• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

4th Gen Anyone else unhappy with Lance and Red?

RioKura

Mapper
    Years
    • Seen Nov 21, 2010
    I thought that even with his new moves and more powerful Pokemon that Lance was more of a joke than a challenge the second time around.

I also beat Red with a team of Groudon Lv52, Kyogre Lv 60, Typhlosion Lv 50, Ho-oh lv 56 and Mewtwo lv 70. It was actually really easy. Groudon OHKOd Pikachu, Mewtwo took out Venusaur and Blastoise, Ho-oh annhilated Snorlax, and Charizard/Lapras weren't hard for Kyogre.

Just wondering if anyone else besides me thought that the two "most powerful" trainers in the game were lame.

Agent Clank

Bye PC
    Years
    • Seen Jan 11, 2011
    I didn't think they were lame!
    they were the best fights i've ever had.
    so yeah,not lame.

Last edited:

RioKura

Mapper
    Years
    • Seen Nov 21, 2010
    Lol for real? Lance was only 10% harder for me than the first time I'd fought him, and my best Pokemon was a lv 64 Spritomb. I really wasn't pleased :\

Years
    well of course they'd be easy considering you're using a team of legendaries...that kinda goes without saying and IMO takes the fun out of the experience.

Red was pretty challenging to me, and i used pokemon in almost the same level range. that damn blizzard got my salamence and venusaur every time, lol.

Corruptodile

Ma chérie, Je t'aime.
    Years
    • Age 30
    • UK
    • Seen Aug 19, 2016
    No, not at all.

Red and Lance were challenging, and I loved it. Especially when I used under levelling non-legendary Pokémon.

Magnezone, Arcanine, Exxegutor, Feraligatr, Ampharos and Crobat FTW y'all.

empty streets

Ace trainer ★
    Years
    It's not fun to use a team like yours to beat the strongest guys in the game xD
    I use my average team that I leveled up through the plot-line to make it more challenging. And it was challenging the last time I did that.

Resultz

All- round Poke-Whizz
    Years
    well of course they'd be easy considering you're using a team of legendaries...that kinda goes without saying and IMO takes the fun out of the experience.

Red was pretty challenging to me, and i used pokemon in almost the same level range. that damn blizzard got my salamence and venusaur every time, lol.

QFT

must i state the Karen quote?

Lance and Red are meant to be taken on with REAL pokemon and not overpowered leviathans..

It took me levels higher than lance to beat him with my favourites, and im happy with that, because it was a real battle.

Eon-Rider

An "Original" PC Supporter
    Years
    I thought that even with his new moves and more powerful Pokemon that Lance was more of a joke than a challenge the second time around.

I also beat Red with a team of Groudon Lv52, Kyogre Lv 60, Typhlosion Lv 50, Ho-oh lv 56 and Mewtwo lv 70. It was actually really easy. Groudon OHKOd Pikachu, Mewtwo took out Venusaur and Blastoise, Ho-oh annhilated Snorlax, and Charizard/Lapras weren't hard for Kyogre.

Just wondering if anyone else besides me thought that the two "most powerful" trainers in the game were lame.

Good job beating him with a team of ubers. I don't actually bother going to Red often since it's tedious. Lance is fine.

TrainerShane

The Planner
    Years
    • Seen Jul 16, 2010
    Well, what'd you expect? You're using legendaries. That is like facing a hundred guys with stones and you have a machine gun and it is an open field. Doesn't matter if they're better than you as individuals, you have the damn machine gun.

Kieran

the Blueberry Champion
    Years
    No, and no.
    I LOVVVVVVE Lance (Duh!)
    And Red owns At least Red owns cheater Ash Ketchum!

&&. It's lame beating them with an 6 ubers team, just tell how weak you are ;)

Storm_has_formed

"The Storm is here!!!"
    Years

The words in bold are the only thing disappointing me...

Years
    • Seen Oct 12, 2010
    Beating the game with an all-legendary team is easymode bro. I have a strict no-legendary policy when I play the games, because I like the challenge.

I thought the second E4 were pretty tough, actually. And I wasn't expecting Lance's team to be so high-leveled. It took a couple of tries (and several tweaks to my team) to beat him, but Lapras, Magneton and Dragonite eventually got the job done.

As for Red...I haven't even attempted to battle him yet. Just to be on the safe side, I'm going to wait until all my team is above level 75 (so far, only Dragonite meets that criteria) to challenge him.

If anything, I was unhappy that they made Lance as strong as he was, because one thing I liked about the original GSC was how helpful the E4 were for grinding.

XxRogueTrainerxX

Needs a better username
    Years
    My second run of the Elite Four was a cakewalk. My Pokémon were in the high 60's, and like the wise man above me, I have a strict no legendary policy. UBER NOOBZ! But yeah, Lance was no trouble.

I struggled a bit against Red, since I could only rely on a couple Pokémon. Still, I defeated him, and that's what counts.

I am incredibly tempted to throw sharp objects at you. You could probably guess why.

Last edited:

Iceshadow3317

Fictional Writer.
    Years
    Red kicked my butt even with a level 73 on my team which was Dragonite. I had to get a level 88 before I could beat him.

I survived the elite 4 the first round,but now they are koing my 100s at least 1 or 2 of them throughout the whole thing.

So no. I was surprised how strong they where.

Resultz

All- round Poke-Whizz
    Years
    Beating the game with an all-legendary team is easymode bro. I have a strict no-legendary policy when I play the games, because I like the challenge.

I thought the second E4 were pretty tough, actually. And I wasn't expecting Lance's team to be so high-leveled. It took a couple of tries (and several tweaks to my team) to beat him, but Lapras, Magneton and Dragonite eventually got the job done.

As for Red...I haven't even attempted to battle him yet. Just to be on the safe side, I'm going to wait until all my team is above level 75 (so far, only Dragonite meets that criteria) to challenge him.

If anything, I was unhappy that they made Lance as strong as he was, because one thing I liked about the original GSC was how helpful the E4 were for grinding.

respect +1 bro,

i also wish you could face the first E4 again if you wanted to...

Years
    • Seen Jun 22, 2011
    i went there as soon as i could just to get a feel as to how much i needed to train and uh... he kinda owned me with just pikachu....

Droidz

¬‿¬
    Years
    I personally never find Lance or Red hard trainers to beat. I sometimes wish that there was a difficulty setting in Pokemon so that it could be challenging when it comes to gym battles or the poke league.

Bubble Head

Skateboarder
    Years
    • Seen Feb 13, 2015
    actually Red and Lance would be a piece of cake if ur pkm have good iv and ev train as well,i beat Red with just 4 pkm at lv 62 : Gyarados,Breloom,Zapdos,Swampert First I stall out all the pp of blizzard by keep using roost on zap,then i switch gya out,dragon dance 6 time.After that Red was toast ;)

Back