• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Anybody else restricted due to lack of data?

LilBueno

Boy Wonder
Years
  • My wife and I unfortunately don't have much data on our cell phone plan. We were planning on increasing it but our excess money is going toward a new place. As a result, I pretty much only play at home and at work (don't tell my boss). We currently live in a small town so free wifi is rare aside from a few restaurants and one store. The game is still enjoyable but I haven't been able to hit up a gym yet! I'm going to look into making my old phone into a hotspot and see if that's an affordable solution.

Anybody else in a similar situation? How do you cope with it?

Years
  • How much data?

Because, contrary to popular opinion, PoGo actually uses very little data compared to most apps and games. You just might need to tweak the settings on your phone a bit.

Turn off all notifications (or at least what you can stand to have off) as these are often a large source of data, especially apps like Facebook and Twitter. Facebook has so many background processes running all the time I've actually found it advantageous to delete the Facebook app entirely and simply use my browser to check for updates.

I play Pokemon Go quite a lot, and following the above methods I've logged over 20+ hours on the game in the past two weeks and have only used 250MB's of data.

VisualJae

[size=1][FONT=Michroma][color=#a42525][b]Spam Hype
    Years
  • Yes, Sirindu is on point. Compared to other apps (at least for myself personally), Pokémon GO uses very, very little data.

I play GO a lot. I really do. But even with all the hours I sink into it every day, every week, the following apps still top it in my cellular history and I use these (other than email and browsers) much less frequently:
    - App Store
    - Chrome
    - Facebook
    - Gmail
    - Safari
    - Twitter
    - YouTube

Hiidoran

[B]ohey[/B]
    Years
  • Sorry, I have something near unlimited data, so I've never really paid that much attention to conserving it while playing. However, GO is never on the top of my data usage history either, as the others have said. I think people see large data usage and battery hog as synonymous, but that's not really the case here.

Still, if you have very little data to use, I guess it doesn't really matter if the app isn't using that much, huh? Unless your carrier has a really great deal on mobile hotspots, I wouldn't go with that option. They're usually rip offs in my experience, and you'll quickly burn through the extra data they allot you with it. Might be more economically suitable to just upgrade your data if you're truly looking to do something.

Years
  • I don't use data since I have WiFi at office and home. On hearing Pokémon GO's announcement a few months ago, I was ready to buy a new SIM card with a better data plan so that I could play the game. But GO wasn't all that it was hyped to be and I have stopped playing it entirely.

Sydian

fake your death.
    Years
  • My data must be unlimited bc I still haven't gotten a text like "hey asshole you're using too much data" and my mom hasn't whined at me like "omg u use all the data" so??? idk. I know that I've gotten in trouble for it in the past by only using things like Twitter, Instagram, etc but I haven't had this happen with Go yet. Shrug.

Back