• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Apple Unveils iPhone4S

Years
  • Overall I'm quite disappointed with what apple has produced this time. It could be that my expectations were raised by all of the rumours that were floating around but I really doubt it.
    All that apple have produced is a slightly better version of the iPhone 4 and to me this was done quite sloppily. This, how I see it, is like seeing a student waste the whole summer doing nothing and then rushing their homework on the final week.
    They've taken the same processor from the iPad 2 and put it into the iPhone which doesn't look like much work because they've already created the processor so all they had to do was shrink it down a bit and make it compatible. They've also boosted the camera from 5MP to 8MP which in all honesty isn't that big of a jump as there has been 10MP camera's on phones for quite a while now. Then they announce that their also adding carriers to the iPhone. I really can't believe they included that as a wide range of carriers has been around since the beginning of mobile phones. There is nothing special about finally being less stingy with who gets to sell your phone. But there is the one feature that I'm liking the look of, the HSPA+21Mbps for faster download speeds is a pretty decent add on to a smart phone. Although this may be something to do with the 1080p video recording and uploading to sites such as youtube it's still a decent addition.

Wow, that kinda turned into a rant :x

Zet

Years
  • Overall I'm quite disappointed with what apple has produced this time. It could be that my expectations were raised by all of the rumours that were floating around but I really doubt it.
    All that apple have produced is a slightly better version of the iPhone 4 and to me this was done quite sloppily. This, how I see it, is like seeing a student waste the whole summer doing nothing and then rushing their homework on the final week.
    They've taken the same processor from the iPad 2 and put it into the iPhone which doesn't look like much work because they've already created the processor so all they had to do was shrink it down a bit and make it compatible. They've also boosted the camera from 5MP to 8MP which in all honesty isn't that big of a jump as there has been 10MP camera's on phones for quite a while now. Then they announce that their also adding carriers to the iPhone. I really can't believe they included that as a wide range of carriers has been around since the beginning of mobile phones. There is nothing special about finally being less stingy with who gets to sell your phone. But there is the one feature that I'm liking the look of, the HSPA+21Mbps for faster download speeds is a pretty decent add on to a smart phone. Although this may be something to do with the 1080p video recording and uploading to sites such as youtube it's still a decent addition.

Samsung's processor which Apple just under clocks(if you were to ask me how badly, I wouldn't even be able to describe it in words), and I've seen some 16MP phones.

Woah, 3GS is free now? I'd get if it weren't for the fact that I like Androids better.
    A lot of phones are free on a two year contract.

Years
  • I was disappointed when I found out it wasn't the iPhone 5, but eh, doesn't really impact me since I have an iPhone 4 anyway.

countryemo

Kicking against the earth!
    Years

Well Im ok with just the same Processor, its better then the IPhone4. 8MP is the standard for smartphones, with some 5MP and 3MP still behind. Nokia has a 12MP, and Samsung has been testing with 16MP. Also More MP dosent equal better photos.

LTE IPhone..Coming 2012. Hey apple already confirmed it, kinda. Haha.

I'm bit disappointed that there was no IPhone 5, we were all on the computers checking during the conference of what was going on at school xD
    Though the IPhone 4S is a great improvement, just dont like the glass square design much, its unique though.

With all this I might be wanting an Iphone, but I just got an Android and I dont think I could like with a such a locked phone. I might decide to get a new ipod touch though. Not a big fan of apple, though. 4S or 5 its still an improvement.

Press Conference this Friday, going to clear up more info and perhaps the IPhone 5.

Years
  • Yeah, but it was needed. They really screwed up this time.
    Disregarding my previous rant post I think that it was the fact apple built it up so much that lead to the disapointment.
    I think apple used their no releasing information policy wrongfully this time.

Nihilego

[color=#95b4d4]ユービーゼロイチ パラサイト[/color]
    Years

• Disregarding my previous rant post I think that it was the fact apple built it up so much that lead to the disapointment.
    I think apple used their no releasing information policy wrongfully this time.

I don't really think they built it up as much as general media did. Although I will admit that the announcing of the announcement for the 4S was... odd.

Tbh it seems like a rushed update due to a huge amount of public pressure. We were waiting for a long time for this, and people were getting impatient. I get the feeling that they have the iPhone 5 ready, but it's either buggy, using technology that's not yet commercially viable, whatever. So they gave us this for the time being. It's not great but it's an upgrade for new buyers and it'll keep people happy (if you can call it that lol) for a fair amount of time.

Years
  • Regardless, I want one. I'd be fine with the $199 one, beats the hell out of the $1,500 we blew on the older I-phones before this.

But what will the 5 have that this one doesn't?

Reactions: Zet
    Years
  • I fail to see why people are disappointed. The guts of the phone have been upgraded entirely. The (barely noticeable) antenna issue has been fixed and we get a new OS (on older devices, too). It looks the same and has the same screen, both of which were the two aspects that least needed altering.

If people are concerned about the CPU, then remember that if they start up-clocking it, they're going to sacrifice battery life (which also seems to have gone up slightly). And before anyone mentions it, there's no point having any more than 2 cores in something with such linear, non-parallel apps.

If I was in the market for a new phone, it would be on the top of my list.

Years

• I don't really think they built it up as much as general media did. Although I will admit that the announcing of the announcement for the 4S was... odd.
    I reckon that apple uses the general media to blow it up and cause rumours to start as a form of advertisement for their products. Notice how apple never says a word about their products until it's been announced yet people seem to be talking about them months before release?

I fail to see why people are disappointed. The guts of the phone have been upgraded entirely. The (barely noticeable) antenna issue has been fixed and we get a new OS (on older devices, too). It looks the same and has the same screen, both of which were the two aspects that least needed altering.

If people are concerned about the CPU, then remember that if they start up-clocking it, they're going to sacrifice battery life (which also seems to have gone up slightly). And before anyone mentions it, there's no point having any more than 2 cores in something with such linear, non-parallel apps.

If I was in the market for a new phone, it would be on the top of my list.
    Seeing as the OS is being used on all the apple products I don't think that counts towards the iPhone 4S. It should count as a completely different release.
    And to me the CPU is fine, it just seems lazy that all they did was take the iPad 2's processor and shrink it down.

Years
    • Seen May 9, 2024
    Apple didn't build up any type of hype. They never do. The most they do is send an invitation to the developers for them to attend the conference... The fact that people talk about it before they're announced just goes to put things in perspective of the influence the company has. That's just the way things go: people know Apple has two major announcements a year, and speculation occurs for even the smallest things. To put it in perspective; think of Pokémon. People are speculating on remakes of Ruby and Sapphire and Gray. Why? Because that's what they expect. All the releases up until now suggest that's what's going to happen next.

People dislike the iPhone 4S because they expected the iPhone 5. Simple as that, really. Apple never suggested that they're going to be introducing a new generation of phone, and judging from their past releases, I would've thought an updated iPhone 4 with new features of sorts would be expected by anyone who follows them.

Last edited by a moderator:
    Years
  • Seeing as the OS is being used on all the apple products I don't think that counts towards the iPhone 4S. It should count as a completely different release.

Sort of. Siri is exclusive to the 4S, at least for the time being. And while it's a different products, of course, it adds yet another reason for us NOT to be disappointed.
    And to me the CPU is fine, it just seems lazy that all they did was take the iPad 2's processor and shrink it down.
    That's not being lazy at all - it's obvious and resourceful. There is absolutely no point in designing a new CPU from the group up when you have exactly what you need right in front of you. It saves time, money and helps allows them to unify their products (which falls in line with Apple's methods).
    People dislike the iPhone 4S because they expected the iPhone 5.
    BINGO! I think a case alteration and a different name would leave people in a different heart over the matter.
    I would've thought an updated iPhone 4 with new features of sorts would be expected by anyone who follows them.
    Yes. If you asked me what I'd change from the iPhone 4, they pretty much just did it with the 4S. If I could snap my fingers and upgrade (I'm mid-contract), I would.

Mr Cat Dog

Frasier says it best
    Years
  • Maybe it is purely psychological - only placing an 'S' at the end of the current model instead of changing the name altogether - but many, many people were disappointed with the announcement. Of course, that disappointment turned to heartbreak a few days later, but when the dust eventually dies down over Jobs' death, people will probably look back on this as a missed opportunity. Whether it is or not, I can't really say. All I know is that I was going to wait until the NEXT one comes out, and this announcement hasn't really changed my mind in that regard.

Raven-NAR-32450

The Great and Powerful RAVEN
    Years
  • Regardless, I want one. I'd be fine with the $199 one, beats the hell out of the $1,500 we blew on the older I-phones before this.

But what will the 5 have that this one doesn't?

This one will have a 5 on it, anyway, I hardly think the iPhone is anything special, the overall design just seems so wrong, like the thing is too bulky to even be a phone. I prefer phones that are........smaller, and capable of fitting in one's pocket comfortably.

tokyodrift

[i]got me looking for attention[/i]
    Years
    • Age 30
    • he/him
    • Seen Mar 8, 2024
    This one will have a 5 on it, anyway, I hardly think the iPhone is anything special, the overall design just seems so wrong, like the thing is too bulky to even be a phone. I prefer phones that are........smaller, and capable of fitting in one's pocket comfortably.

The original iPhone, up through the 3GS were totally bulky and I couldn't see myself getting one. As you get down to the newer generations of the iPhone it gets smaller. Well, your definition of bulky and mine are probably two completely different conceptions. But the iPhone 4 is very rectangular, and a lot smaller than its predecessors.

On another note, I already decided that I plan on getting mine upon it's release on October 14th. I'm really excited if I do say so myself.

Years
  • the overall design just seems so wrong, like the thing is too bulky to even be a phone. I prefer phones that are........smaller, and capable of fitting in one's pocket comfortably.
    I wouldn't want it to be any bigger. Yet so many people are complaining that the screen isn't any bigger?

Anyway, what's done is done and they're stuck with it until the next revision. What CAN still change is iOS 5, which I'm looking forward to. It's also a nice free upgrade for anyone with an iPhone that's still capable. (I wouldn't want to be using a 3G for much in the first place, lol)

Years
  • I wouldn't want it to be any bigger. Yet so many people are complaining that the screen isn't any bigger?

It bugs me so much when people complain about screen size. As long as it's big enough to hold a reasonably sized text message, a phone number and maybe a status bar along the top the screen is big enough. If their not happy with the screen that apples made then they can go and buy an iPad, their essentially the same thing. Or better yet, a laptop.

Back