• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Anyone in the process of learning Japanese?

Years
    • Seen Feb 14, 2012
    Hello there! I was curious, if anyone here was in the process of learning Japanese, or has an interest in the Japanese language?

(I also hope this is an okay area to post this in.)

I've been studying Japanese, mainly as a way to pass the time, and because I hope to live in Japan someday. I've only been studying for two months, and I'm mainly working on Kanji and building up my grammar. I'm studying to be a Concept Artist for video games, and it's my dream to work for Square Enix. So, I think knowing Japanese would be really helpful.

So, is anyone else studying the language, or do you have an interest in it?

-Ivy

Otherworld9)

Bard of Rage
    Years
  • I've been trying to learn japanese myself, and all I know are the basics, along with the numbers. My aunt speaks a bit of it, although not fluently, she's teaching me everyday words. Also, watching japanese anime helps, so I may as well have learned it by the end of high school at least.

Fuyu

The answer is at the top...
    Years
    • she/her/they/them
    • Home
    • Seen yesterday
    Hai! I can't write it fluently but I'm pretty good if I do say so myself. We have Japanese club at my school though. :D

Loki

x
    Years
    • Seen Apr 4, 2024
    I've been studying for the past year or two-- and while I'm not the best at Japanese, but I can hold conversations and write simple things. I need to practice my Kanji though. XD Speaking and listening are my strengths while reading and writing just..... don't ever really seem to improve.... XDDD I'm learning for lots of different reasons, though at the start it was because I have some friends who don't understand English at all really, and so if I want to talk to them I need to get better at Japanese...

Years
    • Seen Aug 26, 2012
    Hey, im learning japanese (by myself) and it's kinda hard to learn alone.... I hope my parents put me in a school or something, 'cuz learning kanji kills me x.x

私は亀井絵里です。お元気ですか?私は元気だよ!

Years
    • Seen Mar 11, 2020
    I'm working on learning it~ ^o^ Its fun, but it is hard to learn alone : / It would be easier to talk with someone who speaks the language.

Years
  • I've been learning it semi-regularly (read: I slack off often) for a couple of years now. I can hold a conversation fairly well and even read simpler novels with the help of a dictionary and a lot of patience.

[shameless plug] I started a few blog posts here on PC to teach some of the basics (and I need to get back on that - darn you holiday-inspired laziness) so if anyone is interested they can check those out. I've got another one in the works that I should have up soon. [/shameless plug]

Beefinator

┐( ̄ー ̄)┌
    Years
    • Seen Jun 2, 2012
    I'm currently taking it as my 2nd language in Highschool but I'm not doing very well.
    I know all the Hiragana letters save for わ, ね, れ but I haven't really bothered to memorize the Katakana letters. I've learned a few basic phrases like How are you, What's your name, What's your address and a few conversations.
    I really enjoy learning the language and I hope to improve my knowledge and boosting my grade to at least 80%

ナギ

P r e p a r e .
    Years
  • woops, i didn't spot this thread at first..

as for me.. as 90% of my japanese skills come from watching anime, my reading/writing skills aren't exactly good. i learned all hiragana/katakana, but i don't really how i should start studying kanji now.. might any of you know of a good way to get started?
    right now i only know a few of the simplest kanji, like 人 and 木 and stuff like that.. hehe.

i think my speaking-skills are quite good though c:

Uecil

[img]https://i.ibb.co/4jfYrCT/tHdpHUB.png[/img]
    Years
  • I've been learning it a lot recently and I find it quite fun learning it, but it's rather difficult for me to remember the Kanji.

Charicific

PkMn Trainer
    Years
  • Now that you mentioned it......yeah I am. I just started a couple of weeks ago. In these weeks I mastered the Hirigana and Katakana though I face some trouble with katakana. I also learned basic grammar for the verb to be and I can now count till 999,999 ;p

I gotta admit, its a fairly easy language, the grammar is soooo easy until now. I can't believe I learned it alone :D.. they r actually anime that inspired me to learn...and for anyone who is willing to learn, I RECOMMEND you use the app I used, which is "Human Japanese" it made japanese easier than English for me ;)

Back