• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Any Suggestions on a Book?

Empty Pot

a new beginning...
Years
  • So for the first quarter of my English course, we need to find a 300 page novel and do a 10 page project on it. The thing is, I find reading the most boring thing.
    I need some suggestions on what's a good book to get, possibly with a lot of blood and gore, or something based off a game (such as the Halo series). The only restriction is it needs to be 300 pages or more.
    Any suggestions would be nice guys. :D

Hantsuki

a little wolf inside a girl
    Years
  • Sounds like you might like Battle Royale by Koushun Takami. It's a dystopian novel with at least 600 pages, but it's a fast and interesting read. It's been adapted into a film and a manga if you want to check those out as well. If I had to sum it up, it's pretty much a Lord of the Flies meets The Most Dangerous Game with automatic weapons. If that doesn't catch your attention, I don't know what will.

Ayselipera

Well I can't say I've read any gory books so I can't help you there. My idea would be to probably read a book that has a movie with it. So if you really hate reading you also have the movie (though sometimes unreliable) + spark notes as a nice back up.

This may be a stretch, but the first Harry Potter book is only about 310 pages and the first movie is really close to the book. First two movies for that matter if you want to read the second book. After that new directors came in and adapted the stories for the movie rather then staying with the book.

Jack O'Neill

Banned
    Years
    • Age 34
    • Seen Jul 15, 2015
    I'd recommend some of Tom Clancy's earlier work, like The Hunt for Red October, Patriot Games, Clear and Present Danger, or The Sum of All Fears. They're all definitely over 300 pages (The Hunt for Red October is still 387 pages for the hardback, while the hardback of The Sum of All Fears tops out at 798 pages), and they're all guaranteed to be filled with violence (even if they do get bogged down in descriptions an awful lot).

If you're gonna go with the movie idea, keep in mind that the films tend to diverge significantly from the original books. You could devote a part of your project to that.

Years
    • Seen Nov 5, 2017
    The Holcroft Covenant by Robert Ludlum, if you're into novels about WWII at all.

Procession of the Dead by Darren Shan is one of my favourite novels. It's got a lot of violence, plot twists and supernatural elements. It's based in the modern world in a city full of crime and violence, if that's more up your street.

Empty Pot

a new beginning...
    Years
  • Sounds like you might like Battle Royale by Koushun Takami. It's a dystopian novel with at least 600 pages, but it's a fast and interesting read. It's been adapted into a film and a manga if you want to check those out as well. If I had to sum it up, it's pretty much a Lord of the Flies meets The Most Dangerous Game with automatic weapons. If that doesn't catch your attention, I don't know what will.

I went through the descriptions of each book and Battle Royale right up my alley. The intro has already kept me reading.

Thanks for the help everyone.(:

Back