• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

5th Gen Anyone got the Official Pokemon Black/White Guide?

The Corrupt Plague

Missingno. hunter
    Years
    I didn't even bother with the guide because I got something much better instead. It turns out that Gamestop had a used copy of Zelda OOT Masterquest! I will never know why someone would give away such a rare and valuable game. For those who don't know, this was given out as a bonus to those who preordered Windwaker.

Lor

Banned
    Years
    • Seen Mar 6, 2011
    ^LOL .. I will be getting the guide in a few weeks. Long wait :(

bbybrawler

The Golden Sun
    Years
    • Seen Jul 25, 2022
    WAH! I ended up giving in and bought it... at Gamestop for 24 bucks. Damn. XD Granted, that seems to be only for the online purchase, so you've got shipping which would pretty much boost the total up to like $20 bucks. Still, I would have liked to save a few more bucks. Ah well.
    I lucked out on the shipping because anything over $25 is free shipping so my mom got a new cd that she has been wanting to get which just so happened to be cheaper then at most stores (by a dollar)

adhdguitar

Newbie Pokémon Hacker
    Years
    • Seen Jan 16, 2015
    Got the collector's edition and it's aweshum sauce. :)

shinyabsol1

Pokemon DarkJasper!?
    Years
    • Seen Nov 23, 2022
    Nope. Not gonna buy it. I don't need a guide...I got the internet :P

Alternative

f i r e f l y .
    Years
    I have been buying the game guides ever since Ruby and Sapphire, so I will most likely be buying the guide for this game, but it seems pointless to buy two different guides, so I'll most likely get the collector's edition if it's cheaper when I go and pick up the game.

fenyx4

HOENN CONFIRMED!
    Years
    I dunno, I don't really see the point when the info is online, though the fact that it's collectors edition, idk. Most likely I probably won't though. :(

This.

My mate got the guide and when he got home and opened it, he saw there was no Pokedex in it, since it is only Volume 1, and Volume 2 will have the Pokedex in it!

I did laugh a lot. But, I won't be getting the guide, since I have the Internet, if I need to find something out.​

:cer_laugh:

I saw the guidebook in Target the other day before the games came out. When I picked it up, some little kid was staring at me with his mouth open. I ran to an empty aisle. XD

Aww...I'm glad little kids are still showing interest in Pokemon. LOL..when I was in elementary school, I felt the exact same way as that kid probably did whenever someone brought a Ruby/Sapphire Version guide to school. I mean, it had the whole Hoenn PokeDex and movesets! (which helped greatly so you didn't have to train a Pokemon to Level 50 or something just to find out what moves it learns). A few years later, Bulbapedia and the other Pokemon fansites happened.

The guide could be justified during a time when the Internet was not really in use (i.e., 5-15 years ago), but now, it just seems like an unnecessary waste of money. As a result, I won't be purchasing the BW guide (unless I had money to throw away or something). Better to save the paper, IMO. The cover does look awesome, though. :)

Anyone got the Official Pokemon Black/White Guide?

Last edited:
    Years
    I'd get it if it wasn't so expensive. Also all of the info you could want is on Serebii so I've got no real reason to get it.

I understand it's a good collectibles item but I need a better reason than that to get it.

holdmykidney

Riddled with pokerus
    Years
    I kinda like the guides for Pokemon, so I'm always tempted to buy them just as nice books to browse through and enjoy the artwork and let my imagination run off about different pokes and ideas.

I know they are a bit expensive and breaking them across 2 volumes just seems like printing your own money to me. And I know that the information is available online, but I find thumbing through books an easier way to research ideas and look up information that to use the web. The internet sites are great when you know what you are looking for, but a book exposes you to things you weren't necessarily looking for, but which prove to be useful.

Years
    • Seen Jan 1, 2014
    I'd rather have the book. I like looking for information away from the computer if I can. I'll probably be getting the first guide soon. [Wal-mart didn't have it today. >.>]

BDT

On my way to be a MASTER
    Years
    Yup, I also bought the Guide on the release day, the only thing that is annoying that the Pokedex is on Vol.2, so for now I have to check online on what Pokemon learn. I know they did this on D/P/P and HS/SS but I never bought the vol.2 of those, I think I will with B/W

Volroc

The Unpredictability Trainer
    Years
    • Seen Jul 20, 2015
    i got the collectors edition just cuz its a hard cover,& it has a free map& tells you when the other bloody half is coming out (ya they split it in half again) its been pretty help, but extrodinarily unhelpful at the same time, the book for Ruby&Sapphire (that was the last time i had gotten the book) was infinitely more direct,& helpful telling you exactly where the items where,were,& how to get to them, the Black&White book just gives you a list, several pokeball symbols all over a WAY too tiny map& says go find it, it doesnt even tell you which item is which,so you tend to get a bunch of useless crap you gotta sell before you finally find the TM, or item you want.

But other than the tiny maps, the lack of helpfulness, & the slightly annoying bakc-tracking with the book (they put EVERYTHING you do threwout the game on the page which is why the maps are so small, you cant fit it on the damn page) the book is great, the unova pokedex at the back and helped me a ton :) and the book has its usefulness at times, like telling me i completely missed& overlooked HM Strength& gotta go back for it lol

Back