• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Arcanine and Ninetales - references to male and female beauty, respectively?

Years
    • Seen Oct 26, 2016
    Considering that both Arcanine and Ninetales are known for their sheer beauty (as mentioned in their Pokédex entries), and considering their gender ratios (Arcanine being 75% male/25% female and Ninetales being 25% male/75% female), I was thinking, could they be references to male and female beauty, respectively? What does anyone here think?

PlatinumDude

Nyeh?
    Years
  • According to Bulbapedia, both Arcanine and Ninetales are based on the concept of male and beauty, respectively. Even some of their Pokedex entries reference their beauty. So yeah, I do agree on the beauty part

OmegaRuby and AlphaSapphire

10000 year Emperor of Hoenn
    Years
  • Yeah they are based on beauty (I beleive) and the mystical creatures that were seen to embody masculanity and feminine charm.
    Gyrados and Milotic also fall under this difference.

droomph

weeb
    Years
  • No, I believe you're thinking of Grovyle

Yeah, Arcanine and Ninetales are representative of male and female elegance and beauty, and Growlithe and Vulpix are representative of the male and female elegance, but for children (mainly cuteness). But Gyarados probably represents the general idea of strength and power and Milotic represents the general idea of beauty and elegance; their pre-evolutions both represent the story of the Ugly Little Duckling.

That's why G&M have 50/50 ratios instead of the 25/75 and 75/25 ratios.

Years
    • Seen Feb 26, 2020
    Yeah they are based on beauty (I beleive) and the mystical creatures that were seen to embody masculanity and feminine charm.
    Gyrados and Milotic also fall under this difference.

You kidding? I think Gyarados is really ugly. I wouldn't want the typical male to be represented as a Gyarados.

I do, however, thoroughly agree with how Arcanine and Ninetales embody beauty in some way. They're really viable in battle, too.

Years
  • You kidding? I think Gyarados is really ugly. I wouldn't want the typical male to be represented as a Gyarados.

I do, however, thoroughly agree with how Arcanine and Ninetales embody beauty in some way. They're really viable in battle, too.
    Are you kidding? I think Gyarados is hot.

Seriously though I can see the Gyarados x Milotic thing. Never knew about the Arcanine x Milotic thing until now. All the more reason why Pokemon has a deeper meaning than pocket monsters fighting all the time.

Tetrakeet

Lilligant's Caretaker
    Years
  • I believe the Ninetails is from Japanese mythology. The Kitsune, fox spirit, were known for their irresistible beauty and intelligence.

I have never heard of a nine tailed canine though..

Back