• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Music Anyone like Classical Music?

Years
  • Hey All,

I've decided to branch out to other forums so decided to post here :P

So here's some background info about myself: I'm a classical pianist who used to play the violin. I'm currently studying music at a conservatoire in the UK xD (guess which one and u might get a special prize xD ) I mainly listen to classical music which is expected as I'm studying it :P

so if you like classical music feel free to reply to this thread and tell me which eras of it you like whether it be:

• Early Music (Pre-Renaissance. Pretty Niche area tho...)
    • Renaissance (Viols are kinda cool i guess?)
    • Baroque (Bach, Bach, More Bach hahhaa. I know there's others but Bach :P)
    • Classical ( Who doesn't like the Big 3: Haydn, Mozart and Beethoven. Don't rate Haydn too much tho...)
    • Romantic (Loads of pianist composers hehehe) and Late Romantics like Tchaikovsky and Rachmaninov
    • Impressionism (Debatable as an era term)
    • 20th Century (don't really do much of this stuff....)
    • Neo Classical (part of 20th century but hm... post 1900s gets confusing to define)
    • Expressionism
    • Serialism
    • Post Modernism-New Complexity (Eww...... I mean what? personally none of this stuff really sounds nice but hm.. )
    • 21st century
    • Modern Music in general? (so 2oth centry onwards xD)
    Also feel free to comment about particular musical movements which can apply to different eras such as Nationalism which you can find in romantic music and neo classical :P

Or feel free to talk about a particular country like the russian romantics or german composers :P

Years
  • Man, this forum has everything. Come for the pokemon, stay for the music talk!

Yes, I love classical music of various eras and styles and will proceed to nerd out about it. For starters though, I'll take a shot in the dark and see if I can win that prize you mentioned: Royal Northern College of Music??

I studied classical piano growing up, though I'm sad to say that I've let my skills decline in recent years. What is your favorite music to perform? Least favorite? Are there any pianists that you admire?

My own taste in music is wildly eclectic, and it's the same when it comes to different eras and styles of classical music. I love the Romantic period for piano music. Chopin, Tchaikovsky, Shubert, Mendelssohn, Rachmaninoff, Schumann, so many more... I also adore impressionist stuff from Debussy, Ravel, etc.

I can really find music from all of these eras that I love. The more I think about it the more difficult it becomes to come up with a list. You can talk about the baroque and classical icons, naturally, but then you can't ignore 20th Century masters like Stravinsky, Bernstein, Britten, Bartok, Copland... Too many names to mention. I gotta focus up here or this post will go forever.

One area of broadly-defined "classical" music that I have a particular appreciation of is vocal and choral music. I trained in classical and choral voice at university. Some of my favorite solo pieces to sing are Ralph Vaughan Williams compositions, and I like a lot of more contemporary choral stuff, though renaissance and early music pieces can be great to sing as well. What's your opinion of vocal or choral music?

Another question for you: What place to you think modern film composers have in a discussion of classical music?

Let's play this game: If you shuffled through classical music (define that how you want) on your iPod or other music player, what are the first five tracks that come up?

Years
  • When it comes to classical music, I happen to like Beethoven. When it comes to the symphonies he composed, I like his 5th and 6th.

i prefer his piano concertos especially no3 :P i just prefer the melodies and the energy they have

Man, this forum has everything. Come for the pokemon, stay for the music talk!

Yes, I love classical music of various eras and styles and will proceed to nerd out about it. For starters though, I'll take a shot in the dark and see if I can win that prize you mentioned: Royal Northern College of Music??

I studied classical piano growing up, though I'm sad to say that I've let my skills decline in recent years. What is your favorite music to perform? Least favorite? Are there any pianists that you admire?

My own taste in music is wildly eclectic, and it's the same when it comes to different eras and styles of classical music. I love the Romantic period for piano music. Chopin, Tchaikovsky, Shubert, Mendelssohn, Rachmaninoff, Schumann, so many more... I also adore impressionist stuff from Debussy, Ravel, etc.

I can really find music from all of these eras that I love. The more I think about it the more difficult it becomes to come up with a list. You can talk about the baroque and classical icons, naturally, but then you can't ignore 20th Century masters like Stravinsky, Bernstein, Britten, Bartok, Copland... Too many names to mention. I gotta focus up here or this post will go forever.

One area of broadly-defined "classical" music that I have a particular appreciation of is vocal and choral music. I trained in classical and choral voice at university. Some of my favorite solo pieces to sing are Ralph Vaughan Williams compositions, and I like a lot of more contemporary choral stuff, though renaissance and early music pieces can be great to sing as well. What's your opinion of vocal or choral music?

Another question for you: What place to you think modern film composers have in a discussion of classical music?

Let's play this game: If you shuffled through classical music (define that how you want) on your iPod or other music player, what are the first five tracks that come up?

aha :P

OMFG> YOU STALKER! gonna delete my PC account now xD why did u guess RNCM? it's not even the most famous conservatoire in the UK :P well u can have a free competitive or shiny competitive from my shop xD

oh. are u an adult in a job now? :P

hm. my favourite era is probably the romantic for its programmatic, lyrical and emotional power. it's just kinda in your face :P i like to play bach, mozart, beethoven, chopin and rachmaninov :P i don't really like 20th century music lol but i haven't really played any... but if i had to choose i'd rather stick to pre 20th century stuff :P

hm. i like Ashkenazy. have a recording of him doing all the rach concertos xD

hm. i like impressionist music but it doesn't come to me naturally. it's too watery for me? :P i played jeux deau for my auditions eurgh...

eww 20th century lol. the breakdown of tonality... i just find 20th century too atmospheric.... the main focus seems to be on creating a certain atmosphere which is cool but i prefer lyrical stuff with melodies and using those melodies and harmonies to create an emotion. i did appalachian spring in my school orch tho :P it's actually a great atmospheric piece coz it has that great shaker theme at the end and just the way it builds up to that climax :P i've never been to the USA but that piece just sounds like an appalachian spring :P

hm... not really a fan of vocal music. feels a bit put on the way opera singers sing. feels a bit artificial? hm.. also i prefer hearing the sounds of instruments for scalic stuff. i guess for singers u can always cheat with glissandi but that makes it a bit wishy washy....

which uni did u go to? :P

well john williams has made some great scores like schindler's list :p i can imagine it being from the romantic era. movie music is kinda a mix and match of eras. also they all rip off rachmaninov lol. http://www.cmuse.org/you-cant-believe-how-much-rachmaninoff-influenced-popular-music/
    i guess it depends what style they do. if they do a hip-hop track or a rap song then well. that's not classical music lolol. what do u think of einaudi? pop or classical or a crossover?

argh. my phone's turned off haha

Years
  • OMFG> YOU STALKER! gonna delete my PC account now xD why did u guess RNCM? it's not even the most famous conservatoire in the UK :P well u can have a free competitive or shiny competitive from my shop xD

Holy cow, for real? It was a pretty blind guess. I just picked one that sounded cool. How do you like it there?

oh. are u an adult in a job now? :P

Correctemundo. I work in a business position at a research institute.

eww 20th century lol. the breakdown of tonality... i just find 20th century too atmospheric.... the main focus seems to be on creating a certain atmosphere which is cool but i prefer lyrical stuff with melodies and using those melodies and harmonies to create an emotion. (...)

hm... not really a fan of vocal music. feels a bit put on the way opera singers sing. feels a bit artificial? (...)

Here be our differences it seems. I see what you're saying about the emphasis on atmosphere over melody (if I'm generalizing), but I'm ok with that in moderation. Though I like music from all eras, 20th century stuff has some of the most interesting harmonic work for my ears.

I'm not a huge fan of opera either, although I should qualify that by saying one or two operatic arias appear on my list of top ten most beautiful pieces of music ever. My favorite vocal music is lyric stuff and choral stuff. I love how physical singing is. There is so much emotion that can be conveyed through voice. The blend of unique voices can also offer so many unique choral sounds. I like it both by itself and blended with other instruments.

which uni did u go to? :P

Haha, you'll have to guess!

well john williams has made some great scores like schindler's list (...) what do u think of einaudi? pop or classical or a crossover?

John Williams is certainly one of my favorites. I also really love Ennio Morricone's work with film. I like what I've heard of Einaudi. He seems to be more of a crossover composer, but I'm not super familiar with his body of work.

Years
  • Hey All,

I've decided to branch out to other forums so decided to post here :P

So here's some background info about myself: I'm a classical pianist who used to play the violin. I'm currently studying music at a conservatoire in the UK xD (guess which one and u might get a special prize xD ) I mainly listen to classical music which is expected as I'm studying it :P

so if you like classical music feel free to reply to this thread and tell me which eras of it you like whether it be:

• Early Music (Pre-Renaissance. Pretty Niche area tho...)
    • Renaissance (Viols are kinda cool i guess?)
    • Baroque (Bach, Bach, More Bach hahhaa. I know there's others but Bach :P)
    • Classical ( Who doesn't like the Big 3: Haydn, Mozart and Beethoven. Don't rate Haydn too much tho...)
    • Romantic (Loads of pianist composers hehehe) and Late Romantics like Tchaikovsky and Rachmaninov
    • Impressionism (Debatable as an era term)
    • 20th Century (don't really do much of this stuff....)
    • Neo Classical (part of 20th century but hm... post 1900s gets confusing to define)
    • Expressionism
    • Serialism
    • Post Modernism-New Complexity (Eww...... I mean what? personally none of this stuff really sounds nice but hm.. )
    • 21st century
    • Modern Music in general? (so 2oth centry onwards xD)
    Also feel free to comment about particular musical movements which can apply to different eras such as Nationalism which you can find in romantic music and neo classical :P

Or feel free to talk about a particular country like the russian romantics or german composers :P

Oh really? Never thought see this topic here
    I have been playing violin for 8 months, totally learn by myself, not quite smoothly :(
    You are so cool when mastering 2 hardest instruments like that :D {:3}
    Classical music? umh, "Canon in D" is my favorite one! I've tried to play this on my violin but it still sounds like o_O
    Hope to learn from you!

Harmonie

Winds ღ
    Years
  • I'm going to go into Musicology once I get into graduate school, so, another music student here. =P

I love Renaissance music, Baroque, Classical, and Impressionism. I'm ify with the other eras.

Renaissance music I got into by the polyphonic choral music like that of Thomas Tallis. This was a shock as I've always been an instrumental person. It's not that I've never had appreciation for choral music, I just had never liked it quite this much. At first the instrumental music (played on period-replica models) was very jarring to me, although I liked the music on modern instruments (Think Claude Gervaise's Old French Dances played by a modern brass ensemble). Eventually my fascination with the early woodwind instruments (which I've had for a very long time) led me to acquire the taste of hearing their very buzzy nature. lol Have some awesome buzzy early woodwind music! I love it. I want a cornamuse myself... but I must stop myself for now. =P

Baroque was actually my introduction to classical music. I still hold it in very high regards. I love the instruments. I love the way the Baroque oboe sounds... And the harpsichord is probably my favorite non-wind instrument. Baroque strings are sublime, too. I adore slow Baroque pieces in minor keys! Like Marcello's Oboe Concerto's Adagio. I got to play it... But not on a Baroque oboe. =( (I love my modern Howarth, don't get me wrong. I just always want more. lol)

Classical was also an early love for me. I actually don't have too much to say about it. >.<

Impressionism, OMG. I just love it. This is just some of the most beautiful music ever conceived. It does a lot of things that are unconventional to classical music before it, yet... It doesn't take it too far. A nice balance that was lost all too quickly.

Years
  • I sometimes listen to it. I'm no expert however. In fact I know nothing at all. I like Vivaldi's 4 Seasons and the William Tell Overture.

I know even less about Hindustani or Carnatic classical music, even though I am named after a term that is related to it.

ShainePKGOTB

Banned
    Years
    • Seen Aug 15, 2016
    I was playing violin for a few years,and i get through all eras of classical music.Clasisical music in general is hard to study but you have a good feeling after you study hours and hours and learn it finally

Years
    • Seen Feb 9, 2024
    Mom use to play classical music when I was a baby and a toddler. And we'd listen to the classical station when she would take me to my grandparents every morning.

Years
  • Holy cow, for real? It was a pretty blind guess. I just picked one that sounded cool. How do you like it there?

Correctemundo. I work in a business position at a research institute.

Here be our differences it seems. I see what you're saying about the emphasis on atmosphere over melody (if I'm generalizing), but I'm ok with that in moderation. Though I like music from all eras, 20th century stuff has some of the most interesting harmonic work for my ears.

I'm not a huge fan of opera either, although I should qualify that by saying one or two operatic arias appear on my list of top ten most beautiful pieces of music ever. My favorite vocal music is lyric stuff and choral stuff. I love how physical singing is. There is so much emotion that can be conveyed through voice. The blend of unique voices can also offer so many unique choral sounds. I like it both by itself and blended with other instruments.

Haha, you'll have to guess!

John Williams is certainly one of my favorites. I also really love Ennio Morricone's work with film. I like what I've heard of Einaudi. He seems to be more of a crossover composer, but I'm not super familiar with his body of work.

haha. RCM and RAM are more famous xD

ooh. sounds important. what do u research? market research? :P

lol. i don't like the breakdown of tonality. i like my harmony. without harmony i'm lost lol

hm.. harvard? julliard? xD

btw do u play any instruments besides singing?

Oh really? Never thought see this topic here
    I have been playing violin for 8 months, totally learn by myself, not quite smoothly :(
    You are so cool when mastering 2 hardest instruments like that :D {:3}
    Classical music? umh, "Canon in D" is my favorite one! I've tried to play this on my violin but it still sounds like o_O
    Hope to learn from you!

oh that piece hah. luckily you don't play the cello coz the bass part is so repetitive.... cellists hate it lolol

I'm going to go into Musicology once I get into graduate school, so, another music student here. =P

I love Renaissance music, Baroque, Classical, and Impressionism. I'm ify with the other eras.

Renaissance music I got into by the polyphonic choral music like that of Thomas Tallis. This was a shock as I've always been an instrumental person. It's not that I've never had appreciation for choral music, I just had never liked it quite this much. At first the instrumental music (played on period-replica models) was very jarring to me, although I liked the music on modern instruments (Think Claude Gervaise's Old French Dances played by a modern brass ensemble). Eventually my fascination with the early woodwind instruments (which I've had for a very long time) led me to acquire the taste of hearing their very buzzy nature. lol Have some awesome buzzy early woodwind music! I love it. I want a cornamuse myself... but I must stop myself for now. =P

Baroque was actually my introduction to classical music. I still hold it in very high regards. I love the instruments. I love the way the Baroque oboe sounds... And the harpsichord is probably my favorite non-wind instrument. Baroque strings are sublime, too. I adore slow Baroque pieces in minor keys! Like Marcello's Oboe Concerto's Adagio. I got to play it... But not on a Baroque oboe. =( (I love my modern Howarth, don't get me wrong. I just always want more. lol)

Classical was also an early love for me. I actually don't have too much to say about it. >.<

Impressionism, OMG. I just love it. This is just some of the most beautiful music ever conceived. It does a lot of things that are unconventional to classical music before it, yet... It doesn't take it too far. A nice balance that was lost all too quickly.

u currently doing an academic music course?

aww romantic is great :D do u find it too indulgent and over the top and too virtuosic and show offy? :P

i want a harpsichord :D sounds cool but annoying to play >_<

ahah. howarth is an oboe shop in london isn't it? :P

i like minor keyed baroque pieces. gotta love those tierce di picardies lolol. probably should listen to more vivaldi coz it's pretty energetic. bach is more reflective and inwards, not as many fireworks :P II7b-V7-I is such a great cadence in minor keys hehe.

do u play any other instruments?

I sometimes listen to it. I'm no expert however. In fact I know nothing at all. I like Vivaldi's 4 Seasons and the William Tell Overture.

I know even less about Hindustani or Carnatic classical music, even though I am named after a term that is related to it.

good choice :P

bandish.. can't remember what that is. is it an instrument? :P did ur parents intend to name u after a musical term?

Mom use to play classical music when I was a baby and a toddler. And we'd listen to the classical station when she would take me to my grandparents every morning.

aaaha. do u listen to it anymore? :P

Years
  • bandish.. can't remember what that is. is it an instrument? :P did ur parents intend to name u after a musical term?

It is a type of composition.

My name is very very rare. I don't know who came up with the name, it was either my parents or mama. None of them are big fans of classical music.

Years
  • haha. RCM and RAM are more famous xD

ooh. sounds important. what do u research? market research? :P

lol. i don't like the breakdown of tonality. i like my harmony. without harmony i'm lost lol

hm.. harvard? julliard? xD

btw do u play any instruments besides singing?

We do mathematics and biology research. It's definitely important for some people! There's a lot that relates to medicine.

Good guesses, but no, not that well known. Capital.

I play piano and guitar besides singing, but I haven't played in a while and I've lost some of my skill. ;-;

Adam Levine

[color=#ffffff][font="Century Gothic"]I have tried
    Years
  • The only thing I dislike about classical music is that it can span up to half an hour long, and I don't find it entertaining. I usually just listen to the start, because it's usually the most iconic part of the piece.

Controversial?

Bored musician, bad programmer
    Years
    • UK
    • Seen Oct 11, 2020
    I'm studying music at the moment, actually. Taking a module on the supernatural in opera next year, which is gonna be an absolute blast. ^_^

When it comes to Classical music, I'd say my preferences lie in Late Romanticism and Impressionism. I'd say my favourite composer would be Debussy, but I guess as a pianist myself I happen to be pretty biased. :P I'm also really into Chopin, Liszt, Schubert and Wagner, among others. (speaking of Wagner, Tannhauser has probably the best overture I have ever heard).

Speaking of, I ended up seeing Brahms' 2nd Symphony last night at the BBC Proms. It was so good :D

Last edited:

Harmonie

Winds ღ
    Years
  • u currently doing an academic music course?

aww romantic is great :D do u find it too indulgent and over the top and too virtuosic and show offy? :P

i want a harpsichord :D sounds cool but annoying to play >_<

ahah. howarth is an oboe shop in london isn't it? :P

i like minor keyed baroque pieces. gotta love those tierce di picardies lolol. probably should listen to more vivaldi coz it's pretty energetic. bach is more reflective and inwards, not as many fireworks :P II7b-V7-I is such a great cadence in minor keys hehe.

do u play any other instruments?

Yes, I'm majoring in music... But just Musical Arts right now since Musicology is not available. I'm second guessing that choice, though, as I'm afraid it might not transfer. I may have to switch to Music Education, even though that'd throw me off on a tangent. =/

I just find Romantic music to be generally boring. Not all of it. There are exceptions... but when I think of Romantic Violin concerti, Romantic symphonies, etc., I just... so boring.

Yeah, we had a harpsichord at my community college. It was interesting to see how the piano 'improved' upon it, by allowing for the dynamics to be determined by the strength of playing the key, as opposed to a knob that you have to turn on the side of the instrument... Still, I prefer the sound of the harpsichord to the piano.

Howarth makes a number of different instruments, I believe. However, I only ever started hearing of them when playing oboe, so that must be their big thing. They are in England.

Oh, I've played a number of instruments. The ones I really learned and played for school and ensembles prior to oboe were trumpet and bassoon.

Years
  • I'm studying music at the moment, actually. Taking a module on the supernatural in opera next year, which is gonna be an absolute blast. ^_^
    (...)
    I ended up seeing Brahms' 2nd Symphony last night at the BBC Proms. It was so good :D

The supernatural in opera sounds weird and awesome. Enjoy! I would love to go to a BBC Proms concert. The recordings I see of performances there are invariably excellent.

Years
  • The only thing I dislike about classical music is that it can span up to half an hour long, and I don't find it entertaining. I usually just listen to the start, because it's usually the most iconic part of the piece.

ahahha. that's true but normally a symphony has 3 or 4 mvts so just listen to one mvt. there are also loads of short pieces :P some last like 1minute to 5 :P

I'm studying music at the moment, actually. Taking a module on the supernatural in opera next year, which is gonna be an absolute blast. ^_^

When it comes to Classical music, I'd say my preferences lie in Late Romanticism and Impressionism. I'd say my favourite composer would be Debussy, but I guess as a pianist myself I happen to be pretty biased. :P I'm also really into Chopin, Liszt, Schubert and Wagner, among others. (speaking of Wagner, Tannhauser has probably the best overture I have ever heard).

Speaking of, I ended up seeing Brahms' 2nd Symphony last night at the BBC Proms. It was so good :D

oh where do u study? uni or conservatoire? damn... u might know who i am :O time to hide..... :P

well us pianists do get to play like every genre lol :P except for maybe wagner lol

i haven't been promming this yr lol. do u live in london?

We do mathematics and biology research. It's definitely important for some people! There's a lot that relates to medicine.

Good guesses, but no, not that well known. Capital.

I play piano and guitar besides singing, but I haven't played in a while and I've lost some of my skill. ;-;

ohh. found anything interesting? :P how long u been doing it?

ah. what voice range are u

Yes, I'm majoring in music... But just Musical Arts right now since Musicology is not available. I'm second guessing that choice, though, as I'm afraid it might not transfer. I may have to switch to Music Education, even though that'd throw me off on a tangent. =/

I just find Romantic music to be generally boring. Not all of it. There are exceptions... but when I think of Romantic Violin concerti, Romantic symphonies, etc., I just... so boring.

Yeah, we had a harpsichord at my community college. It was interesting to see how the piano 'improved' upon it, by allowing for the dynamics to be determined by the strength of playing the key, as opposed to a knob that you have to turn on the side of the instrument... Still, I prefer the sound of the harpsichord to the piano.

Howarth makes a number of different instruments, I believe. However, I only ever started hearing of them when playing oboe, so that must be their big thing. They are in England.

Oh, I've played a number of instruments. The ones I really learned and played for school and ensembles prior to oboe were trumpet and bassoon.

aha. well i don't find romantic stuff boring. do u find virtuosic pieces boring? :p

well u could say it's an advantage and disadvantage for the harpsichord that u can't control the dynamics. i tried playing on one lol. feels so weird. it's so tiny... and the keys are smaller lol. harpsichords do sound nice tho :P

ah. howarths have a store in london. i didn't realise they actually made instruments lol. thought they were just a one off store lol

Years
  • ohh. found anything interesting? :P how long u been doing it?

ah. what voice range are u

Oh loads of stuff. My favorite so far though has been in the areas related to cancer, such as targeting the proliferation of cancer cells, studying the way they interact with metabolism networks, and examining the roll of stem cells in cancer development and treatments. I've been doing this for a couple years.

As far as voice part goes, in choral music I'm a baritone, but sometimes sing high bass or low tenor parts if needed. In solo voice I can fit into the lyric baritone, baryton-noble, or bass-baritone classifications depending on what I'm singing.

Back