordinators Out There?

Years
    I didn't really see any thread about the contest at first glance so I figured I'd make my own and hoping there might be some other experienced coordinators.
    I spent all day yesterday getting pokemon to win the master rank for each category. It took forever but I finally did it! It was very nerve wracking and stressful but I am proud of myself. Now that I have done that I have to beat Lisia and Ali and this is the most frustrating contest I have ever tried! I can not seem to beat her altaria. I just wanted to know if anyone had some sort of advice if you have beat her.

Right now I am using my blaziken in a coolness contest. He can mega which gives me a little bonus but it just doesn't seem like enough. He is maxed out in red pokeblocks as well. His moveset is Flare Blitz, Sky Uppercut, Brave Bird, and Slash.

Last edited:

Altairis

take me ☆ take you
    Years
    I definitely used to be; however, I don't really participate much anymore :( I'm not sure why, but I think that I'm going to train a Pokemon for each contest (with moves that fit; I'm too hesitant to change the movesets of my battling Pokemon and most of them don't really work for contests) and try to conquer it eventually. I really liked Contests in previous generations.

Years
    I'm not really skilled enough to train for Master Rank given the higher ranks have opponents who pull off very nasty strategies to get the spotlight ahead of you. I do mainly only perform Normal and even Super Rank, and while I did beat Hyper in all categories just with Cosplay Pikachu, I'm not ready for the challenge that is Lisia.

I sometimes even have separate movesets on the dupes of the same Pokemon. Currently I now have two Sylveon, one for battling and one for Contests.

Years
    I definitely used to be; however, I don't really participate much anymore :( I'm not sure why, but I think that I'm going to train a Pokemon for each contest (with moves that fit; I'm too hesitant to change the movesets of my battling Pokemon and most of them don't really work for contests) and try to conquer it eventually. I really liked Contests in previous generations.

Ya that was also my problem. I mostly bred my pokemon for battling but not contest. Moves that are good in battle just don't match up with contest. The contest were always one of my favorite things in the older games as well. When they added contest again in the ds games I was actually pretty upset. I hated the idea of dressing pokemon and the other crap they had you do. I was so relieved they brought this back in the 3rd gen remake. I wish you luck on that 8D It will be so worth it in the end.

I'm not really skilled enough to train for Master Rank given the higher ranks have opponents who pull off very nasty strategies to get the spotlight ahead of you. I do mainly only perform Normal and even Super Rank, and while I did beat Hyper in all categories just with Cosplay Pikachu, I'm not ready for the challenge that is Lisia.

I sometimes even have separate movesets on the dupes of the same Pokemon. Currently I now have two Sylveon, one for battling and one for Contests.

Gosh the master rank are so obnoxious sometimes. There are a few I see regularly and I always hate them. Especially Trode the Electrode and Galaxy the Gyarados. He always has to go off with a hyper beam and startle me when I used a good move :l Honestly I have never used the cosplay pikachu. I really dislike pikachu as a mascot so I have this crazy idea of someday finding a pokemon I can use for every contest just like the cosplay pikachu because I want the cool little effect you get when one pokemon beats all the master rank. Maybe one day I'll be good enough to beat Lisia but I think I still have a lot to learn even if I did manage to beat the master rank.

I actually did the same thing for my Milotic XD I have one for battling and one for contest. I did manage to get a sylveon though as well and she got me my master rank cuteness contest c:

Last edited by a moderator:
    Years
    Gosh the master rank are so obnoxious sometimes. There are a few I see regularly and I always hate them. Especially Trode the Electrode and Galaxy the Gyarados. He always has to go off with a hyper beam and startle me when I used a good move :l

I heard loads of stories about that Gyarados being a nightmare, this is why if you're up against it it's best to have a move that causes you to move to the back of the line (such as Bide or Endure) on a turn it won't use Hyper Beam so that way you won't get startled if it does go for it next turn. Some opponents are even extremely hard to outsmart unless if you have a "defensive" move aka one that protects you from startling.

Even the lower ranks have some sneaky opponents, the Normal Rank has two big opponents I dread in Visikoth the Slakoth and Zoonby the Zubat. The former shows up in Cute, Tough and Beauty categories (I find it ironic he's in Beauty because his moveset doesn't have Beauty moves in it) and often tends to pull off Encore/Yawn a lot which means you could have a chance of being unable to make your move if he performs before you in that turn. Nervousness caused by those moves can really make or break your chance at doing well, as far as I know, so I always try to at least jump ahead of him when I can because getting nervous stinks badly. Also, if he uses Counter while at the back of the line the turn after he used Encore/Yawn, he somehow gets extra points aka the "combo" and that is what I always dread from him even more than the nervous-inducing moves.

Zoonby is also quite sneaky, and he only shows up in Beauty and Clever with a very naughty moveset that consists of two Clever moves (Leech Life, Confuse Ray) and two Beauty moves (Haze and Mean Look, the latter of which is another of those "nervous-inducing" moves similar to Visikoth's Encore/Yawn) and since Clever moves lower excitement in Beauty contests and vice-versa for Beauty in a Clever contest, I've had experiences where I was close to getting my talent to go off and he lowers the excitement which results in him stealing the spotlight from me.

There's also a Barboach that shows up in Super Rank Cute and Beauty who often gets pretty sneaky at times, especially with the fact one of her moves, Water Sport raises the excitement in any contest category. The fact she somehow times that strategy well often makes her steal the spotlight even when I had a good strategy in mind.

And don't get me started on Macherie (Chaz's Machoke) as well, since she has loads of nasty moves in the Super and Hyper Ranks. I recall some Super Rank Cool and Clever where she messed me up a lot.

Oblox

Pokemon Breeder
    Years
    • UK
    • Seen Jul 9, 2021
    Max out all the contest stats with rainbow blocks and then

'If a Pokemon's condition is nearly maxed out, take it to the Pokemon Fan Club in Slateport City. Show the Pokemon to the old man to receive a special scarf that will increase a Pokemon's condition when held. '

Equip the scarf and away you go. The only time I failed a master rank was when Lisias Dad was in it and damn that was close. Otherwise you barely have to do anything to win.

Years
    I'm not a coordinator by standards, but I have done one contest so far. It was kinda cool, and I won even though I thought I was going to fluke when I found out there were four rounds and not five. xP

Candy

[img]http://i.imgur.com/snz4bEm.png[/img]
    Years
    I thought ORAS used the 5-round system. :/

IDK man, I definitely ain't feeling the contest hype as I used to have back in the originals and DPPt, and I'm a fan of contests.

On that note: Calm Mind + Stored Power + Destiny Bond combo is a Smart-contest killer.

Reactions: Sun

Nidorina of Time Lord

Waiting for the Sun to come...
    Years
    I'm a bit of everything. I breed, battle and do contests. I have an Electrode who won coolness maser, but I haven't gotten to go up against Lisia and Ali yet. It is very difficult to find the perfect balance of moves for battles and contests.

Oblox

Pokemon Breeder
    Years
    • UK
    • Seen Jul 9, 2021
    It is very difficult to find the perfect balance of moves for battles and contests.

I didnt try, just swap out all moves for whatever contest type you're trying for. I did all my contests in fallarbor (i think thats what its called) so I could use TM's or move reminder guy to swap out.

Mawa

The typo Queen
    Years
    I was in the original games. Now I am not, but I want to, one day.. I already have a box of pokemons I'll use to the contests. I had hopes for the coordinators, I wanted so bad to have online contest!

antemortem

rest after tomorrow
    Years
    I was big into this in Emerald... but it got tedious for me in ORAS so I have yet to actually try and top the contest world. I might try and replicate my Master Ranked Swampert from Emerald some day, but I haven't touched the game in awhile so it's a ways off lol

Starry Windy

Everything will be Daijoubu.
    Years
    I do attend Pokémon Contests at times, and lately I've been using Victini, and won the Master Rank of Coolness, Beauty, and Cuteness contest. I'm still having lots to learn if it comes to Clever contest, though, because it's quite difficult to win it.

UPDATE: My Victini finally managed to win the Clever contest, in Master Rank, that is, and I'm challenging the Toughness Contest at the moment.

Last edited:

Sun

When the sun goes down...
    Years
    • Seen Jan 20, 2017
    I was an avid Coodinator, Contest Spectacular is more like a spook-tacular for me nowadays.

While PokéBlocks are easier to make, I miss the old method and the 'Gold PokéBlocks' from RSE. I also missed collecting the Ribbons during the RSE/DPt Coodinator days, now any Pokémon can simply waltz into the Master Rank. Whole thing just feels different now.

Not to mention May and Dawn from the anime were actually good motivators, despite the huge difference of Contest format between TV and games. It felt like when they were shining with their Pokémon on stage with their winning Ribbon, it makes you wanna collect Ribbons as well.

Oh and yes, Pokémon Contests were already just as hax as Battle Tower back when it first made its debut on RS, hahaha!

Back