• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

2nd Gen Anyone else start out with GSC?

Ho-Oh

used Sacred Fire!
Years
    • Seen Jul 1, 2023
    My first game ever was Gold. I was given that and a Game Boy at the same time. I only got the Kanto games later on. I don't remember how I got Gold or what happened back in those days... but one thing I remember is the feeling of exploring the tower and finding Ho-Oh, as I got my hair plaited. One of the best moments ever. SO COOL though legit one of the best areas in Pokemon ever. I even have a photo of it lmao. I was only like 9. :')

Years
  • I also started out with Gold version. I was given a secondhand GBA (the awesome clear purple one) and a Gold version cartridge and got immediately hooked. I still have a very clear memory of beating the elite four for the first time.

Right now I'm running back through Silver version on a beat-up old SP and it's reminding me how great Gen. 2 was!

Years
  • I didn't actually start playing the games until I'd leanred about ROMs and began getting them on emulator. The first pokemon game I played after that was Yellow, but the first one I played seriously was Pokemon Crystal. I freaking loved that game.

EC

Years
    • he/him
    • Seen Jul 1, 2022
    Even though I had Yellow before Gold, Gold is indeed where I started my addiction. Put so much time into that game.

Years
    • Seen Jan 21, 2024
    I had a copy of Pokémon Crystal as well as Pokémon Blue, I think Crystal was the first game that I played, my most vivid memory is having a really high leveled Meganium and while exploring I walked down route 46 back to New Bark town. I'll never forget having to restart the game as I didn't have Fly and I didn't defeat Clair so I would of had to trek all the way back to get my last gym badge. So instead I restarted the game and picked Cyndaquil.

Years
  • My first experience with the games was a Blue rom, on a floppy disk (I'm not even kidding!). I didn't really play it though, soon enough I owned a proper Blue game and that's where I really started playing.

However when Gold and Silver game out, my parents bought Gold for me and I guess I can say that's where the franchise started to really become a big part of my life. I also got Silver later on, but I didn't play it as much, and I somehow lost it later on.

Fun story about how I got Crystal: while I was out skating with my sister, I came across a bike with a GBC on the back, with the Crystal game in it. There was no one to be seen so I decided to take it. I still find myself wondering how I could have done that because I am not like that at all, especially as a kid I wasn't (I was 10 at or so the time). Shows how important the franchise is to me I guess, haha.

Anyhow, Gold has to be my favourite game of all time. So whereas I started playing during gen 1, it is gen 2 that got me hooked.

Years
    • Age 31
    • USA
    • Seen Mar 30, 2024
    Crystal was my very first video game! I had the opportunity to get a gen 1 game later, but my parents didn't let me. But I got a copy of Red in Japanese when I was in college decades later, though, and after playing through it it's safe to say I'm not bummed about not having played gen 1 when I was younger. There was just so much to the gen 2 games that I'm glad I got to experience them as a child, and to have Crystal as my first foray into gaming, which as a whole has shaped me majorly into the person I am today.

Years
    • Seen May 11, 2017
    I'm wondering if anyone else started their affair with the Pokemon franchise with GSC, perhaps later purchasing RBY like I did. Personally, I started with GSC, falling in love with Johto and later with Kanto. When I finished all three of GSC, I wanted to play more and bought RBY. The change in game mechanics were, however, very strange for me. Therefore, while RBY (and to an extent RSE) evokes a great deal of nostalgia in me, GSC will always hold the highest distinction for me.

Incidentally, that makes RSE the first Pokemon games for which I awaited the release, which gives all the early gens some significance for me.

What gen did you start with, if it wasn't Gen 2?

I could pretty much just copy and paste what you said here.

I watched the show, bought the cards and had books and stuff of the original 151 pokemon but I never played a game until Silver. When Cyndaquil evolved at level 14, I thought all Pokemon evolved at 14 so when Sentret didn't evolve, I figured it was a basic Pokemon.

I had some coloring books that had Hoot-Hoot, Snubbul, Maril, Wooper, Ledyba and a few others and was very exited to see what other kinds of Pokemon they would introduce but when the movie came out and they showed Donphan... wow! I don't even think they said it's name. It was so mysterious and cool. I'll always love 2nd Gen, probably the most.

Back