• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Apple/Samsung patent dispute, $1.049 billion awarded to Apple

Legendary Silke

[I][B]You like dragons?[/B][/I]
Years
    • Seen Dec 23, 2021
    Here's the news that I've been taking out from...

Also, Samsung got $0 from the countersuit, too.

So many things might happen next...
    • What does this mean for next Samsung handsets?
    • What will this do to Android and TouchWiz?
    • Will we see some other OS start to become viable? Or will phone manufacturers start to homebrew their own OS?

countryemo

Kicking against the earth!
    Years
  • I've been following this for a while, well a few months, lol.

One, It probably doesn't for the next handsets, not much because the GSIII was left out of the trail because Samsung worked so it didn't infringe on Apple.

Two, TouchWiz has already gotten a change away from it's iOS similarities with Ice Cram Sandwhich. As for Android, We haven't got to a straight Google vs Apple battle, but you can't compare Jelly Bean and iOS 6.

Third, Windows Phone (7 & 8) are getting quite popular, not as much as Android and iOS but its in third place. Not sure how BB10 will be accepted.

I think this battle was a loss for Apple, yes it went against Samsung and they have to pay. But many Apple customers spoke out, and some are even leaving their products because of the bad business practices of Apple. Samsungs reply to the verdict "This only hurts the consumer, and leaves them with less choices, and less inovation." I agree that Samsung copied, but they still work on their "Skin" (Pretty close to a full OS) while Apple steals with very little change to iOS in 6 years.
    (Apple does make nice products, I don't like to use them, wouldn't say their the best, but I give them some credit.)

Last edited:
    Years
  • I was deeply upset about this last night when the news came out. I'm not an Apple fanboy nor do I hate their products, but I certainly believe that Samsung was right in their lawsuit against Apple. What Apple is doing with all of these patents could very well be a violation of the Sherman Antitrust Act by not allowing competition into the markets.

Years
  • I side with the jury on this. If you go through the evidence supplied, Samsung blatantly copied Apple, maybe not on every detail but when a Samsung internal document says "remove a feeling that iPhone's menu icons are copied by differentiating design" that is positive proof of willful infringement.

Do I believe that Apple should have gotten as large of an award, probably not. I do however agree with the jury's final decision.

Zet

Years
  • This wasn't a loss for Samsung, this was a loss for the consumer. The U.S. patent system needs to burned down to the ground and made into something better like the EU patent system.

Years
    • Hire company to manufacture your products.
    • Pay company
    • Sue company for copying other products
    • Free labour!

I'm more curious about what's going to be happening to apples products after the contract with samsung has ran out, because I highly doubt they will want to work with them after losing over a billion dollars.

Also, I thought I might add this here. I've seen a few articles now about how google is going to stop taking the back seat and full on counter sue apple, and seeing as they've recently taken over motorola they have some pretty good patent ammunition to go off of. A pretty good example is the feature that disables the touch screen when the phone is held to you face, and according to the article I linked there are also a few wifi related patents which could affect non iphone products.

Nihilego

[color=#95b4d4]ユービーゼロイチ パラサイト[/color]
    Years
  • I'm more curious about what's going to be happening to apples products after the contract with samsung has ran out, because I highly doubt they will want to work with them after losing over a billion dollars.

As far as I'm aware, it won't really matter too much. At the moment the important components being made for Apple by Samsung are 15.5" Retina displays and flash storage modules for the MacBook Air and Retina MacBook Pro. Both of these components have a second manufacturer - LG for the displays and, if memory serves, Toshiba for the flash modules. If Samsung were to pull out of their agreement with Apple after the contract ends Apple still have manufacturers to fall back on while they request assistance from another company. Furthermore, with 13.3" Retina displays in production by Samsung, LG and Sharp, it'd seem that Samsung are still willing to sign contracts for making Apple components. Although I don't remember where, I also read a statement from Samsung that they want to keep their phone lawsuits separate from deals on components with Apple.

Last edited:
    Back